Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Meanwhile in the Windoze 10 world ...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ravisista

Meanwhile in the Windoze 10 world ...

#1 Post by ravisista »

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... te-history

Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809
Symptom Workaround

We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)* for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.
If you have manually checked for updates and believe you have an issue with missing files after an update, please minimize your use of the affected device and contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT, or find a local number in your area https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ne-numbers. Alternatively use a different device to contact us at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ (link will vary according to country of origin).

If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don’t install it and wait until new media is available.

We will provide an update when we resume rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to customers.
Ouch!

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: Meanwhile in the Windoze 10 world ...

#2 Post by Bloom »

That's what happens when a company that sells commercial software uses its users as beta-testers.
Meanwhile, a completely free and open source operating system provides thoroughly tested updates and upgrades that very seldom or not at all go wrong.

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

ouch indeed.
please minimize your use of the affected device and contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT
i bet that number is very busy right now.
how nonchalantly they are telling their users to just stop using their computers until they fixed everything.
of course, if full backups are activated it shouldn't be a biggie, but still... i'd demand a refund!

some more gory details.
"Microsoft promises to recover deleted files" :mrgreen:

Starborn

#4 Post by Starborn »

I work with the government of my country. We went from AIX back in 1996/1997 to Windows 2000 to SLED Linux 10 to Windows 7 to, now, Windows 10.

When I informed why they went Microsoft again, the reply I got was that they had asked Microsoft for the best way to "uniformize" the computer systems. I still don't know if that was a joke or if they meant it (I suspect the latter).

In 8 years of SLED Linux 10, we never had any problems (no wait, sometimes we could not open a PDF file - SLED Linux was never ever updated), but it worked just fine.

Then they got Windows 7, and now Windows 10.

I am the local "sysadmin" at work (the "LPU"), and in those 8 years of SLED Linux I have never had to call the IT Helpdesk as often as with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

In the latest Windows 10 build (1703, I believe) the start menu is no longer user configurable (an Active Directory issue?). When I complained, I got a reply that they are working with Microsoft on it. (Right.). My other colleagues don't care, but as a "power user" I am PISSED as hell. The Windows 10 start menu not only is horrible (which f***ing !*%§# of a developer at Microsoft came up with that start menu??), and now I am stuck with a start menu that I cannot change to my liking. (Why do I need shortcuts to the MS Office programs both in the "All apps" side AND in that stupid-squares side on the right? And I "hate" that MS Office ribbon. Luckily there are portable programs, which one is officially not supposed to use as it's not allowed to install software, but they can just go to hell with their Microsoft programs.)

I also got some FUD about Windows being cheaper and easier to use and to maintain than Linux. Right :roll:

I "hate" Microsoft Windows. It is the most unreliable thing that I have ever worked with in my entire life. It is crap.
When I AGAIN had problems with Windows, back at the end of 2004, I was so angry that I went and bought a Mac. After two weeks of Mac OSX with my iMac G5 (first Panther, later Tiger), I was wondering how the hell I had been able to tolerate Microsoft Windows for so long.
In my opinion, OS X is Apple's greatest invention.

And Linus Torvalds deserves a statue of at least 5 meters on every continent for having given us Linux.

I don't understand that there are people that honestly believe that Windows is good. I am "testing" Windows 10 on one of my main computers for a month or two now (still not registered), and that too gives me hassles. It feels as if the problems with Windows just keep coming back in every Windows version. In the 11 years of using Linux, I have never had as many problems as with Windows.

Everybody here knows how easy and fast updating Linux goes. Click-click (or tap-tap) and WOOSH. Well, in Windows it took and takes AGES, and you have to reboot every time (nearly). (And then I will not mention this "memory leak" bug that Windows Update had in Vista and in Windows 7. I have never encountered a problem in Linux update, ever.)

I am still using Windows Vista (which is nearly not as bad as everyone says - perhaps I have faulty installation disks [/sarcasm]), mainly because of "CorelDRAW Graphics Suite" (eat that, GIMP). On one of my main computers, Vista (64-bit) and Windows 10 run in dual boot. While with Linux I just installed GRUB and it works, it took me about a WEEK to get the Windows 10 bootloader to work properly.

As for Microsoft and their software: Microsoft is so bad that even their (Windows 10) bootloader is worse than the Linux bootloader. In GRUB you just choose what OS, and it starts. With the Windows 10 bootloader, when I choose to start Vista, the computer REBOOTS and will THEN boot Vista. :shock:

Why is it that a bunch of programmers can make a Linux distro that is so amazing, while a huge and rich corporation like Microsoft can come with something like Microsoft Windows? Do their programmers not have the same issues and problems that Windows users have? I mean, WTF?

