Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I cannot see the administrator panel in Control Centre

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
alexyia

I cannot see the administrator panel in Control Centre

#1 Post by alexyia »

I am running MATE Desktop Environment 1.16.2 on Rock64. When I log in with root I only see Hardware, Internet and Network, Look and Feel and Personal under Groups. I saw in screenshots there should be an Administrator panel available. I did verify that root is a root user. I need to change the power settings and remove the screen saver.

Your help is much appreciated.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I cannot see the administrator panel in Control Centre

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

It has been so many years since I used the Mate DE, but I don't recall any
" Administrator panel ", where I did find some settings: System Settings >

Search results show a variety of solutions, usually depending on what Linux distro one is using, hint: the archlinux wiki has some good info, and often I was able to apply it to Debian as well.
If you do ask them at the rock64 forum like dilberts_left_nut suggests, and I agree , that would be best, seems like the rock64 is using "customized" distro versions, and most of what would apply to a standard version , might not apply.
But any way, if you do ask them, be sure to include more details, like what version (distro) of linux you are using, if it is Linux,...we have Mate available for OpenBsd,now as well,...
The current version of Mate is" MATE 1.18 ", and also that might be a good place to look for info about this, but I really think you can find a solution with a few searches.
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/docs:mate-conf

Code: Select all

mateconftool-2 -R /desktop/mate 
==== edit ====
Oops, guess that is gone:
http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/faq?s
Where is MateConf gone to?

In MATE 1.6 MateConf has been replaced by GSettings/dconf. You should now use dconf-editor and/or the command line tool gsettings. You can find more about it in the manual for GSettings
Now we are getting into some of the reasons I decided I don't need or want to use the Mate DE, ... any way, have fun, keep searching and you should find something.
==== edit ====
Well I also have been doing a lot of searches, the Mate website and wiki is not of much help, and I noticed the OP did ask at :
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6246
Apparently the answer did not work,...
I found this
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/stop-th ... ubuntu/678 for Ubuntu,
It does not say anything about a "administrator panel",
But does have screen shots, and is pretty straight forward, the OP would just have to try it, I don't have the means to try it myself,... if that does not work, try one of the other solutions, or make your life easier, simpler, if possible on this device, remove Mate, and install a Window Manager, and look into using the 'xset' command to disable any screen savers, if there are any.

alexyia

#4 Post by alexyia »

Thanks so much for the help! I am trying

Code: Select all

xset
now and really hope it works. I've been searching this for the last two days so I feel like I am getting a handle on what to properly search for. I am really new to all of this.
Much appreciated!

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome,
Like I said, it was a long time ago when I did use Mate DE, and to be honest I never tried to change that setting, but other settings, sometimes were hard to find details on changing as well, others were easy.
I really thought this would be a easy one to answer with a few searches, but it seems to not be that easy, there were a lot of different solutions in the results,
I would suggest, keep notes on what you do try, and what you do, if it does not work, try something else, use the notes in case something that does not work causes more problems, make backups/copies of any system files you edit or change, so you can all ways go back to them.
All though Mate is a nice DE, it grew and became to bloated,and complex for me, and their website/wiki, really is lacking, all of that lead to me not using it any more. But I guess that would be another topic.