Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

microwave emissions reduction - bluetooth WIFI

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
stevepusser

Re: microwave emissions reduction - bluetooth WIFI

#16 Post by stevepusser »

sunrat wrote:EMF sensitivity is a thing which affects people no matter what scientific research says. Whether it's purely psychological or has some physical basis makes no difference to those who suffer from it. I'm disappointed so many have sidestepped the actual question posed here to rant.

Bluetooth and wifi should be able to be disabled in the BIOS/UEFI. If you actually want to use wifi it's more tricky but as you've found a way to limit power there's probably a way to have it do that from boot. Likely not many people have considered throttling wifi power so there may not be much advice forthcoming. Maybe you can work out something with rfkill to boot with it off and manually start it.
Millions of people also knew that witchcraft was a real thing in the Middle Ages...

Barry Marshall is a doctor who went against the prevailing scientific consensus, proved that stomach ulcers are a bacterial infection by giving himself the disease and curing it with antibiotics, and won fame, fortune, and the Nobel Prize as a result.

Any of the "EM sensitives" have been welcome for many years to enjoy the same results by undergoing or conducting their own blinded tests to show it's really caused by EM. An eleven year old became famous and published in JAMA by conducting an extremely simple and similar test to show that therapeutic touch practitioners could not detect the "body energy fields" that they claimed to--not a single one of the woo peddlers had bothered to test themselves, because, like "EM sensitives", they know they are right no matter what any tests show. There's no point in trying to make a logical argument with someone like that, only to try to keep them from spreading more misinformation.
MX Linux packager and developer

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by CwF »

I share the skepticism, however... Various iron overload type diseases, genetic hemachromatosis, and the like can lend some sensitivities most would never experience. There have been experiments... With 35+ grams (1-3 average) dissolved and deposited in my body I most certainly could feel strong fields. MRI's and CAT scans would raise my temp, and I can feel the pulses... Never forget that almost all humanity has ever known, at first was wrong. Even today there are many things on the table we think we understand that are ripe for a flip. Ignorance is our default, the lack of it usually is only our pride.

golinux

#18 Post by golinux »

Microwave also does nasty stuff to the food cooked that way. It's no wonder our life expectancy is plummeting. I first read this in the 90s and decided I'd never have a microwave. Slow food on flame is the best way to go.
May the FORK be with you!

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

golinux wrote:Microwave also does nasty stuff to the food cooked that way. It's no wonder our life expectancy is plummeting. I first read this in the 90s and decided I'd never have a microwave. Slow food on flame is the best way to go.
What stats show that life expectancy is plummenting? That's news to me!

Next you'll tell me Mercola is an anti-vaxxer nutjob, too!

Oh wait, he is...https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/9-reas ... ural-news/

golinux

#20 Post by golinux »

stevepusser wrote:
golinux wrote:Microwave also does nasty stuff to the food cooked that way. It's no wonder our life expectancy is plummeting. I first read this in the 90s and decided I'd never have a microwave. Slow food on flame is the best way to go.
I read that article on paper long before there was much of an internet and no one had heard of Mercola. That's a reprint, not something he wrote.
What stats show that life expectancy is plummeting? That's news to me!
Search on "life expectancy lower". It's been going down for the last few years and just mentioned on the news last week.

We also have the highest infant mortality rate of all developed countries.

Welcome to America.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Post by sunrat »

stevepusser wrote:What stats show that life expectancy is plummenting? That's news to me!
https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/21/heal ... ncy-study/
Next you'll tell me Mercola is an anti-vaxxer nutjob, too!

Oh wait, he is...https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/9-reas ... ural-news/
Indeed he is an anti-vaxxer nutjob. He does post some good exercise and dietary advice. As with anything on the internet, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He is in the business of selling stuff after all, and that often leads to a conflict between ethics and profits.

I also don't have a microwave. I do think this is an excellent idea - http://www.vhemt.org/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

golinux

#22 Post by golinux »

sunrat wrote:I do think this is an excellent idea - http://www.vhemt.org/
Thank you for that sunrat! I figured all that out before I was a teenager and most thankfully avoided the trap of replication.

jibberjabber

#23 Post by jibberjabber »

I will admit, I hate food that has been heated or cooked in a micro wave, it just plain does not really taste like it should, in fact it is horrible. Don't need some scientist to tell me about that.
He is in the business of selling stuff after all, and that often leads to a conflict between ethics and profits.
Change the "he" to They :
They are in the business of selling stuff after all, and that often leads to a conflict between ethics and profits.
Most of it is all marketing, including the propaganda about wifi radiation poisoning, etc,... give it some thought.
Maybe it was all just a dream, but any way:
One CEO (droid) said to the other:
" How can we make millions selling a new product, when there is nothing new under the sun ? ",...
Other CEO, (bot) "Thinking.... please wait,..... ",
The other CEO (droid),... "Ok,..."
Mr.bot : ":idea: "
smoke starts coming out of Mr. bot, and lights blinking,
" :idea: :idea: :idea: "YES, I got it now, my man, we have a plan :!: :!: :!:

