Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

microwave emissions reduction - bluetooth WIFI

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
golinux

Re: microwave emissions reduction - bluetooth WIFI

#31 Post by golinux »

May the FORK be with you!

RU55EL

#32 Post by RU55EL »

paint-it-black wrote:[...]I found the txpower option in iwconfig and I can set the power on the linux box down to 1dbm, that works for me. However it is booting at 22dbm. I would rather it booted powered off with not even a beacon, and then I set the power, then if it has to be used, can turn it back on. xfce4 here has a network manager and I did turn the WIFI off by default, so does this mean the card is not transmitting?[...]
Have you tried iwconfig with the wifi turned off? I am not familiar with the network manager in xfce. Using Gnome, I keep wifi turned off all the time and use the Ethernet port for networking. I replaced the original wifi card so that I don't need non-free software if I should choose to use it, and I chose a card without Bluetooth simple because it was less expensive and I don't use Bluetooth on this computer.

Code: Select all

russel@u55a:~$ sudo iwconfig
[sudo] password for russel: 
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

tun0      no wireless extensions.

enp3s0f2  no wireless extensions.

stevepusser

#33 Post by stevepusser »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Cosmic rays: "Hey, what about us!" By the way, the high-altitude woo centers like Sedona are more exposed to this radiation.

Radon gas: "Excuse me, I come from the radioactive decay of elements in the Earth, sir. Get woke!"

Naturally radioactive potassium-40 in your bones and precious organic bananas: "Radiationist!"

Lightning bolts: "Did you know we generate gamma rays? Look it up. Though we haven't managed to make anyone we strike Hulk Out yet, we'll keep trying!"
Steve, I've considered you a calm and level-headed person. The amount of patronizing sarcasm seen here really surprised me. No matter, we all have triggers, don't we?
Those sources are too random, obscure and irrelevant when compared to the energy radiated by the Sun.
I was going more for the funny side than the sarcastic, but the radiation from radon gas that accumulates in basements presents a clear risk of cancer if not cleared out by good ventilation. I doubt that any one that contracted lung cancer from it would consider it obscure and irrelevant.

I would also argue that the inescapable radiation from K40 and C12 in our bodies can be more of an influence than the sun, which is not shooting beta radiation at us, but only UV rays that can be avoided or minimized with sunscreen and clothing. Potassium and carbon is pretty tough to remove from your body... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgroun ... _and_water

You may also laugh off cosmic rays, but many authorities do not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgroun ... _radiation
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-08-02 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Pick2

#34 Post by Pick2 »

stevepusser wrote:I was going more for the funny side ...
I read you post as comedic , maybe not stand up , but I can picture you sitting in front of your 'puter Smiling ... :)
Good News Everybody ! :lol:

stevepusser

#35 Post by stevepusser »

And before we cherry pick one country to represent all with so-called plummeting life expectancies, somebody concerned with facts instead of fear-mongering would look at other countries before making such claims...how about Japan? They're much more concentrated in urban centers awash with radio signals than US citizens, so they must be dying much earlier as the signals increased, right. Right?

Hunh. Whaddya know. Source: https://www.google.com/publicdata/explo ... &ind=false

debiman

#36 Post by debiman »

KristenBBrant52378 wrote:Does someone realize if a wi-fi router in a bedroom emits radiation microwaves that may pose fitness dangers for people? Cause I'm using this IP Address: 192.168.1.1 currently. I was thinking if it is a danger for other. Should we fear or use wireless with none situation?
"fitness"? i'm sure you mean "health"?

i wouldn't have the bed right next to the router.
mine is in the kitchen and there's a (not very solid) wall between it and my bedroom.
i would even consider switching it off at night, or when you don't use it.
same with mobile phones.

and the IP address has nothing to do with emissions.

GarryRicketson

#37 Post by GarryRicketson »

As long as you wrap yourself in tinfoil at night when you sleep you don't need to worry.

vbrummond

#38 Post by vbrummond »

First reply said it all. You can confirm objectively that you aren't sensitive to the radio signals. You likely should speak to a doctor. Though the technical problem remains, if OP wants to set his system up to reduce emissions, why should we stop him? Shame on you.
Always on Debian Testing

n_hologram

#39 Post by n_hologram »

debiman wrote:
KristenBBrant52378 wrote:Does someone realize if a wi-fi router in a bedroom emits radiation microwaves that may pose fitness dangers for people? Cause I'm using this IP Address: 192.168.1.1 currently. I was thinking if it is a danger for other. Should we fear or use wireless with none situation?
"fitness"? i'm sure you mean "health"?
Well I don't know about you, but I can get my steps in on my fitbit only when I've locked myself in a Faraday cage.

Probable mistranslations aside, has the op tried a tin foil shield between him and his wifi card? Shouldn't be a problem so long as you don't go out in public (although, in today's day and age, with all the wifi infrastructures, there's probably no way to avoid the issue). Or, just using ethernet?

