Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mandrake Linux creator taking on Google/Android

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
debiman

Re: Mandrake Linux creator taking on Google/Android

#16 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
debiman wrote:if you have a point, i cannot discern it
Google's involvement with Android is on a similar level to it's involvement with Linux, it seems strange that you are so opposed to using operating systems in phones that rely on Google's input but you have no compunction about using laptops and desktops :?
that's the FOSS equivalent of saying
"Smoking is always unhealthy, whether you smoke one light cigarette or a whole pack of unfiltered a day".
It's true in a way, but its still MORE unhealthy to smoke a pack than one cigarette.
Living on principles alone is VERY unhealthy.

also, i doubt that google hardcodes phoning home into its contributions to the mainline linux kernel, unlike android.

and as always: do you have anything constructive to contribute, or are you just generally against things?

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:generally against things
^ This :mrgreen:

I really do think you should at least consider trying OpenBSD, unlike Linux it has zero commercial involvement and a clear focus.
deadbang

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I really do think you should at least consider trying OpenBSD, unlike Linux it has zero commercial involvement and a clear focus.
so they are working on a smartphone OS now?
that is truly good news.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#19 Post by None1975 »

I'm afraid that it would not be the same as with Mandrakelinux. But anyway. Good luck for the project.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github