Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mandrake Linux creator taking on Google/Android

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
fmp

Mandrake Linux creator taking on Google/Android

#1 Post by fmp »

This is excellent news for those of us who wish to be free of Google/Apple phones - two contenders that might be able to pull it off:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/1 ... e_android/

Worth mentioning Purism's Librem 5 phone, too:
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

And Lineage (de-Google your Android phone today):
https://lineageos.org/

debiman

Re: Mandrake Linux creator taking on Google/Android

#2 Post by debiman »

fmp wrote:This is excellent news for those of us who wish to be free of Google/Apple phones - two contenders that might be able to pull it off:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/1 ... e_android/
nice article.

purism's librem5 seems to be the biggest "thing" atm; i really hope this duval person's claim to work together with them is more than empty words.
there's enough potential to bring not only a true gnu/linux mobile OS, but also usable (small enough, fast enough) open hardware onto the market for a reasonable price, so don't waste it by constantly re-inventing the wheel.
lineageos is still based on vanilla android; it comes without G-apps, but that's not the same as android without google.
google's grip on android goes much, much deeper.
i daresay, there's no such thing as android without google.
not historically, and not in everyday use.

n_hologram

#3 Post by n_hologram »

fmp wrote: Worth mentioning Purism's Librem 5 phone, too:
Any news about this phone? Testing? Anyone here bought one?
Lineage is legit. I've been re-exploring CopperheadOS now that its Oreo (Android 8) release has stabilized. It runs pretty well now, although their F-Droid version is still a piece of crap; I disable it when I'm not using it. If I had a computer with 16gb of ram, I'd build it from scratch and modify some crucial features. All things considered, I still think it accomplishes its goals of being "the most secure" Android derivative.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:lineageos is still based on vanilla android; it comes without G-apps, but that's not the same as android without google.
google's grip on android goes much, much deeper.
i daresay, there's no such thing as android without google.
You are aware that Google is in the top 10 list of (corporate) contributors to the Linux kernel, right?

EDIT: Intel is number one :lol:
deadbang

HuangLao

#5 Post by HuangLao »

FYI, he also created Mageia GNU/Linux

PS: I've since left the smart phone scene and gone back to the sensible flip phone that, well actually is a phone. With that said, I would cheer on any open source solution for those that do use smart phones and can challenge Apple and Google with their dominance or at least offer a viable alternative.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

HuangLao wrote:FYI, he also created Mageia GNU/Linux

PS: I've since left the smart phone scene and gone back to the sensible flip phone that, well actually is a phone. With that said, I would cheer on any open source solution for those that do use smart phones and can challenge Apple and Google with their dominance or at least offer a viable alternative.
Indeed. I got rid of my smartphone 2.5 years ago and have been using a Nokia 'dumbphone' over since. It was a little unusual at first, but after two weeks without it a wave of relief came over me: no more feeling compelled to check email, social media, no checking for notifications and staring at the phone for entire train journeys . Smartphones have positive uses but their effect is mostly negative. Unless one's business depends on them because the user moves about a lot, they do nothing but distract the user, feeding their brains with misinformation and breaking down real-space communication.

I am thankful that I was born when I was so that I could appreciate the last decade the human race saw where we knew what offline meant - the 1980s. In a sense, I would be lying if I didn't admit that using the terminal in Linux has a nostalgic feel that puts me back in that place, e.g. using the terminal in BBCs or old IBMs. Now the majority of people are addicted to their phones and experience nothing but panic if they misplace it. As I have said before, it is an obsession with something that largely harms the individual, which is the true definition of addiction. Now most of us are too far gone to retreat, and we are even weaning our children on them.

As for the Purism phone, I probably wouldn't get it, but that's only because I can't stand touch-screen devices. Additionally, I'm on the internet enough when I'm indoors, I don't always want to be connected to it.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You are aware that Google is in the top 10 list of (corporate) contributors to the Linux kernel, right?
this has nothing to do with what i wrote there, and very little with what is being discussed here.
if you have a point, i cannot discern it.
it seems you are reacting to something that happened inside your head while reading.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

n_hologram wrote:
fmp wrote: Worth mentioning Purism's Librem 5 phone, too:
Any news about this phone? Testing? Anyone here bought one?
there's no actual buying yet, but you can place your 600$ now and get one in early 2019.
i am very interested (although it seems like a lot of money, but hey, we got used to electronics being too cheap).
i have asked a few questions on their forums, there's regular blog posts/updates, and the phone's own page is very long, you should read all of it.

eelo also looks very interesting, esp. the list of potentially supported devices: https://eelo.io/img/supporteddevices.txt (looks a little too good to be true, i wonder what exactly they mean by "devices that will be easily supported by eelo"...)

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:if you have a point, i cannot discern it
Google's involvement with Android is on a similar level to it's involvement with Linux, it seems strange that you are so opposed to using operating systems in phones that rely on Google's input but you have no compunction about using laptops and desktops :?
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

I'm with Lysander as fellow flipper. I do have some smart phones and don't use them as a phones, or email, or messenger, or even browsing. I would be nice to able to use them in a thousand ways that don't involve online at all. I'd re-purpose many if it were easier.

HuangLao

#11 Post by HuangLao »

CwF wrote:I'm with Lysander as fellow flipper. I do have some smart phones and don't use them as a phones, or email, or messenger, or even browsing. I would be nice to able to use them in a thousand ways that don't involve online at all. I'd re-purpose many if it were easier.

paper weights, door stoppers?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

HuangLao wrote: paper weights, door stoppers?
Well, don't know how to take that? Either you also dislike smartphones in some way. Or maybe you lack whatever it is required to imagine other uses?

HuangLao

#13 Post by HuangLao »

CwF wrote:
HuangLao wrote: paper weights, door stoppers?
Well, don't know how to take that? Either you also dislike smartphones in some way. Or maybe you lack whatever it is required to imagine other uses?
Here was my earlier post that you must not have read:
HuangLao wrote:FYI, he also created Mageia GNU/Linux

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

One of my kids uses the camera on a "retired" Smartphone for his drone.

I was reading some search results, sounds like they can be used as "remote" controls for various things as well.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by CwF »

Exactly.
I had a multi-phone AV wifi mesh built up and google hosed it. All of a sudden an accidental OTA slip up on my part and it started complaining. I had eliminated cell functionality and foolishly had playstore while not needed, it found a wifi link, updated, and blew up, all without my permission. I want an OS where that can't happen.

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
debiman wrote:if you have a point, i cannot discern it
Google's involvement with Android is on a similar level to it's involvement with Linux, it seems strange that you are so opposed to using operating systems in phones that rely on Google's input but you have no compunction about using laptops and desktops :?
that's the FOSS equivalent of saying
"Smoking is always unhealthy, whether you smoke one light cigarette or a whole pack of unfiltered a day".
It's true in a way, but its still MORE unhealthy to smoke a pack than one cigarette.
Living on principles alone is VERY unhealthy.

also, i doubt that google hardcodes phoning home into its contributions to the mainline linux kernel, unlike android.

and as always: do you have anything constructive to contribute, or are you just generally against things?

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:generally against things
^ This :mrgreen:

I really do think you should at least consider trying OpenBSD, unlike Linux it has zero commercial involvement and a clear focus.
deadbang

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I really do think you should at least consider trying OpenBSD, unlike Linux it has zero commercial involvement and a clear focus.
so they are working on a smartphone OS now?
that is truly good news.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#19 Post by None1975 »

I'm afraid that it would not be the same as with Mandrakelinux. But anyway. Good luck for the project.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github