Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows XP to be retired in 2008

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
michael7

Windows XP to be retired in 2008

#1 Post by michael7 »

"Windows XP will stop being available on new PCs from the end of January 2008. Microsoft is keeping to a plan to stop selling the operating system even though surveys show a lukewarm response to Windows Vista among consumers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6551429.stm

I guess that's one way to increase the sales figures of Vista.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

GMouse

#2 Post by GMouse »

And decrease the sales of Windows.

hcgtv

#3 Post by hcgtv »

The final nail in the coffin, idiotic move if I may so.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

thamarok

#4 Post by thamarok »

I also heard something about Bill's retirement plans:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002278.html

So somewhere around 2008 Billy boy should retire.. I don't know whether that is good or bad news.. :?

bluesdog

#5 Post by bluesdog »

I'm encouraged by the recent trend to launch M$ execs into space.

I suppose it's too much to hope they will be left there.....
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

rathskunk

#6 Post by rathskunk »

Windows XP is already sort of retired, from a certain point of view.

When my wife got her new computer recently she asked to have XP on it because she heard some friends of hers were having trouble with vista. Dell refused to sell her the computer with XP because the computer she wanted "only came with Vista".

I'm so happy I use debian and don't have to deal with that crap.

Fluenza

#7 Post by Fluenza »

bluesdog wrote:I'm encouraged by the recent trend to launch M$ execs into space.

I suppose it's too much to hope they will be left there.....
That's funny. :lol:
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

llivv

#8 Post by llivv »

I'dbe much happier if they could find a way to get the entire redmond campus at least past PLUTO!
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

DeanLinkous

#9 Post by DeanLinkous »

I honestly do not even think about them anymore. Could care less what they are doing or anythign else. Just another company IMO and doing *normal* company kind of stuff. They are in the big *company game* and are playing ball with DRM and wil because of that will likely continue to dominate the market and spread DRM on everything. That is the way it works. I do not want them to do differently. I want people to be able to see there is a difference and both have pros/cons and to choose based on those - not becuase they want something *just like* windows but for free. So yay for DRM.....on windows anyway.

llivv

#10 Post by llivv »

You make a good point again Dean! I also do my best to not think about Mickey Mouse, but sometimes I can't get the ole theme song outta my head and that bothers me.
See Rickh post on TPM!
It appears ( and I kinda knew this already) that WinTel is pushing hardware into a TPM or UTPM ( depending on how you see it) [TPM = Trusted Platform Module UTPM = UnTrusted Platform Module] must have must use to sell/support or products phase of production. This technology walks hand in hand with DRM except it is Hardware based encryption instead of Mickey's software based DRM. Also, I just noticed the other day that AMD is joining in with it's own brand of DRM. I didn't read up on it yet as I'm kinda busy ATM. And I do try not to think about it because it's coming and I'm not going to stop it by myself. even if I refuse to buy/recommend it. People will buy it because other people buy it!. I'm hopeful (but doubtful) that DRM, TPM computing will join the microelectronic junk heap like so many other wonderful ideas that have failled for whataever reasons. JMHO (just my humble opinion)
Last edited by llivv on 2007-04-15 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

DeanLinkous

#11 Post by DeanLinkous »

Hey if everything moves to DRM/TPM then I guess I will just stick with my old computer.... Didn't have the money for a new system anyway. Might increase the demand for older sysytems???

llivv

Read my DRM

#12 Post by llivv »

I just found the LinuxBIOS site the other day. I am glad that there is a glimmer of light in the DRM/TPM cave. My disappointment was that the IBM eSeries 200 that I borked a BIOS flash on isn't on the supported list yet, Or that there was a semi possible way of replacing the flash ROM soldered to the MSI mobo! C'est la vie! BIOS savior is a great idea as long as you can plug it in somewhere :wink: I say buy mobo's with ROM sockets as opposed to ROM's soldered onto the mobo! Take that TPM!

hrsetrdr

Re: Windows XP to be retired in 2008

#13 Post by hrsetrdr »

michael7 wrote:"Windows XP will stop being available on new PCs from the end of January 2008.
Hmmm, maybe that will make the resale value of my unused XP disks go up. ;)

swirling_vortex

#14 Post by swirling_vortex »

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/ ... ll_XP.html
Dell once again offers Windows XP
SEATTLE -- Back by popular demand: Windows XP. PC maker Dell Inc. said on its Web site Thursday it will once again let home PC buyers choose between Microsoft Corp.'s older operating system and Windows Vista when they purchase certain new machines.

Dell, like many computer makers, stopped offering XP on most home desktops and laptops soon after Vista launched at the end of January. By late March, the company said only two models aimed at home users could be configured with XP (the option still existed on many models for business users).

But on Dell's IdeaStorm Web site, where visitors can post suggestions for the company and vote on the ones they think are important, a plea titled "Don't eliminate XP just yet" racked up more than 10,700 votes.

"We heard you loud and clear on bringing the Windows XP option back to our Dell consumer PC offerings," Dell responded in a Web posting Thursday.

The company said it will immediately offer XP again an option for four models of its Inspiron notebooks and two models of its Dimension desktop PCs.

This comes just weeks after Dell said it is also planning to offer PCs with Linux, a free operating system that competes with Windows.

"This is really odd," said Michael Silver, research vice president at Gartner. "On new PCs, consumers usually do want the latest and greatest."

Microsoft countered that Dell's move was in response to a "small minority of customers" with a "specific request." Michael Burk, a product manager for Microsoft's Windows Client group, said in an e-mailed statement, "The vast majority of consumers want the latest and greatest technology, and that includes Windows Vista."

Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director of JupiterResearch, said many consumers continue to buy XP because it's familiar, it works with their existing hardware and programs, and is overall "good enough," even though Vista boasts a prettier user interface and stronger security.

"Microsoft is going to have to work hard to make sure that even if companies like Dell are offering XP, their customers don't want it," Gartenberg said. Now is time for the company to crank up Vista marketing, but that may be harder than it sounds.

"Operating systems inherently by nature are kind of boring," he said.

jezebelus

#15 Post by jezebelus »

Huh, they can stop selling it but they can't make people stop using it :roll:

chrismortimore

#16 Post by chrismortimore »

DeanLinkous wrote:They are in the big *company game* and are playing ball with DRM and wil because of that will likely continue to dominate the market and spread DRM on everything.
On a side note, I remember the day I found out that EMI are against DRM. I smiled for an hour solid :)
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB