Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I love Firefox Quantum

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pawRoot

Re: I love Firefox Quantum

#21 Post by pawRoot »

Google knows everything about me anyway. :mrgreen:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by sunrat »

None1975 wrote:In my previous post, I had in mind that by default this function (Firefox Accessibility Service) has been disabled. I did not change any Firefox settings. I just tested these settings on my friend's computer, which I installed Debian today. Here is screenshot:...
Your screenshot shows the service is enabled. You need to check the box to disable it.
The service does not seem to have any useful purpose for me. It turns out the page I was most concerned about is still slow after disabling it anyway so it must be some other cause.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#23 Post by debiman »

pages load faster than on other browsers
this is some sort of myth that many browser distributors like to feed.
objectively, this cannot be the case, because the loading of resources from the internet is not dependent on the software doing the loading (*).

but there can be various mechanisms in place to make it *appear* so:
  • simplest: resource caching. but since all browsers do that anyhow, we can discard that
  • advanced caching? pre-rendered javascript etc.?
  • link prefetching: all links (or the ones that you are most likely to click? - big brother is watching (**)) are already loaded in the background
  • completely pre-rendered pages are fetched from somewhere (opera turbo is doing exactly that)
  • the browser appears to be not running, but is actually still doing things (chrom*)
what *can* be objectively faster is page rendering, and i will concede that chrom/e/ium might be top notch there.
but i bet it cannot beat the rendering times of my browser, with all javascript disabled :D

(*) um, yes, there has been an outcry recently where some new law was going to be passed in the USA that would make exactly that possible. i wonder what happened to that?
(**) i think it's easy to see that a google-owned browser would be particularly good in similar techniques.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#24 Post by None1975 »

sunrat wrote:Your screenshot shows the service is enabled. You need to check the box to disable it.
I made a mistake. I feel totally foolish. Thank you.
sunrat wrote:The service does not seem to have any useful purpose for me. It turns out the page I was most concerned about is still slow after disabling it anyway so it must be some other cause.
Yes You're right. I turned it off and did not feel any difference.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

ruffwoof

#25 Post by ruffwoof »

Blocking google as per adding the /etc/hosts entries in the Answers section of this posting https://superuser.com/questions/1135339 ... hosts-file massively improved speed for me. Yahoo news for instance used to drag whereas post /etc/hosts adjustment its reasonably quick.

I keep 2 hosts files, one with adblock type listings as per https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts, another with the above (and facebook) additions to that and copy whichever into /etc/hosts as/when desired (you can do that on the fly).

I also wrap my chrome launch around clearing out ~/.cache/chromium and ~/.config/chromium ... so the browser starts up clean. Loading a .html file that I manually maintain as my bookmarks file. I'm running OpenBSD and -current version of that has pledge and unveil that further limit what chrome can see in memory and on disk. Firefox in OBSD in contrast doesn't include unveil (filesystem access monitor/control).

pawRoot

#26 Post by pawRoot »

@debiman no idea how it works in the backend, but i can see big difference after switching back to Chrome.

Job

#27 Post by Job »

Firefox for me, both the one in Debian repos and Nightly. All versions of Chrome freezes my box while playing videos like youtube, idem with Epiphany which is actually a browser I would like to adopt.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

frank38

#28 Post by frank38 »

Yes, I agree. I've been using the same (downloaded) version of Firefox Quantum and I'm very happy with it. I desired such a progress for long.

Debian_purist

#29 Post by Debian_purist »

Chrome sucks !
period ! !
next ! ! !

Wheelerof4te

#30 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Hey look, it's H.o.a.S from the past! Hello there, little bunny :P

debiandonder

#31 Post by debiandonder »

The Firefox ESR 60 in the Debian repository is really bad! I type something in the adres bar and press enter and nothing happens. I switch to the Stable version in my debian based Q40S and everything works.

I thought the software in the Debian respiratories are extra reliable, was I wrong? :?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#32 Post by sunrat »

debiandonder wrote:The Firefox ESR 60 in the Debian repository is really bad! I type something in the adres bar and press enter and nothing happens. I switch to the Stable version in my debian based Q40S and everything works.

I thought the software in the Debian respiratories are extra reliable, was I wrong? :?
This is more likely some issue with your install rather than the Firefox version itself, otherwise there would be thousands of posts about it. A problem like this can be caused by a plugin or can be some other misconfiguration in your profile.
To test, you can disable all plugins and re-enable them one at a time to see if the issue reappears. Or you can create a new profile to see if the issue affects in default state.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiandonder

#33 Post by debiandonder »

I installed Firefox ESR using the Synaptic Package Manager. I do not use any plug-ins because Firefox has enough options in the preferences section, as well as die about:config options. The stable version of Firefox has no such problems.

bw123

#34 Post by bw123 »

It's not perfect. It took me awhile to get it to behave. I'll agree that default installation is a piece of trash. You have to tweak it, yeh it sucks but that's why I left windows, tired of tweaking, now I get the same crap on linux and no alternatives. No linux browser supported, only windows browsers, wtf?
The Firefox ESR 60 in the Debian repository is really bad! I type something in the adres bar and press enter and nothing happens. I switch to the Stable version in my debian based Q40S and everything works.
I really doubt that, the slow dns, hangs on "tls handshake" and other problems go way back, it's not a debian issue. Mozilla sucks.
Last edited by bw123 on 2019-02-12 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

#35 Post by Bulkley »

Q40S uses some "proprietary multimedia codecs." Who knows what conflicts they might cause. What else does Q40S have that isn't in Debian repositories? I couldn't find a source list.

debiandonder

#36 Post by debiandonder »

I discovered the problem! When I use Firefox ESR, installed from the command line and select "never" accept third party cookies, stuff start to act up. When I change it to "only sites I visit" everything works okay. I just wanted the try out the Debian version of Firefox and Chromium.

Q40S, based on Debian 9, install Chrome stable by default and also has a little program to install other programs like Firefox. I tried it and it installed Firefox 65 Stable.

I had to install many programs to make Q40S work fine, like Okular, gwenview and Banshee media player. The default program didn't work very well.

I decided to use Q40S because their website is very clear to understand, compared to the Debian website.

They also had a nice small, 332 MB install ISO, which was easy to download. :lol:

Head_on_a_Stick

#37 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bw123 wrote:No linux browser supported, only windows browsers, wtf?
Firefox is cross-platform but if you want a non-Windows browser then try lynx or links2, both are in the repositories.
deadbang

debiandonder

#38 Post by debiandonder »

I use chrome or firebox most of the time.

Why is the Chromium version in the Debian repository a Development version?

Head_on_a_Stick

#39 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiandonder wrote:Why is the Chromium version in the Debian repository a Development version?
It isn't.

Debian keeps up with the stable version, at the moment it is a little behind: v71.0.3578.80 is in stretch but v72.0.3626.96 is the latest stable release.
deadbang

debiandonder

#40 Post by debiandonder »

I just presumed that it said "Developer Build" that it was not the stable version.

So it's like Firefox ESR? Old but, stable?