microwave emissions reduction - bluetooth WIFI

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: microwave emissions reduction - bluetooth WIFI

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-07-30 17:34

stevepusser wrote:Cosmic rays: "Hey, what about us!" By the way, the high-altitude woo centers like Sedona are more exposed to this radiation.

Radon gas: "Excuse me, I come from the radioactive decay of elements in the Earth, sir. Get woke!"

Naturally radioactive potassium-40 in your bones and precious organic bananas: "Radiationist!"

Lightning bolts: "Did you know we generate gamma rays? Look it up. Though we haven't managed to make anyone we strike Hulk Out yet, we'll keep trying!"

Steve, I've considered you a calm and level-headed person. The amount of patronizing sarcasm seen here really surprised me. No matter, we all have triggers, don't we?
Those sources are too random, obscure and irrelevant when compared to the energy radiated by the Sun.

golinux wrote:Now, let's take this discussion to the next level of absurdity (with which I don't disagree) . . . This site recently popped up on my radar. I found this page quite describes the doodoo in which we find ourselves.

The level of negativity and pessimism displayed over there would bring even the happiest person in the world to the dark side. No, thank you. I am pessimistic enough already.
Wheelerof4te

Postby golinux » 2018-07-30 18:16

May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby RU55EL » 2018-07-31 18:46

paint-it-black wrote:[...]I found the txpower option in iwconfig and I can set the power on the linux box down to 1dbm, that works for me. However it is booting at 22dbm. I would rather it booted powered off with not even a beacon, and then I set the power, then if it has to be used, can turn it back on. xfce4 here has a network manager and I did turn the WIFI off by default, so does this mean the card is not transmitting?[...]

Have you tried iwconfig with the wifi turned off? I am not familiar with the network manager in xfce. Using Gnome, I keep wifi turned off all the time and use the Ethernet port for networking. I replaced the original wifi card so that I don't need non-free software if I should choose to use it, and I chose a card without Bluetooth simple because it was less expensive and I don't use Bluetooth on this computer.

Code: Select all
russel@u55a:~$ sudo iwconfig
[sudo] password for russel:
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

tun0      no wireless extensions.

enp3s0f2  no wireless extensions.

RU55EL

Postby stevepusser » 2018-08-01 02:40

Wheelerof4te wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Cosmic rays: "Hey, what about us!" By the way, the high-altitude woo centers like Sedona are more exposed to this radiation.

Radon gas: "Excuse me, I come from the radioactive decay of elements in the Earth, sir. Get woke!"

Naturally radioactive potassium-40 in your bones and precious organic bananas: "Radiationist!"

Lightning bolts: "Did you know we generate gamma rays? Look it up. Though we haven't managed to make anyone we strike Hulk Out yet, we'll keep trying!"

Steve, I've considered you a calm and level-headed person. The amount of patronizing sarcasm seen here really surprised me. No matter, we all have triggers, don't we?
Those sources are too random, obscure and irrelevant when compared to the energy radiated by the Sun.

I was going more for the funny side than the sarcastic, but the radiation from radon gas that accumulates in basements presents a clear risk of cancer if not cleared out by good ventilation. I doubt that any one that contracted lung cancer from it would consider it obscure and irrelevant.

I would also argue that the inescapable radiation from K40 and C12 in our bodies can be more of an influence than the sun, which is not shooting beta radiation at us, but only UV rays that can be avoided or minimized with sunscreen and clothing. Potassium and carbon is pretty tough to remove from your body... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgroun ... _and_water

You may also laugh off cosmic rays, but many authorities do not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgroun ... _radiation
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-08-02 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.5 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc1, Pale Moon 28.2.2, Mesa 18.2.6, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Postby Pick2 » 2018-08-01 03:49

stevepusser wrote:I was going more for the funny side ...

I read you post as comedic , maybe not stand up , but I can picture you sitting in front of your 'puter Smiling ... :)
Good News Everybody ! :lol:
Pick2

Postby stevepusser » 2018-08-02 17:57

And before we cherry pick one country to represent all with so-called plummeting life expectancies, somebody concerned with facts instead of fear-mongering would look at other countries before making such claims...how about Japan? They're much more concentrated in urban centers awash with radio signals than US citizens, so they must be dying much earlier as the signals increased, right. Right?

