Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

base64 for an easy & strong encrypted key-pass.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
debiman

Re: base64 for an easy & strong encrypted key-pass.

#31 Post by debiman »

RU55EL wrote:I have no problem remembering several 25 digit passwords of arbitrary numbers, letters, and punctuation to access these accounts. It is good to use your brain as well as your computer. There is no reason that you can't remember good passwords if you put in a little effort.
arbitrary?
it is adorable that you are able to do this, but i think it has very little to do with effort, and more with some sort of genetic disposition.

bester69

#32 Post by bester69 »

RU55EL wrote:
bester69 wrote: Because My purposed idea was to get secure passwords we can always remember.. so we dont have to need available a password manager with a dangerous master key for it. [...]
I don't use a password manager for my bank accounts or email. I have no problem remembering several 25 digit passwords of arbitrary numbers, letters, and punctuation to access these accounts. It is good to use your brain as well as your computer. There is no reason that you can't remember good passwords if you put in a little effort.
hehehe And then, One day, Ups!!, Your forgot that key you thought wou would never forget.. I have six or eight different passwords in my mind I always use sometime combined with a two steps SMS authentification, but they are all of them easily recordable, not 25 digit passwords.. take care with that.. I recently forgot my whole life 4 number digits account bank,, It was really creepy, suddenly I was using my credit card, so I had forgotten the number i was using for years, insiting with the movil PIN, It got locked. It took me two days or so to recover my mind of that extrange lapsus. :shock: perhaps It have to be with drinking so much on some weekends.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

RU55EL

#33 Post by RU55EL »

debiman wrote:
RU55EL wrote:I have no problem remembering several 25 digit passwords of arbitrary numbers, letters, and punctuation to access these accounts. It is good to use your brain as well as your computer. There is no reason that you can't remember good passwords if you put in a little effort.
arbitrary?
it is adorable that you are able to do this, but i think it has very little to do with effort, and more with some sort of genetic disposition.
Can you remember your old phone number from years ago? Or your previous address. No special genetic disposition required.

All it takes is a little effort. I didn't learn the multiplication table overnight, but I was able to learn and remember it. The problem is that many people aren't willing to put in the effort.

These days you really only need to remember one or two good passwords, as long as you have a phone or computer with you. Those passwords can give you access to dozens of other secured passwords.

bester69, I have locked myself out of accounts by repeatedly typing a password too quickly and not realizing the cap lock was on. After the third attempt the account locks...Ooops! No big deal, I just to jump through a few hoops to get the account restored. Also, because we never seem to go anywhere without a cell phone, you should always use two factor authentication with important accounts.

debiman

#34 Post by debiman »

RU55EL wrote:Can you remember your old phone number from years ago? Or your previous address. No special genetic disposition required.
i specified "arbitrary", which i took to mean "completely random".
did you not mean that?

fwiw, yes, i remember my childhood phone number. it had 5 digits. and let's be fair, i also still remember the area code, that's 5 more digits.
so make that 9.
still very far from 25, AND that's digits from 0-9, not random characters a-zA-Z0-9 plus all sorts of punctuation.

like i said, if you can, good for you, i can't.

RU55EL

#35 Post by RU55EL »

debiman wrote:[...] i specified "arbitrary", which i took to mean "completely random".
did you not mean that?
That is what I meant. At least, as random as possible. Nothing is truly [mathematically] random.
Last edited by RU55EL on 2018-09-01 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

#36 Post by debiman »

RU55EL wrote:That is what I meant. At least, as random as possible. Nothing is truly random.
how philosophical!
i would say anything a person makes up isn't random at all (and hence easy to remember).