Mr.droid : " Great, tell me about the plan my man",...
Mr.Bot : "We start manufacturing protective clothing, that protects the humans from toxic rays, cosmic rays, and all kinds of radiation, including the deadly rays produced by the wifi and blue tooth, every office is using" ........
Mr.droid: "Hmm, I don't get it, nobody will buy it,..."
Mr.bot: "Think about it my man,... we start generating web pages , all about the scientific studies, proving wifi and blue tooth are dangerous to human health, you know we can make it sound good, and nobody knows for sure, but
they (the humans) are so easily manipulated, suggest some symptoms, and next thing you know they all have the symptoms, it will grow, like a snowball rolling down a hill ."
Mr.droid: " Ahh, ah, I am beginning to see the picture,.... Yes :!: YES :idea: :idea: yes, it is a plan,.. now my man, let's put the plan in action,...in Japan, my man, they will begin the production, and when the humans begin to panic, we will be ready, they will all start searching, " Where can I get clothing that protects me from wifi and micro wave radiation ?" or
Where can I get a suit and head cover to protect me from wifi radiation

Mr.Droid: "We can even use recycled bear cans, and other garbage to make the clothing, this is wonderful idea :idea: :idea: :idea: , hey it might even boost the price of aluminium, ....my man , you are a genius, ..... "
None1975 wrote:Ts, you should buy a foil hat
Then the "consumer droids" all say together :
"So now that we are all aware of the dangers of Microwave ovens, wifi and bluetooth, and these are essential items in our luxurious life styles, and at work to, but now that we know these things, the wonders of aluminium, it will save us all, we must buy our protective clothing and tin foil hats".

Anonymous said " I was almost asleep, and the dream began,..."
"So I told some friends about my dream,
and then a song writer wrote a song ":
In the Beginning
by Graeme Edge
" I think, therefore I am," And IT (the establishment )said "Of course you are,.....my bright little star..."
Establishment:
Of course you are, my bright little star...
I've miles and miles of files
Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
And now to suit our great computer
You're magnetic ink!

First Man:
I'm more than that
I know I am...
At least, I think I must be
Inner Man:
There you go, man
Keep as cool as you can
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe
That you perceive
The web they weave...
And keep on thinking free

http://www.webwriter.f2s.com/moody/lyrics/ottoad.htm

stevepusser

#24 Post by stevepusser »

US life expectancies plummet from 76.2 to 76.0 yrs, and infant mortality is higher than other developed nations.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the US has the worst and yet the most expensive health care system, does it? Or that more Americans are morbidly obese than in those countries? Why, if I could get outta my fat scooter, I'd kick ya right in the chakras! USA! USA! It ain't my fault, it's those dam microwaves!

golinux

#25 Post by golinux »

stevepusser wrote:US life expectancies plummet from 76.2 to 76.0 yrs, and infant mortality is higher than other developed nations.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the US has the worst and yet the most expensive health care system, does it? Or that more Americans are morbidly obese than in those countries? Why, if I could get outta my fat scooter, I'd kick ya right in the chakras! USA! USA! It ain't my fault, it's those damn microwaves!
Love your sarcasm. Add to that GMOs, agricultural and other chemicals and processed food. A way to make money off of us from the cradle to the grave. Pay to get sick by buying all those brightly colored cans and boxes that line grocery shelves and pay to try to reverse the damage with more chemicals. Cash cow.

Wheelerof4te

#26 Post by Wheelerof4te »

We don't get too many of these kinds of threads.
Of course, there was a solution to the OP's problem, but it's partial at best. Simply looking at the laptop screen will cause unnatural levels of radiation. Hanging around smartphones will get you irradiated. It's logical, since we humans weren't made to be looking at bright, radiating man-made screens. The only natural radiation comes from the Sun, and it too will harm us if we are exposed to it's rays for too long.

I am like the OP, I get pressure headaches after long hours spent near the laptop's screen. My recommendation would be to cut it to the bare minimum. Use your computer when you must, don't allow it to use you.

stevepusser

#27 Post by stevepusser »

The only natural radiation comes from the Sun, and it too will harm us if we are exposed to it's rays for too long.
Cosmic rays: "Hey, what about us!" By the way, the high-altitude woo centers like Sedona are more exposed to this radiation.

Radon gas: "Excuse me, I come from the radioactive decay of elements in the Earth, sir. Get woke!"

Naturally radioactive potassium-40 in your bones and precious organic bananas: "Radiationist!"

Lightning bolts: "Did you know we generate gamma rays? Look it up. Though we haven't managed to make anyone we strike Hulk Out yet, we'll keep trying!"

I thought GMOs would come up eventually. To see how wrong one case against it is, research (real science, not a woo echo chamber like Mercola's or Goop) golden rice and how the vitamin deficiency that it would cure maims and kills many thousands of children in developing countries. Good on ya for doing that as you sit there fat and sassy while children go blind. Good for you. Don't wanna contaminate our precious bodily fluids...Are the flat earth and the moon landings next up?

