Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

So, IBM acquires Red Hat.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: So, IBM acquires Red Hat.

#2 Post by oswaldkelso »

tin foil hat time. Suddenly sysvinit get a new leas of life :P
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Maybe their next supercomputer will be called Deep Purple. :shock: :)

I will revisit this thread in 2 years and judge everyone's predictions. :mrgreen: 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Zjho

#4 Post by Zjho »

Gnome may now achieve something nobody thought possible ..get even heavier.

KBD47

#5 Post by KBD47 »

Why do I think that in a couple of years, after the dust clears, only Debian and perhaps Arch will be left standing out of the big ones as Linux is bought up?

golinux

#6 Post by golinux »

KBD47 wrote:Why do I think that in a couple of years, after the dust clears, only Debian and perhaps Arch will be left standing out of the big ones as Linux is bought up?
If Debian continues down the systemd path, I predict it's future does not look bright. Time to exit that madness is NOW, return to a COMMUNITY (not corporate-based) leadership or be pwned by IBM et al . . .
May the FORK be with you!

KBD47

#7 Post by KBD47 »

golinux wrote:
KBD47 wrote:Why do I think that in a couple of years, after the dust clears, only Debian and perhaps Arch will be left standing out of the big ones as Linux is bought up?
If Debian continues down the systemd path, I predict it's future does not look bright. Time to exit that madness is NOW, return to a COMMUNITY (not corporate-based) leadership or be pwned by IBM et al . . .
IBM now owns Gnome and Systemd and Fedora and CentOS. I'd love to see Debian drop Gnome as its default DE (choose KDE & QT instead) and kill systemd. Debian is going to regret following Redhat down the primrose path :(

Danielsan

#8 Post by Danielsan »

I don't see a brilliant future for RedHat when the ibm's shareholders, that can't care anything about opensource, will begin to demand their investment back we will see a lot of bad things.. :(

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

oswaldkelso wrote:tin foil hat time. Suddenly sysvinit get a new leas of life :P
Can you explain this commment a bit. What does sysvinit have to do with this?
Zjho wrote:Gnome may now achieve something nobody thought possible ..get even heavier.
I think it is not only possible but a certainty that Gnome and other DE also will get heavier in the future. But I highly doubt that IBM acquiring Red Hat will have any effect at all on Gnome development. Why do you think that would be? After all, IBM says that Red Hat will continue functioning mostly as is. In addition it is not exactly like as if Red Hat fuly controls Gnome development, right?
Remember that linux distributions all revolve around the kernel. And isn't it heavily influenced and developed by the industry?
golinux wrote:If Debian continues down the systemd path, I predict it's future does not look bright. Time to exit that madness is NOW, return to a COMMUNITY (not corporate-based) leadership or be pwned by IBM et al . . .
Do you think that kernel development is "corporate-based leadership" or not? Isn't systemd a lesser evil in this case?
Danielsan wrote:I don't see a brilliant future for RedHat when the ibm's shareholders, that can't care anything about opensource, will begin to demand their investment back we will see a lot of bad things.. :(
Don't you think that open source is actually a thing that investors and shareholders are inteterested in. This would explain why large shareholder owned companies like Google and Microsoft are getting into open source as much as possible? For example the openBMC project that aims to allow you to have fully open source firmware, on their web page mentions as sponsors and affiliates, Google, Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Facebook.
According to IBM themselves, they are interted in Red Hat because of the hybrid cloud tech/super computer platform that it offers. Like the Sierra and Summit supercomputers that run on IBM POWER9 architecture and Red Hat software stack (AFAIK). But they say in the release that companies use only on average 20% cloud for compute "things". I think their business strategy is based on the presumption that one day all computing in all companies will be done 100% in the cloud and that this is a "growing market" in the next 5 years (or whatever time frame they use to make such decisions). Do you think that they have larger interest in the enterprise linux distributions that Red Hat offers?

golinux

#10 Post by golinux »

Lennart Poettering
‏ @pid_eins
8:02 AM - 29 Oct 2018

As you all know we never have been fans of portability. It will come at no surprise that in light of the recent developments we will discontinue all non-S/390 ports of systemd very soon now. Please make sure to upgrade to an S/390 system soon. Thank you for understanding.
https://twitter.com/pid_eins/status/1056924336349691905

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pylkko wrote:
oswaldkelso wrote:tin foil hat time. Suddenly sysvinit get a new leas of life :P
Can you explain this commment a bit. What does sysvinit have to do with this?
The tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist nutcases will be all over this news like a rash and anybody they can manage to convince with their drivel will want to use sysvinit because that is the One True Init System, or something.
pylkko wrote:Do you think that kernel development is "corporate-based leadership" or not? Isn't systemd a lesser evil in this case?
Quoted for truth.
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist nutcases will be all over this news like a rash and anybody they can manage to convince with their drivel will want to use sysvinit because that is the One True Init System, or something.
Indeed, I'm getting a few chuckles out of this thread already.

The world has more important issues than this - loss of bees and extinction of species, poisoning of food and water, climate change, antibiotic resistance. Tons of things that will affect our lives way more than who owns companies which work with open source software.
It is OPEN source, to make a point. Remember OpenOffice?
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

golinux

#13 Post by golinux »

@sunrat . . . you might find this site more to your liking. Takes on issues that are definitely more important than this topic. But as we are well aware, our species is its own worst enemy so don't expect solutions or restraint . . .

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

golinux wrote:@sunrat . . . you might find this site more to your liking. Takes on issues that are definitely more important than this topic. But as we are well aware, our species is its own worst enemy so don't expect solutions or restraint . . .
I already volunteered not to reproduce. ;)
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

That is fine, but it is more fun reproducing. Not sure what that has to do with IBM and red hats, but since it was mentioned.

bw123

#16 Post by bw123 »

Since we all try to solve bugs on their implebominatations, when do I get my check from IBM now? who gets the cash? IBM should spread it around a little, I mean they get it from big G for nothing...?

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/s ... ance-sheet

*hint, search for "debt"

...for people who hate redhat, looks like this might be the quickest way to kill it, you should be glad. Like getting rid of a bad woman, the quickest way (not cheapest) is marry her so you can get a divorce.

Maybe better: Marrying off an ugly sister to a rich old man so you don;t have to eat her cooking anymore?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_team
resigned by AI ChatGPT

llivv

#17 Post by llivv »

# a Gong
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Zjho

#18 Post by Zjho »

pylkko wrote:I highly doubt that IBM acquiring Red Hat will have any effect at all on Gnome development. Why do you think that would be? After all, IBM says that Red Hat will continue functioning mostly as is. In addition it is not exactly like as if Red Hat fuly controls Gnome development, right?
I don't believe any one distro provider fully controls Gnome but this new acquisition will result in IBM's ample cash supplies supporting all RedHat's interests of which Gnome's desktop environment development is one. Imagine i'll continue enjoy using Gnome for some time yet.

Danielsan

#19 Post by Danielsan »

pylkko wrote:Don't you think that open source is actually a thing that investors and shareholders are inteterested in...
I guess that for the majority of shareolders opensource doen't mean anything... :roll: Anyway as you said and as the pr communication said, IBM is interested in the cloud and Red Hat will be an entity inside a branch of IBM, which means that some project sponsored by Red Hat will be eventually dismissed it is unavoidable...

https://purpleidea.com/blog/2018/10/30/ ... red-giant/

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Excellent piece, thanks for that.

I'm not so sure IBM is hostile to the GPL though — didn't they spend millions defending it in the SCO lawsuits?
deadbang