Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google+ shuts down within the next ten months

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Danielsan

Google+ shuts down within the next ten months

#1 Post by Danielsan »

This what announced Gugl apparently after a recent data breach (that compared to the latest breach happened to Fasebuk seems more like a scratch). We already knew that the social will close because the lack of revenue, anything else (especially privacy or costumer protection) is simply untruth.

https://www.blog.google/technology/safe ... ct-strobe/
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/08/googl ... wn-google/

A lot of people already landed on others floss social networks like Diaspora (my favorite one) and Mastodon.

Another example that we had better to not rely on centralized and private service, ever.

Segfault

Re: Google+ shuts down within the next ten months

#2 Post by Segfault »

There is also usa.life. They are not yet online though.
I personally do not feel the need to chat with people about what my dog did today, no social media accounts for me. And the prospect of being banned or shadowbanned for expressing something against Google/Twitter/Facebook destructive leftist agenda is not appealing for me, either.
Even here in this site posts like this may get locked or deleted, I've felt strong left bias here.

debiman

Re: Google+ shuts down within the next ten months

#3 Post by debiman »

funny how google always makes it look like they have nothing but their users' privacy in mind, when in reality it's the sheer opposite: make more user data into more money! G+ wasn't good enough at that, let's shut it down!
that blog post is a particularly fine example of obfuscation through empty words.