Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Devuan ASCII 2.0.0 stable

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Devuan ASCII 2.0.0 stable

#1 Post by None1975 »

The "Veteran UNIX Admins" have announced the release of Devuan GNU+Linux 2.0.0, a new stable build from the project that forked Debian in late 2014 to build a systemd-free variant of the popular community distribution. Here announcement.
We are happy to announce that Devuan GNU+Linux 2.0 ASCII Stable is finally available. We would like to thank the entire Devuan community for the continued
support, feedback, and collaboration. The efforts of Devuan developers are now focused on the third Devuan release codenamed Beowulf (Planet nr. 38086). Preliminary installer images should be ready for testing soon.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Wheelerof4te

Re: Devuan ASCII 2.0.0 stable

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Congratulations on the release! I've read the announcement, it's all good. They provide non-free firmware by default, so I guess that they chose a more pragmatic approach. There is a way to remove it via script, if I read correctly. But I cringed a little at the opening part:
Dear Init Freedom Lovers
Once again the Veteran Unix Admins salute you!
Just try to keep it simple and neutral, guys ;)

anticapitalista

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

Good to see! And I wish them all the best.

Shame it ships with libsystemd0 though.
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Hearty congratulations to the Devuan Team!
Release notes wrote:The expert install mode now offers a choice of
either SysVinit or OpenRC as init system.
Yay!
Wheelerof4te wrote:They provide non-free firmware by default
That's a shame, is there any thought of making a free ISO image available?

EDIT: ah, I see it is an option in the expert installer, very nice 8)

EDIT2: suggestion: make free the default unless non-free is actually needed by the hardware?
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2018-06-09 17:56, edited 2 times in total.
deadbang

llivv

#5 Post by llivv »

maybe one day experimental will figure out how to drop all the essential and required deps on that lib to make Debian a true OS of choice.

maybe wasted ions now that we are looking at 5gHz 32 and 28 core + threading machines.

darn socks
embroidered matrices
weave of the future

on a seriouser note, what frequency is microwave in the oven? on the cell tower ? from the processor?

NO CARRIER
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Hallvor »

Non-free firmware by default..? Thanks, but no thanks.

Systemd might be garbage, but it is at least open source garbage.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

n_hologram

#7 Post by n_hologram »

There's been conversation about this at d1g.

I've only built devuan systems from chroot and never had nonfree software installed. I read somewhere that you can disable it during the installer but haven't ran the stable ASCII installer.

Also, many (if not most) devuan derivates ship without non free firmware.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:suggestion: make free the default unless non-free is actually needed by the hardware
Refracta and crunkbong, at least, keep the non-free .debs in a folder within the home folder for optional installation during a live session. Is this kind of like what you meant?

Follow-up: I tried out the devuan installer image, and netinstalled ASCII stable. (I used lxqt 'cause I've wanted to check it out, but all other installer options are defaults.) The screenshot below reveals that no proprietary or non-free software was installed.

https://preview.ibb.co/j3hKYT/Virtual_B ... _43_27.png
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

n_hologram wrote:keep the non-free .debs in a folder within the home folder for optional installation during a live session
What an excellent idea 8)
deadbang

fsmithred

#9 Post by fsmithred »

That's a shame, is there any thought of making a free ISO image available?

EDIT: ah, I see it is an option in the expert installer, very nice 8)

EDIT2: suggestion: make free the default unless non-free is actually needed by the hardware?
Yes, if you do an expert install with a mirror, you will be asked about contrib and non-free, and your choice will be respected. We would like the installer to always ask, but apparently it won't cooperate with us.

I've thought about making free-only live isos, but for right now, there are the downstream remixes as mentioned above. I've also thought about making live isos for each of the desktops, but that's a big bite to chew. Doing both of those things would bring me from making two isos to making 24.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ Thanks for the reply!
fsmithred wrote:I've thought about making free-only live isos, but for right now, there are the downstream remixes as mentioned above. I've also thought about making live isos for each of the desktops, but that's a big bite to chew. Doing both of those things would bring me from making two isos to making 24.
No, that does sound like a lot of work, I'm sure the expert installer option will be sufficient for anybody fortunate enough not to need blobs.

EDIT: I use this to clense my system:

Code: Select all

# apt install vrms
# apt purge $(vrms -s)
:D
deadbang