New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

Postby ticojohn » 2018-07-23 13:17

I recently had fiber optic service, to the house, installed. Everything works well and is pretty fast (30 mbps internet and IPTV), at least for Costa Rica. But I saw something that was kind of puzzling.

I have Stretch installed on my HTPC (an Intel NUC) and it is using Wicd as the network manager front end. I did not have a static address set up for DNS but never saw issues using the DNS provided by my broadband cable service. However, I noticed that with the fiber optic service the DNS nameserver was really strange. In /etc/resolv.conf I saw this
Code: Select all
 nameserver fe80::1%eth1

I did a little searching and if understood correctly that is an IPv6 type address for my router. How in the heck can my router be acting as a nameserver? Anyway, I went in to the property settings in Wicd and added static primary and secondary addresses for the DNS.

Just seems a bit strange to me, but then I am not that knowledgeable about how all that stuff works. Anybody want to shed some illumination on this old fart?
I'm not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.
ticojohn

Re: New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-07-23 14:32

I'm no expert in this field, but my understanding is that your router acts as a dns server using the pre-configured name-servers, you can usually change this behaviour if you want to by adjusting the settings of the router to point to your preferred name-servers.

My /etc/resolv.conf also points to my (adsl) router for the name-server, and always (as far as I can recall) have done.
Dai_trying

Re: New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

Postby ticojohn » 2018-07-23 14:42

Dai_trying wrote:change this behaviour if you want to by adjusting the settings of the router to point to your preferred name-servers.

Thanks for that feedback. When I had broadband cable service, the DNS always showed up as a standard IPv4 address and was the DNS server for my provider. The new router is an optical network terminal provided by my new service provider and I am not able to get to it's configuration settings. But I did change the DNS settings in the Wicd preferences so I am now using (I think) my preferred DNS server.
I'm not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.
ticojohn

Return to Offtopic