Hunh. Whaddya know. Source: https://www.google.com/publicdata/explo ... &ind=false
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.5 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc1, Pale Moon 28.2.2, Mesa 18.2.6, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Postby KristenBBrant52378 » 2018-11-28 04:46

Does someone realize if a wi-fi router in a bedroom emits radiation microwaves that may pose fitness dangers for people? Cause I'm using this IP Address: 192.168.1.1 currently. I was thinking if it is a danger for other. Should we fear or use wireless with none situation?
KristenBBrant52378

Postby debiman » 2018-11-28 06:46

KristenBBrant52378 wrote:Does someone realize if a wi-fi router in a bedroom emits radiation microwaves that may pose fitness dangers for people? Cause I'm using this IP Address: 192.168.1.1 currently. I was thinking if it is a danger for other. Should we fear or use wireless with none situation?

"fitness"? i'm sure you mean "health"?

i wouldn't have the bed right next to the router.
mine is in the kitchen and there's a (not very solid) wall between it and my bedroom.
i would even consider switching it off at night, or when you don't use it.
same with mobile phones.

and the IP address has nothing to do with emissions.
debiman

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-11-28 13:30

As long as you wrap yourself in tinfoil at night when you sleep you don't need to worry.
GarryRicketson

Postby vbrummond » 2018-11-28 13:44

First reply said it all. You can confirm objectively that you aren't sensitive to the radio signals. You likely should speak to a doctor. Though the technical problem remains, if OP wants to set his system up to reduce emissions, why should we stop him? Shame on you.
System: Retina 5K iMac, 27-inch, Late 2015 - Intel i5-6600 3.3ghz, 8gb RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB
vbrummond

Postby n_hologram » 2018-11-28 16:45

debiman wrote:
KristenBBrant52378 wrote:Does someone realize if a wi-fi router in a bedroom emits radiation microwaves that may pose fitness dangers for people? Cause I'm using this IP Address: 192.168.1.1 currently. I was thinking if it is a danger for other. Should we fear or use wireless with none situation?

"fitness"? i'm sure you mean "health"?

Well I don't know about you, but I can get my steps in on my fitbit only when I've locked myself in a Faraday cage.

Probable mistranslations aside, has the op tried a tin foil shield between him and his wifi card? Shouldn't be a problem so long as you don't go out in public (although, in today's day and age, with all the wifi infrastructures, there's probably no way to avoid the issue). Or, just using ethernet?

Also hoping you see a doctor. (Is there a medical term for this condition yet?)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-11-28 17:02

paint-it-black wrote:Bluetooth

I blacklist the bluetooth modules to disable that "feature" on my machines:
Code: Select all
empty@buster:~ $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
btusb
bluetooth
uvcvideo
empty@buster:~ $

The uvcvideo module is for the camera but I don't suppose you need that :)

paint-it-black wrote:WIFI

The transmission power can be knocked down at boot with a udev rule, see this example on the ArchWiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po ... interfaces

The canonical guide is here:

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby golinux » 2018-11-28 22:13

I'd be equally concerned about what it's doing to the nutritional value of your food. I remember when this study came out and was first published in acresusa.com. I've never owned a microwave and never will. Don't have any wireless devices either.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby stevepusser » 2018-11-28 22:45

vbrummond wrote:First reply said it all. You can confirm objectively that you aren't sensitive to the radio signals. You likely should speak to a doctor. Though the technical problem remains, if OP wants to set his system up to reduce emissions, why should we stop him? Shame on you.

Because the next step these people always take is to try and ban wireless in the workplace and in schools for everyone without a shred of evidence that it affects them, that's why. Shame on you for not keeping up with current events!

I would be 100% on their side if they can provide peer-reviewed, non p-hacked studies to show that it is harmful...but am still waiting.
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-11-29 05:57

Disabling bluetooth and reducing wireless power seem to be fairly reasonable things to do even if the OP's reasoning is specious, IMO.

EDIT: damn it, just read the OP again...

@OP: no, the wireless card does not transmit if you don't use it.

If the card uses non-free firmware (most do) then uninstall the firmware to render the card non-functional.
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic