Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ticojohn

New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I recently had fiber optic service, to the house, installed. Everything works well and is pretty fast (30 mbps internet and IPTV), at least for Costa Rica. But I saw something that was kind of puzzling.

I have Stretch installed on my HTPC (an Intel NUC) and it is using Wicd as the network manager front end. I did not have a static address set up for DNS but never saw issues using the DNS provided by my broadband cable service. However, I noticed that with the fiber optic service the DNS nameserver was really strange. In /etc/resolv.conf I saw this

Code: Select all

nameserver fe80::1%eth1 
I did a little searching and if understood correctly that is an IPv6 type address for my router. How in the heck can my router be acting as a nameserver? Anyway, I went in to the property settings in Wicd and added static primary and secondary addresses for the DNS.

Just seems a bit strange to me, but then I am not that knowledgeable about how all that stuff works. Anybody want to shed some illumination on this old fart?
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Dai_trying

Re: New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I'm no expert in this field, but my understanding is that your router acts as a dns server using the pre-configured name-servers, you can usually change this behaviour if you want to by adjusting the settings of the router to point to your preferred name-servers.

My /etc/resolv.conf also points to my (adsl) router for the name-server, and always (as far as I can recall) have done.

ticojohn

Re: New Fiber Optic sevice wierdness

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Dai_trying wrote:change this behaviour if you want to by adjusting the settings of the router to point to your preferred name-servers.
Thanks for that feedback. When I had broadband cable service, the DNS always showed up as a standard IPv4 address and was the DNS server for my provider. The new router is an optical network terminal provided by my new service provider and I am not able to get to it's configuration settings. But I did change the DNS settings in the Wicd preferences so I am now using (I think) my preferred DNS server.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.