Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] (sort of) Installing USB game pads

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
qyron

[SOLVED] (sort of) Installing USB game pads

#1 Post by qyron »

Lately I've been a bit nostalgic over old school SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive games and eventually made up my mind to buy a 6 buttons game pad to use with my emulator (I'm running Mednaffe) but I was stumped to discover my system does not recognize the new hardware.

The hardware didn't came with any drivers; it's a generic plug-and-play thing. I know it is working in good conditions because I booted my machine into the Windows partition and after waiting for a while, the controller installed and responded.

Searching Google I came up with some results but essentially revolving around major consoles (PS, XBox); the kind of controllers I want to use is absent.

I should be able to probe the hardware and check what feedback the system returned about but I admit I just can't linux enough right now in order to get around this situation.

Can anyone spare some advice?
Last edited by qyron on 2019-02-20 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installing USB game pads

#2 Post by sunrat »

It helps if you mention which hardware when you ask hardware questions.
Plug it in and get the 8 numeral device ID using lsusb and search that including linux in the search term. If lsusb doesn't show it, you're in for a hard ride.
I have a Logitech wireless XBox controller which works fine with no configuration (usually :D ).
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

qyron wrote:I was stumped to discover my system does not recognize the new hardware
How exactly did you "discover" this?

I would run this command in a root terminal:

Code: Select all

dmesg -w
Then plug the device in and see what the kernel says about it.
deadbang

qyron

#4 Post by qyron »

sunrat wrote:It helps if you mention which hardware when you ask hardware questions.
Plug it in and get the 8 numeral device ID using lsusb and search that including linux in the search term. If lsusb doesn't show it, you're in for a hard ride.
I have a Logitech wireless XBox controller which works fine with no configuration (usually :D ).
lsusb returns that I have

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0461:4dbf Primax Electronics, Ltd

This is the gamepad.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

qyron

#5 Post by qyron »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
qyron wrote:I was stumped to discover my system does not recognize the new hardware

dmesg -w
The command returns a bucket load of data. Indulge my idiocy: what am I looking for?
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

qyron wrote:what am I looking for?
Any new lines that appear after plugging the device in.

Check the man page to see what the -w option for `dmesg` does, you should never run commands without knowing exactly what they do.
deadbang

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

qyron wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

dmesg -w
The command returns a bucket load of data. Indulge my idiocy: what am I looking for?
Mednafen is tricky to setup, you have a clunky interface and the name of the controller isn;t labled, and IIRC you may have to assign all the buttons manually, or there might be a config file... I never tried mednaffe front-end.

Look up 'linux+test+gamepad' or something on the net, there's probably some simple way to confirm it's working. If it passes the problem is in your mednafen setup. There's a wiki for some versions, check that out.

p.s. using an original wired xbox controller https://www.wikihow.com/Hack-an-Xbox-Co ... PC-Gamepad linux detects it automatically.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

install package jstest-gtk , if appropriate for your setup.

qyron

#9 Post by qyron »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
qyron wrote:what am I looking for?
Any new lines that appear after plugging the device in.

Check the man page to see what the -w option for `dmesg` does, you should never run commands without knowing exactly what they do.
The list is too long for me to make any sense from it. I honestly tried going through item by item but at some point I lose count.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

qyron

#10 Post by qyron »

bw123 wrote: Mednafen is tricky to setup, you have a clunky interface and the name of the controller isn;t labled, and IIRC you may have to assign all the buttons manually, or there might be a config file... I never tried mednaffe front-end.

Look up 'linux+test+gamepad' or something on the net, there's probably some simple way to confirm it's working. If it passes the problem is in your mednafen setup. There's a wiki for some versions, check that out.

p.s. using an original wired xbox controller https://www.wikihow.com/Hack-an-Xbox-Co ... PC-Gamepad linux detects it automatically.
I read an article somewhere stating that Mednaffe would somehow wrap/manage automagically the input devices (gamepads, etc), that was why I went for it. Sincerely speaking, I don't even know how many emulators exist in the repos.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

qyron

#11 Post by qyron »

CwF wrote:install package jstest-gtk , if appropriate for your setup.
I'll try this. Thank you.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

qyron wrote:The list is too long for me to make any sense from it. I honestly tried going through item by item but at some point I lose count.
Do you not understand what I mean by "new lines"? :?

I will try again: unplug the device, run `dmesg -w` then completely ignore the text that appears, then plug the device in again and only read any new text that appears, it will only be a few lines long.

You really shoul read the man page section about the -w option, I could be telling you to destroy your machine for all you know :roll:
deadbang

qyron

#13 Post by qyron »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Do you not understand what I mean by "new lines"? :?
My English skills are still enough to understand straightforward instructions.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I will try again: unplug the device, run `dmesg -w` then completely ignore the text that appears, then plug the device in again and only read any new text that appears, it will only be a few lines long.
I've done that and the machine does not return anything new. That was why I tried going line by line: because I wasn't seeing anything new turn up and, as a rule of thumb, I assume I'm doing something wrong. I am more than happy to admit I am not a tech wizard; I'm a curious mind at best that likes to have an extra degree of understanding and control over it's machine.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You really shoul read the man page section about the -w option, I could be telling you to destroy your machine for all you know :roll:
Now you're flattering yourself. In all the years I've frequented this place one thing I picked up (if not the only) is that trolling is very ill-received. Plus, I'm paranoid; I check if a command can be potentially hazardous before running it, especially from root access point.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

qyron wrote:I've done that and the machine does not return anything new
Then the device is not recognised by the kernel and hence not supported by it.
deadbang

qyron

#15 Post by qyron »

Apparently I was too hasty and there is a number of factors adding to complicate this matter, from end-of-life USB ports (I was using the computer case doors, not the motherboard ports), a faulty controller (it appears to turn on and off at random) and a poor quality connection cable (the cable shielding just snapped at a touch) and poor software interface (using jstest-gtk the gamepad is read as a 6-button device and mednaffe only reads 3 buttons) actually using the gamepad seems to be somewhat of a challenge on my system.

I think I'll order a new one and try it again. Hopefully, I'll be luckier...
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
I was going to say the same thing, but HOAS beat me to it, but any way, confirm , if there are no new lines, it is because it is not seeing the device, there could be various reasons,including device failure.

qyron

#17 Post by qyron »

GarryRicketson wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
I was going to say the same thing, but HOAS beat me to it, but any way, confirm , if there are no new lines, it is because it is not seeing the device, there could be various reasons,including device failure.
Which was happening. The gamepad seems to be subpar.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2