R.I.P Microsoft

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

R.I.P Microsoft

Postby bluesdog » 2007-04-13 04:47

Microsoft's biggest weakness is that they still don't realize how much they suck. They still think they can write software in house. Maybe they can, by the standards of the desktop world. But that world ended a few years ago

Amusing, and intriguing point of view...
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*
bluesdog

Postby fangorn » 2007-04-13 08:15

Main problem is not that Microsoft writes software that is too good to look for something new. The main problem for the people I know is, that the "Windows Experience" does not hurt enough to change bad habbits. Most of these people are pissed off by some strange behaviour. They swear about windows loosing settings all of a sudden, ...

But the hurt is not big enough to consider learning another system, no matter how much you tell them "it is easy to learn".
fangorn

Postby thamarok » 2007-04-13 13:08

Windows 2000 Professional is a great and wonderful Windows system. The newer Windows' (especially Vista) concentrate too much on GUI rather than productivity.
thamarok

m i c k e y m o u s e

Postby llivv » 2007-04-13 14:20

Who's the leader of the pack that made for you and me!
M I C K E Y M O U S E

I've shared this view
Paul wrote:Because remember, the Microsoft monopoly didn't begin with Microsoft. They got it from IBM.
for a long time. I will take it one step further though. If you think about how things are structured in most of our lives, it's very hierarchical , in many ways. This provides both tension and competition. Thus, by disassoci·ation we can believe we are relaxed. this is "no thing" new, it's been around since the dawn of time. I refer to it as the human condition blah blah blah "Yes, we already know this" ,"What's the/your point"? Well, my point is that in the above quote Paul left out an essential "in-gredie-nt' of the saga. The software is part of a platform " you know like the platforms (soap box) government officials use to get elected. Wait, I"m having a hard time following this, what is the platform? I'll get to that in a minute, but first I need to lay the foundation for my argument. We all as human beings have a LOT of funny behaviors we would rather not have to think about very often (if ever). But, the aforementioned hierarchical structure drives us and we are slaves to it's ends. Like it or not, LIFE! blah blah blah (tha's life) More of my hopes/fears in "my last post" to this thread OK, so the platform is known in the industry as "wintel" a unique idea, that I'm certain some marketing genius will take credit for in the future. I have often refered to the two primary players in this platform as "IBM's unruly children" or in business terms I guess a close analogy would be spinoff's. Whom have grown up to be as unruly if not "more so" than their parent. I've been glared at more than a few times "with that look" while doing my best to explain my views. Personally, I have come to the point where I disassociate from that "look". I hope the day will come when at least someone understands some of the things in my environment that have made me what I am.
eof
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Re: m i c k e y m o u s e

Postby Fluenza » 2007-04-13 21:54

{quote="llivv"]
We all as human beings have a LOT of funny behaviors we would rather not have to think about very often (if ever).[/quote]

And we have behaviours that we consciously think of. Example: I pick my nose. It's a behaviour that I consciously think about and do. I do it because it's disgusting and unappealing.

llivv wrote: I hope the day will come when at least someone understands some of the things in my environment that have made me what I am.
eof

But no one knows anything about your environment. There can be no understanding in ignorance. Man, I think I want to be a Buddhist Monk when I grow up. But I was "so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

See what I mean? It's all just noise. :P
Last edited by Fluenza on 2007-04-13 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)
Fluenza

Postby hcgtv » 2007-04-13 21:59

I was at the computer store yesterday shopping for a wireless keyboard and I happened on a Gateway computer hooked up to a 22 inch LCD screen. I was in awe of the screen, lusted over it, wish I had one. The computer was running Vista, didn't really give a sh*t.

As a computer company, you know you're in trouble when a Geek doesn't care about your new operating system offering.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby Fluenza » 2007-04-13 22:20

hcgtv wrote:I was at the computer store yesterday shopping for a wireless keyboard and I happened on a Gateway computer hooked up to a 22 inch LCD screen. I was in awe of the screen, lusted over it, wish I had one. The computer was running Vista, didn't really give a sh*t.

As a computer company, you know you're in trouble when a Geek doesn't care about your new operating system offering.

I could never really get into Gateway machines. There's just something about cows that I find unappealing. I see big, dumb, slow animals and always get the feeling that I'm being milked. At least they had the sensibility to drop the "2000" from their name.

Ironically, I setup a linux box as a router/firewall and named it gateway. There's an Apache server running on it that says "Welcome to gateway." (gateway is the hostname of the machine) It's funny, because gateway is the machine that I don't want to use. It's the machine I use to keep people away from my "real" computers.
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)
Fluenza

Postby hcgtv » 2007-04-13 22:40

Fluenza wrote:I could never really get into Gateway machines.

I have two Gateway laptops, they've worked out well for me. With Microsoft forcing manufacturers to load Vista, the laptops will be the last purchase I make from any computer company forcing Windows on me.

Internally, my Linksys router is named gateway :)
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby Fluenza » 2007-04-13 23:08

hcgtv wrote:I have two Gateway laptops, they've worked out well for me.

I want to get a laptop someday. But it's really low on my priority list at the moment. My number one priority at this moment, is not what I can get, but what I can get rid of. Who'd have thunk that someone would have to fight so hard to lose something. And I'm not talking about virginity; that was easy to lose. :D
Fluenza

Postby jezebelus » 2007-04-22 09:15

He, he the best thread title I've ever seen. Seriously I would really like someone to blow them away, maybe some terrorist act :idea:
jezebelus

Return to Offtopic