I don't have to go back far to find popular delusions that ended up destroying the lives of innocent people because the unsupported ravings of disturbed people were taken as gospel. There are still innocent people in prison because they were caught up and convicted in the Satanic Panic of the 80's and 90's. Are you going to defend those nutjobs? Go ahead and try.

Not to mention the thoroughly discredited facilitated communication, and how the "helpers" somehow constantly generate bogus accusations of child sexual abuse. That seems to be a theme with them.

golinux

#28 Post by golinux »

I think we collectively hit a nerve. stevepusser is coming a bit unhinged . . .

The hype of golden rice has been thoroughly debunked by reputable scientists for the about 20 years as being ineffective. I won't do the research for you but will say that I have been personally hanging with credible scientists who have been doing GMO research for decades.

Now, let's take this discussion to the next level of absurdity (with which I don't disagree) . . . This site recently popped up on my radar. I found this page quite describes the doodoo in which we find ourselves.

Have fun stevepusser . . . LOLOL!

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

And systemd causes cancer, too. Can we start that rumor?

I suggest you get out of the echo chamber and stop listening to the Food Babe and her ilk, too...but that's not gonna happen, is it?

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/ind ... gmo-lying/

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/ind ... on-travel/

Wheelerof4te

#30 Post by Wheelerof4te »

stevepusser wrote:Cosmic rays: "Hey, what about us!" By the way, the high-altitude woo centers like Sedona are more exposed to this radiation.

Radon gas: "Excuse me, I come from the radioactive decay of elements in the Earth, sir. Get woke!"

Naturally radioactive potassium-40 in your bones and precious organic bananas: "Radiationist!"

Lightning bolts: "Did you know we generate gamma rays? Look it up. Though we haven't managed to make anyone we strike Hulk Out yet, we'll keep trying!"
Steve, I've considered you a calm and level-headed person. The amount of patronizing sarcasm seen here really surprised me. No matter, we all have triggers, don't we?
Those sources are too random, obscure and irrelevant when compared to the energy radiated by the Sun.
golinux wrote:Now, let's take this discussion to the next level of absurdity (with which I don't disagree) . . . This site recently popped up on my radar. I found this page quite describes the doodoo in which we find ourselves.
The level of negativity and pessimism displayed over there would bring even the happiest person in the world to the dark side. No, thank you. I am pessimistic enough already.

golinux

#31 Post by golinux »

RU55EL

#32 Post by RU55EL »

paint-it-black wrote:[...]I found the txpower option in iwconfig and I can set the power on the linux box down to 1dbm, that works for me. However it is booting at 22dbm. I would rather it booted powered off with not even a beacon, and then I set the power, then if it has to be used, can turn it back on. xfce4 here has a network manager and I did turn the WIFI off by default, so does this mean the card is not transmitting?[...]
Have you tried iwconfig with the wifi turned off? I am not familiar with the network manager in xfce. Using Gnome, I keep wifi turned off all the time and use the Ethernet port for networking. I replaced the original wifi card so that I don't need non-free software if I should choose to use it, and I chose a card without Bluetooth simple because it was less expensive and I don't use Bluetooth on this computer.

Code: Select all

russel@u55a:~$ sudo iwconfig
[sudo] password for russel: 
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

tun0      no wireless extensions.

enp3s0f2  no wireless extensions.

stevepusser

#33 Post by stevepusser »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Cosmic rays: "Hey, what about us!" By the way, the high-altitude woo centers like Sedona are more exposed to this radiation.

Steve, I've considered you a calm and level-headed person. The amount of patronizing sarcasm seen here really surprised me. No matter, we all have triggers, don't we?
Those sources are too random, obscure and irrelevant when compared to the energy radiated by the Sun.
I was going more for the funny side than the sarcastic, but the radiation from radon gas that accumulates in basements presents a clear risk of cancer if not cleared out by good ventilation. I doubt that any one that contracted lung cancer from it would consider it obscure and irrelevant.

I would also argue that the inescapable radiation from K40 and C12 in our bodies can be more of an influence than the sun, which is not shooting beta radiation at us, but only UV rays that can be avoided or minimized with sunscreen and clothing. Potassium and carbon is pretty tough to remove from your body... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgroun ... _and_water

You may also laugh off cosmic rays, but many authorities do not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgroun ... _radiation
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-08-02 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Pick2

#34 Post by Pick2 »

stevepusser wrote:I was going more for the funny side ...
I read you post as comedic , maybe not stand up , but I can picture you sitting in front of your 'puter Smiling ... :)
Good News Everybody ! :lol:

stevepusser

#35 Post by stevepusser »

And before we cherry pick one country to represent all with so-called plummeting life expectancies, somebody concerned with facts instead of fear-mongering would look at other countries before making such claims...how about Japan? They're much more concentrated in urban centers awash with radio signals than US citizens, so they must be dying much earlier as the signals increased, right. Right?

Hunh. Whaddya know. Source: https://www.google.com/publicdata/explo ... &ind=false