Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I Upgraded Okular with snap!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

I Upgraded Okular with snap!

#1 Post by bester69 »

HI,
I have something in my installation that made okular doesnt work very well (sometimes doesnt open pdf's), So I found out there is a newer stable version in snap channels,.. I installed it and It feels very good new okular version.

What do you thing about replacing a desktop app by using snaps, are snap stable channels same stable certificated as the debian stable repository??
----------------------
To replace the installed app with the snap one, you just need to create a launcher script for the snap, and link it to the local binary folder.:
okular.sh

Code: Select all

snap run okular "$@" &
sudo ln -s okular.sh /usr/local/bin/
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: I Upgraded Okular with snap!

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:What do you thing about replacing a desktop app by using snaps, are snap stable channels same stable certificated as the debian stable repository?
No, snaps are almost completely unregulated, are not monitored by Cannonical and may have malware inside them.

For example: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/ubuntu-snap-malware

Most Debian packages are reproducible builds so the user knows exactly what they contain, Debian went to great efforts to ensure this and it is rather important.

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds
bester69 wrote:okular.sh

snap run okular "$@" &
Please, for the love of $DEITY, stop naming your scripts with a .sh suffix, it makes you look like a clueless Windows refugee who doesn't know what the **** they're doing — your Debian system contains hundreds of shell scripts and not one of them is called ${whatever}.sh :roll:

Also, why not just place the script in /usr/local/bin directly? Why the obsession with symlinks?
deadbang

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bester69 wrote:What do you thing about replacing a desktop app by using snaps, are snap stable channels same stable certificated as the debian stable repository?
No, snaps are almost completely unregulated, are not monitored by Cannonical and may have malware inside them.

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds
bester69 wrote:okular.sh

snap run okular "$@" &
Please, for the love of $DEITY, stop naming your scripts with a .sh suffix, it makes you look like a clueless Windows refugee who doesn't know what the **** they're doing — your Debian system contains hundreds of shell scripts and not one of them is called ${whatever}.sh :roll:

Also, why not just place the script in /usr/local/bin directly? Why the obsession with symlinks?
Ok, very interesting, I thought snap was same garantee as the rest of repository apps.

>> I use symlinks, cos I mantain/update thoses scripts from a home directoy called scripts, so I can track them and disabled/enabled them, furthermore I often do a lot of rollback btrfs snapshots ervery time i try some new software to mantain cleaned and stable my system, So, some of thoses scripts would be lost with the rollback, this way I only have to regenerate the symlink.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:I thought snap was same garantee as the rest of repository apps.
The snapd package is under the aegis of the Debian maintainers but it is a content delivery system, much like Steam, and the content that is delivered is unregulated (more or less).
deadbang