Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Yakuake/Guake with text editor?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Yakuake/Guake with text editor?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

Do you know if there is anything like a Yakuake/Guake but with gedit/kate insteed a console text.

thanks.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yakuake/Guake with text editor?

#2 Post by sunrat »

Nano in Yakuake? ;)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I guess, Yakuake/Guake , are terminals
Gedit and kate are editors, I used to never have any problem running Gedit from a terminal, can't say I have ever tried kate.
From both Xterm, and XFCE4-terminal, I run most any editor I want, usually I use Leafpad, From the console, nano, joe, pico or vi, and ed will all work from a console.
I have never heard of a terminal that comes with a editor built in,... a terminal, or cli is what is what I use to start programs and utilities, such as a editor, file manager, etc. Or these programs usually can be started from a menu, in the WM or DE.
This question really does not make much sense to me, Has the OP done any searches on this, ? Does the OP understand what a terminal is ?

If you are using a terminal, type , for example:

Code: Select all

$ gedit 
it should
start "gedit", of course if you do not have gedit installed, it will not be able to start it. If this Yakuake or Guake are not being run with Xwindows,Xorg, or some display manager, then editors like gedit,leafpad, and so on , can not be run, only nano, pico, joe, ed, or vi, and some others maybe.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Had some fun with this, here is some screen shots that Bryan made for me,
============
===== and a terminal (xfce4-terminal) with nano (below)
=======
Note, when I saved the file with Leafpad , I named it "terminal-with-leafpad.txt", and when I open with the terminal, with nano, I did not save it as another file name, so the filename "terminal-with-leafpad.txt" is kind of misleading , it is the terminal with nano. Sorry about that.
So to sum it up , you could run nano, or one of the others mentioned with your Yakuake/Guake, but if you want something like gedit, kate, leafpad, etc, those would be opened outside of the terminal.
Postby bester69 » 2018-08-09 00:20
Hi,
Do you know if there is anything like a Yakuake/Guake but with gedit/kate insteed a console text.
thanks.
As far as I know , there is none, of any kind, that is based also on a search,
keywords "Terminals with text editors", and it appears there are none. There was one hit, explaining the difference between a terminal and text editor.
You can use the terminal, and just the 'cat' command to write a file, but that is not at all like "Gedit", etc,... I have done that in a emergency , and it was a base system, no editors were installed, not even vi or ed. But I suppose that is another topic.

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

Sorry guys, I think I didnt expain myself very well.. I was talking about a configurable rollback gedit/kedit lateral window, kind of Yakuak/Guake windows behavior. So that way we would have a gedit/kate running in background, and with a Hot-key we would open side the editor. It would come up in a rollback fashion really cool, cos editor would opened inmediatlly and would be rollback autohidden if picked that option. Everytime I open gedit or kedit I tend to lateral snap it and resized it to 3/4 screen parts.. for that I have to use a "wmctrl" (script). It would be interasting to have available an app with a Yakuake mode operation for embedded any others apps like in this case gedit/kate. :roll:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Oh, ok, sorry about that, I understand better, thanks for clarifying . Don't know of anything myself, but maybe some one will.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by oswaldkelso »

I use this with openbox keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+F10 Ctrl+F9 Ctrl+F8 but the mouse-wheel section could be easily modified to launch any application. You'd need to change the wmctl command to suit your editor and window sizes.

fittstool

[TopRight]
LeftButton=killall xmessage; xdotool key Ctrl+F10            
MiddleButton=killall xmessage; xdotool key Ctrl+F8            
RightButton=killall xmessage; xdotool key Ctrl+F9           
WheelUp=maxall                              
WheelDown=minall                            
Enter=xmessage -buttons -centre  "LMB=Split-V MMB=Lower RMB=Split-H Wheel=Maxall/Minall"

maxall
#!/bin/bash
window_ids=$(wmctrl -l | cut -f1 -d " ")
for window_id in $window_ids
do
    wmctrl -i -r "$window_id" -b add,maximized_vert,maximized_horz
done

minall
#!/bin/bash
window_ids=$(wmctrl -l | cut -f1 -d " ")
for window_id in $window_ids
do
    wmctrl -i -r "$window_id" -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz
done
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian