Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

So, IBM acquires Red Hat.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pylkko

Re: So, IBM acquires Red Hat.

#21 Post by pylkko »

The argument is put forward there that Red Hat projects are mostly more permissive than GPL. While this is true, this appears to be a very general trend all around, unfortunately. I think that scape goating Red Hat for that specific thing takes attention away from this reality. I guess people see it as a way to get a broad audience for their code. And perhaps desperately hope that industry will recognize them for it...

Job

#22 Post by Job »

sunrat wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist nutcases will be all over this news like a rash and anybody they can manage to convince with their drivel will want to use sysvinit because that is the One True Init System, or something.
Indeed, I'm getting a few chuckles out of this thread already.

The world has more important issues than this - loss of bees and extinction of species, poisoning of food and water, climate change, antibiotic resistance. Tons of things that will affect our lives way more than who owns companies which work with open source software.
It is OPEN source, to make a point. Remember OpenOffice?
Thanks for posting that.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

llivv

#23 Post by llivv »

Jeopardy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy!

"Art, I'll take History for 200"

"And your question is"
What is antitrust?

! pop - $ ~ .
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Starborn

#24 Post by Starborn »

It could have been worse. It could have been Microsoft, instead of IBM.
We're all star children!

thekramer

#25 Post by thekramer »

Starborn wrote:It could have been worse. It could have been Microsoft, instead of IBM.
Wait for Canonical to be acquired by Microsoft in the next 12 months. It's not just Redhat by IBM for $34 Billion, OpenSUSE was sold by Micro Focus to EQT a Swedish-based private equity for $2.5 Billion in June.

So if Microsoft buys Canonical, what could that mean for the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian?

Starborn

#26 Post by Starborn »

thekramer wrote:So if Microsoft buys Canonical, what could that mean for the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian?
Imagine "Microsoft Linux". :shock:

When it comes to the "Redmond Posse", I always wonder if (and hope that) the GPL's are strong enough.
We're all star children!

pylkko

#27 Post by pylkko »

Maybe you missed it but microsoft started to sell its own desktop linux in the microsoft store last week

Head_on_a_Stick

#28 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:microsoft started to sell its own desktop linux in the microsoft store last week
Fake news! :mrgreen:

There is a GNU/Linux variant for sale in the store but it's not sold by MS and it is MIT-licensed and so can be legally copied & re-distributed by anybody.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=139026
deadbang

pylkko

#29 Post by pylkko »

Ok. I thought it was distributed by ms.

milomak

#30 Post by milomak »

my 2c here is that companies like ibm, oracle etc see that open source is something that is a threat to their software business.

they also realise that the very nature of open source means that it is not the os that they must concentrate on. windows core os will probably be free sooner than we recognise.

it probably becomes about what can you bolt on to the core os. i don't know what this is. and i suspect they also haven't quite figured it out yet. but for me this is where the money is. oh and support as always.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

debiman

#31 Post by debiman »

milomak wrote:my 2c here is that companies like ibm, oracle etc see that open source is something that is a threat to their software business.
well my 2ct is that large companies have realised that it's possible to make shitloads of money with open source.
google showed them how it works, and now everyone wants a slice of that.
the GPL is there like a large obstacle that needs to be manouvred around.

Head_on_a_Stick

#32 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:large companies have realised that it's possible to make shitloads of money with open source
Perhaps I am naive but I like to think that the big software companies have finally realised that open source development works better than the closed model.

If everybody can see the code then everybody can contribute to making it better.

EDIT: and IBM are pursuing open source hardware development now:

https://openpowerfoundation.org/

POWER9 FTW!
deadbang