And I have to stop typing, cos I get all upset. Microsoft Windows is crap (that is: compared to Linux and to macOS X). Crap, crap, crap. Aaaargh. My apologies for ranting. I need to go meditate now. :)

-oo-

The Windows haiku
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Yesterday it worked.
Today it does not work.
Windows is like that."
We're all star children!

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

You say that MacOS is Apple's greatest invention. However, in a way it is not their invention. The XNU kernel of MacOS is based on the Mach kernel, the same kernel that Debian GNU Hurd uses. In addition, it uses a lot of kernel and user space code from BSD. It even has official UNIX certification since 2007 (and interestingly became the first ever BSD-based OS to be a UNIX (which is ironic in the sense that BSD was designed to be a replacement for UNIX).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_ ... stribution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_(kernel)

But yes, I share yout frustration, Windows is horrible to use. Especially horrifying is the numerous menus with millions of little details in them and then of course the constant mandatory booting and installing of stuff.

v&n

#6 Post by v&n »

When we got our first lot of Win10 preinstalled Dell Desktops for our new office in 2016, I officially announced in my organization that everyone using that OS can expect zero support from me. Yet, I've just returned cancelling a full remaining week of my leave to deal with what now appears to be this exactly same bug, that has affected a brand new laptop of one of my seniors. He is such a respectable figure that I simply couldn't say "no" to his expectation that I should get his laptop fixed.

Irony of this is that I was the one who bought that laptop for him (hence his expectation). So why did I choose a machine bugged with Win10 in the first place? Because most of these innocent people, not very surprisingly to me, will choose to compromise their entire lives with that crap than daring to learn a new OS like Linux or Mac (some do get fascinated with Mac, but Linux? - strictly an OS for geeks - is the general perception here).

I won't be surprised if even such a huge mess up from MS fails to cause even the tiniest ripple to push some of the 'hostages' off to the 'other side'.
Starborn wrote:I am "testing" Windows 10 on one of my main computers for a month or two now..
I bow to you, O Lord Of Patience!
I tried to cope with it 6-7 times (mostly troubleshooting some network issues), and never made it past 20 minutes without starting to curse MS and resort to cheap shortcuts/workarounds just to get rid of those workstations asap. And I am popular as one of the 'most patient' guys in my organization.
Starborn wrote:..mainly because of "CorelDRAW Graphics Suite" (eat that, GIMP)...
Err.. I guess you mean Inkscape, because GIMP is supposed to be an alternative for Photoshop, and is really a very good replacement except lacking a few shortcuts, IMHO.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

If you have to use Win10 for some reason (I do for one pro audio interface that only has Win/Mac drivers - Digico UB MADI. And some games.), it's possible to make it behave much more civilly using a program like Win10Privacy - https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/
I spend a while going through all the options and disable almost everything including the accursed automatic updates.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Starborn

#8 Post by Starborn »

v&n wrote:
Starborn wrote:I am "testing" Windows 10 on one of my main computers for a month or two now..
I bow to you, O Lord Of Patience!
:)

I am thinking that I have masochist tendencies in me... :|
v&n wrote:
Starborn wrote:..mainly because of "CorelDRAW Graphics Suite" (eat that, GIMP)...
Err.. I guess you mean Inkscape, because GIMP is supposed to be an alternative for Photoshop, and is really a very good replacement except lacking a few shortcuts, IMHO.
I know nothing about CorelDRAW (nor about Inkscape). I only use Corel PhotoPAINT (in Windows) to do simple stuff. I "love" that program (tho I'm not at ALL an expert in it). I find The GIMP having many irritating things (like that floating Toolbox, before, which I think is not much better when attached to the main program window). Who uses GIMP's xcf file format? And why always asking me, if I want to save a file, if I did already save - I mean, export - it? Ggggg(gag).

Long, long ago, I got Corel "PhotoPAINT 7 SE" to work under Wine; it worked, but there were minor problems, and I just left it.

I don't mind about proprietary software (as long as it's not forced down my throat): if Corel made a Linux version of PhotoPAINT (and if the price were not unreasonable), I'd buy it immediately.
We're all star children!

Starborn

#9 Post by Starborn »

sunrat wrote:If you have to use Win10 for some reason (I do for one pro audio interface that only has Win/Mac drivers - Digico UB MADI. And some games.), it's possible to make it behave much more civilly using a program like Win10Privacy - https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/
Very interesting! I will try it out.

I used to play "yesterday's games" on my (medium-end) Vista-based computer, until Steam stopped supporting Vista. I have started playing "Skyrim" again, which works fine under "Wintendo" 10.

Mass Effect 2 is a game that I played in Vista, and of which I have great memories. I'm kind of a SciFi fan ("fan", as in fanatic). Haven't tried it in Win10 yet.
We're all star children!