Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

affordable vpn

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
tendouser

affordable vpn

#1 Post by tendouser »

Does anybody knows an affordable and reliable VPN provider?
Last edited by tendouser on 2018-11-18 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

Re: afforable vpn

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Nobody knows what is affordable, that depends on various things, and what is affordable to Joe, might not be affordable to the OP.
Does anybody knows an affordable and reliable VPN provider?

Please read this; Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
Instead of being a help vampire, please start doing your own searches in the future.

The other thing about this type of question, even though it is in off topic, it also is a open invitation to spammers, and gives all the SEO bots a excuse to promote their companies, in this case VPN providers. This forum is not intended to be a "promote your company" site. It would be spam to post links to specific VPN providers, so anyone posting a reply should keep that in mind, perhaps even better just send the OP a PM (private message) if you have some VPN provider you wish to promote. With that said, I hope maybe a mod or admin simply closes/locks the topic. It is solved, the OP could do a simple search, and review the prices in the many results.
Thank you

tendouser

Re: afforable vpn

#3 Post by tendouser »

i got a vpn provider...affordable by the way!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: affordable vpn

#4 Post by sunrat »

@Garry I think you're being over-restrictive here. There are a lot of VPNs out there that should not be recommended and may not be shown as such in a search. It's hard to find one that doesn't keep logs, operates in a country with decent privacy laws and is still reasonably priced. I think it's a valid question and should be answered.
I'm not going to recommend any particular one but I would probably prefer one of the ones listed here:
https://fossbytes.com/best-vpn-services ... rs-review/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Not really, just wanted to make it clear though, but for example the link you posted is fine, it does not promote any 1 particular company, some good review sites would be beneficial to others as well. Like wise, if any one knows of a site that lists ones to be avoided, that might be helpful to some.
It's hard to find one that doesn't keep logs, operates in a country with decent privacy laws and is still reasonably priced.

I don't know really on that, have never really looked for one, but the OP did not give the other criteria either.
Any way the OP says they found one, so that is good. It is kind of hard to say what is affordable, if someone does not say something about what price range they consider affordable, or can afford.
A quick look at the ones listed in your link, and I see, they would not be affordable for me, even the lowest priced one. $9.00 per month, on a yearly bases, and assuming it is US dollars, it would be 2,000 pesos a year, at this time my "budget" would not be able to handle that, all though I am sure many or most people would consider it reasonable. Back when I was working, 2000 pesos was my weekly salary ,.. to me a VPN is not worth a weeks pay. It is all relative I guess.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

You're right there, affordable is relative. You'll find most of them offer yearly rates that are substantially less than 12 times monthly rate.
And free VPNs are usually worth less than what you pay for them! :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Segfault

#7 Post by Segfault »

My VPN is $2.50 a month. It happened to have some sort of promo price and now I'm grandfathered in with this price as long as I keep paying. They allow torrenting, no logging and the speeds are great. I find these $2.50 are well spent.

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

Segfault wrote:My VPN is $2.50 a month. It happened to have some sort of promo price and now I'm grandfathered in with this price as long as I keep paying. They allow torrenting, no logging and the speeds are great. I find these $2.50 are well spent.
I know one im using and its free and works great with debian, you can even choose several countries.. I think you can figure it out in some of my posts.. I think they give you 1G or 1.5GB every month for free, if you need more data, you can pay for it at similiar prize..

Im using to byspass bans in Swat4 game, from time to time they keep banning me for having vey fun times. :mrgreen: I wasted some country's IP (so much bans), but still have some for a while of playing time. "Organic Portals" doesnt know to play in fun mode..they stuck to the straight rules. :)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

pawRoot

#9 Post by pawRoot »

The only VPN i trust is AirVPN, but if it's affordable, i don't know.
bester69 wrote: I know one im using and its free and works great with debian
and they probably keep all logs

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

pawRoot wrote:The only VPN i trust is AirVPN, but if it's affordable, i don't know.
bester69 wrote: I know one im using and its free and works great with debian
and they probably keep all logs
hehe, i dont know,

You also have this one for free; seems oriented to privacy and security (i used it before knowing the one im using 8) :
https://bitmask.net/en/features

VPN features
With Bitmask VPN, all your traffic is securely routed through your provider before it is decrypted and sent on to the open internet.

Thwart Network Surveillance
Bitmask VPN is very effective at bypassing most censorship and network surveillance by your ISP or country.
Anonymize your address
Your IP address will also be hidden, keeping your physical location safe from nefarious websites or network eavesdroppers.
Extra Security
We take extra security measures to prevent problems common to other personal VPNs, such as DNS leakage and IPv6 leakage.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote:You also have this one for free; seems oriented to privacy and security (i used it before knowing the one im using 8) :
Why do you post about a free VPN when several posts here and many trustworthy sites on the internet warn NOT to use free VPNs?
They have to make money somehow so you and your data become the product.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Bulkley

#12 Post by Bulkley »

pawRoot wrote:The only VPN i trust is AirVPN, but if it's affordable, i don't know.
That's the one I use. Prices are on their homepage. It has it's own client tool (based on Openvpn) that installs nicely on Debian. They also have a tool that will open selected ports on a user's firewall when the VPN is in use and close when not. Nice.

Where I live loss of privacy is an inconvenience. In some parts of the world lack of privacy can be fatal.