Also hoping you see a doctor. (Is there a medical term for this condition yet?)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

Head_on_a_Stick

#40 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

paint-it-black wrote:Bluetooth
I blacklist the bluetooth modules to disable that "feature" on my machines:

Code: Select all

empty@buster:~ $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
btusb
bluetooth
uvcvideo
empty@buster:~ $
The uvcvideo module is for the camera but I don't suppose you need that :)
paint-it-black wrote:WIFI
The transmission power can be knocked down at boot with a udev rule, see this example on the ArchWiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po ... interfaces

The canonical guide is here:

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
deadbang

golinux

#41 Post by golinux »

I'd be equally concerned about what it's doing to the nutritional value of your food. I remember when this study came out and was first published in acresusa.com. I've never owned a microwave and never will. Don't have any wireless devices either.

stevepusser

#42 Post by stevepusser »

vbrummond wrote:First reply said it all. You can confirm objectively that you aren't sensitive to the radio signals. You likely should speak to a doctor. Though the technical problem remains, if OP wants to set his system up to reduce emissions, why should we stop him? Shame on you.
Because the next step these people always take is to try and ban wireless in the workplace and in schools for everyone without a shred of evidence that it affects them, that's why. Shame on you for not keeping up with current events!

I would be 100% on their side if they can provide peer-reviewed, non p-hacked studies to show that it is harmful...but am still waiting.

Head_on_a_Stick

#43 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Disabling bluetooth and reducing wireless power seem to be fairly reasonable things to do even if the OP's reasoning is specious, IMO.

EDIT: damn it, just read the OP again...

@OP: no, the wireless card does not transmit if you don't use it.

If the card uses non-free firmware (most do) then uninstall the firmware to render the card non-functional.
deadbang

n_hologram

#44 Post by n_hologram »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:If the card uses non-free firmware (most do) then uninstall the firmware to render the card non-functional.
Alternatively, remove or replace the card. (I've noticed a lot of wifi-bluetooth combo cards have pretty terrible bluetooth reception, so a non-bluetooth replacement might not be the worst option.) Also, don't some bluetooth modules on cards like those use wifi antennae? Maybe it would help to just unplug those and see what happens. 1dBm sounds intensely low anyway.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

vbrummond

#45 Post by vbrummond »

stevepusser wrote:Because the next step these people always take is..
Just in case I should clarify. My statement was that the op can easily confirm that they have no actual sensitivity to the radio waves and their problem is psychological.
Always on Debian Testing

golinux

#46 Post by golinux »

vbrummond wrote:. . . their problem is psychological.
Newsflash . . . in the end all our problems are in the mind (but let's leave psychology out of it because wack-a-doodle pseudo "science" only makes things worse).

llivv

#47 Post by llivv »

whatever the health risk(s) or lack thereof, there sure is no shortage of ways to connect
and cook the book
(picture for those who don't read good an stuff)
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/valveso ... lsize.webm
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

pendrachken

#48 Post by pendrachken »

golinux wrote:
stevepusser wrote:US life expectancies plummet from 76.2 to 76.0 yrs, and infant mortality is higher than other developed nations.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that the US has the worst and yet the most expensive health care system, does it? Or that more Americans are morbidly obese than in those countries? Why, if I could get outta my fat scooter, I'd kick ya right in the chakras! USA! USA! It ain't my fault, it's those damn microwaves!
Love your sarcasm. Add to that GMOs, agricultural and other chemicals and processed food. A way to make money off of us from the cradle to the grave. Pay to get sick by buying all those brightly colored cans and boxes that line grocery shelves and pay to try to reverse the damage with more chemicals. Cash cow.

Yeah, screw those GMO foods! I only want my "Organic" radiation bombardment induced mutations in my food, not some planned out genesplice from a lab!

Oh yeah, and why is it that people travel from all over the world to study medicine / get treatments for the rarest diseases in the U.S.? Must be due to having the worst medical health care system ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

golinux

#49 Post by golinux »

News flash . . . irradiation, genetic modification and sewer sludge fertilization are forbidden in organic production. Yes, I have been eating organically for decades. And it seems to work. At 76 no chronic health conditions, no doctors and no pharma.

I have known quite a few people that have gone to Mexico or even Asia for medical procedures. Personally, I avoid conventional medicine and have even opted out of Medicare B because I'd never use it.

We really need to get over our preoccupation with "saving lives". Birth is not the beginning and death is not the end. Go with the flow and let nature take its course.

pendrachken

#50 Post by pendrachken »

Newsflash for you then, irradiation mutations ARE considered organic. You might want to educate yourself a little more on what you are paying a large premium for. It's still being done to this day.

And I'm not saying that as mockery this time. It's still considered organic since the mutations are random and then selected out of the batch for desired traits.

Some organic producers may forbid irradiation, but certified organic can, and often is, produced and modified in this way.

There are myriad other issues, but I won't get into them on my phone right now.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P