Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I love Firefox Quantum

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Soul Singin'

I love Firefox Quantum

#1 Post by Soul Singin' »

I was very happy to see this in my apt-get upgrade this morning. Firefox Quantum is noticeably faster and lighter on resources.

Debian_purist

Re: I love Firefox Quantum

#2 Post by Debian_purist »

USE

Code: Select all

APT  UPDATE  
:!: :arrow: :idea:

( yeah , screamin )

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

^ UNIX is case-sensitive... and that command by itself won't get you very far.
:roll:
Soul Singin' wrote:Firefox Quantum is noticeably faster and lighter on resources.
faster definitely. lighter? how do you measure that?

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

"It feels faster" -Unknown Arch user.

I love it as well. ;)
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Soul Singin'

#5 Post by Soul Singin' »

debiman wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:Firefox Quantum is noticeably faster and lighter on resources.
faster definitely. lighter? how do you measure that?
I had both Firefox Quantum (from Mozilla) and the pre-Quantum version of Firefox ESR (from Debian) installed on the same system. So I ran both and compared resource usage with top. Firefox Quantum uses less %CPU and %MEM.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

Soul Singin' wrote:Firefox Quantum uses less %CPU and %MEM..
Pure righteousness. I can only confirm. I myself made such measurements. The current version is much better than the old one.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

i wasn't trying to contradict, just asking for clarification - "lighter on resources" is such a broad term...
:thumbsup:

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by None1975 »

debiman wrote:"lighter on resources" is such a broad term...
For example, the old version of Firefox ESR used about 100 megabytes more than the current, new version. Similar progress can be observed in CPU utilization. For example, when viewing Youtube videos, the old version used about 15 percent of the CPU, while the new version only uses 5 percent of the CPU. I think the difference is obvious in this case.

rivenathos

#9 Post by rivenathos »

I admit I was somewhat unhappy at first with this new version, but I have already warmed up to it. Yeah, it "feels" faster, so that is a good thing.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

IamJeffers

#10 Post by IamJeffers »

"Firefox Quantum uses less %CPU and %MEM."
That, I would definitely agree with.

rivenathos

#11 Post by rivenathos »

The one negative I had with Firefox Quantum was it was taking much longer to load pages than the previous ESR version. That was the unhappy part mentioned above. I did some digging...

Now, if you have the same issue as me, consider this:

Mozilla has now included something called Firefox Accessibility Service. You can research this if you wish.

Now, how do I disable Firefox Accessibility Service?

1. Click the menu button, and choose Preferences.
2. Select the Privacy & Security panel.
3. Go to the Permissions section.
4. Check the Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser checkbox.
5. Restart Firefox.

Once you do this, from my testing, you should have a much better Firefox experience.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

arzgi

#12 Post by arzgi »

Thanks rivenathos for sharing this!

That lag was really annoying, but now it is gone. :lol: Thank you again!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

Nice find @rivenathos!
Ingress intel map seemed to load really slowly lately but seems much better after checking that box.
Hidden background services are a PITA. I was considering changing browsers because of this but hopefully problem is mitigated.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#14 Post by None1975 »

rivenathos wrote:Now, how do I disable Firefox Accessibility Service?
I do not know what you were on. You yourself have been crushing something. To me, by default this function has been disabled.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

None1975 wrote:
To me, by default this function has been disabled.
It was enabled here and the Mozilla web page implies that is the default:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ac ... y-services
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pawRoot

#16 Post by pawRoot »

Tested Opera and Firefox but in the end went back to Chrome anyway, it just feels super fast, pages load faster than on other browsers, also syncing option works the best in Chrome. Firefox felt like a piece of crap to me, worst browser i have used.

rivenathos

#17 Post by rivenathos »

None1975 wrote:
I do not know what you were on. You yourself have been crushing something. To me, by default this function has been disabled.
@None1975, I am sorry you have may misunderstood the thought bubble in my post. For a possibly non-native American English speaker, you may have been confused by my choice of wording. Apologies are extended. American English is sometimes more complicated than British English, which I have heard is usually taught in European countries. Hey, it happens. Congrats on your General English usage since I have no comprehension of the Lithuanian language at all.

Now, that being said, I am confused by your references to being "on" and "crushing something." Is that some type of drug reference? Rest assured that pretty much the only intoxicant in which I imbibe is a beer every now and then. Cheers!

At this point, I stand by my post on September 25th, 2018 concerning the sluggishness of Firefox. I trust you have researched this issue on your end and found my solution workable for you. I wish you the best of luck.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

rivenathos

#18 Post by rivenathos »

@ sunrat - Yeah, I was miffed at this option being automatically enabled in Firefox. Ever since the update to Quantum, I was scratching my head trying to figure this sluggishness out. This really should be addressed in some way in the forum to assist others to stick with Firefox instead of switching to other browsers not in the repos. Just my opinion I wished to share.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#19 Post by None1975 »

rivenathos wrote:Now, that being said, I am confused by your references to being "on" and "crushing something." Is that some type of drug reference? Rest assured that pretty much the only intoxicant in which I imbibe is a beer every now and then. Cheers!At this point, I stand by my post on September 25th, 2018 concerning the sluggishness of Firefox. I trust you have researched this issue on your end and found my solution workable for you. I wish you the best of luck.
Hello and sorry for my bad English. In my previous post, I had in mind that by default this function (Firefox Accessibility Service) has been disabled. I did not change any Firefox settings. I just tested these settings on my friend's computer, which I installed Debian today. Here is screenshot:
Personally, I did not experience the problem that was discussed in this topic, but I thank you for the solution to this problem. It may be that this will help someone.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#20 Post by None1975 »

pawRoot wrote:Tested Opera and Firefox but in the end went back to Chrome anyway, it just feels super fast, pages load faster than on other browsers, also syncing option works the best in Chrome. Firefox felt like a piece of crap to me, worst browser i have used.
Did you know, that Google's Cookies Remain After Clearing all Cookies in Chrome 69?
Here is the video.