Purge command

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Purge command

Postby debiandonder » 2019-02-27 12:11

dilberts_left_nut wrote:.... and moved to Offtopic.

@debiandonder - Q4OS is not Debian - please stop conflating them.

Q40S is based on Debian 9 Stable.

My desktop looks like debian 9 KDE version. All the coomands I use in the terminal is Debian commands. sudo apt understand?
debiandonder

Postby debiandonder » 2019-02-27 12:19

Dai_trying wrote:
debiandonder wrote:There is a Q40S software center and there is another one with the subheading discover. I was referring to the first one. Taking Firefox 65 as an example, I did not find a uninstall option anywhere, except in Synaptic which was installed using the Q40S installer.

Discover is a Plasma thing not Q4OS, but that aside using the Q4OS Software Centre for installing Firefox will result in having a menu entry to uninstall Firefox, if you can't find it you could have asked in the forum but instead you choose to moan about it here...

debiandonder wrote:Q40S forum is a graveyard compared to Debian support forum. I either get no response or some vague answers.

Debian obviously has a higher user base so that much would be obvious, but you have received answers to your questions even though you have posted no questions other than how to rip music from Cd's with id3 tags completed. You have stated on this forum that your system freezes and other technical problems but have never mentioned this on the Q4OS forum?!?!

debiandonder wrote:It is a great way to install Debian however and as long as one chooses the full program install instead of the basic install and then pick and choose it works great, with minimal setup.

It is not a replacement for a "proper" Debian installation, to get the best support you should just install Debian and then your questions would be more relevant. Many here will tell you if you are using outside (of Debian) repositories you actually have a FrankenDebian and as Q4OS uses it's own repositories (as well as the Debian ones) you should consider this.

I was explaining not moaning.

Don't repsond to peoples posts if you don't bother reading them properly. I wrote that my Ubuntu system froze completely while using Firefox and that Debian has had no such incidence thus far.

I resolved some problems like clashing profiles while trying different Firefox versions. Some guy told me to just delete the Firefox folder in ~/.mozilla. Short sweet answer that fixed the problem.

When I switch on my pc, I get the Q40S message and emidiately after that "welcome to debian 9".
debiandonder

Postby 4D696B65 » 2019-02-27 12:23

debiandonder wrote:Q40S is based on Debian 9 Stable.

My desktop looks like debian 9 KDE version. All the coomands I use in the terminal is Debian commands. sudo apt understand?

Based on does not equal same. Understand?
4D696B65

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2019-02-27 12:24

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=542283#p542283
understand?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Postby debiandonder » 2019-02-27 12:36

4D696B65 wrote:

Based on does not equal same. Understand?

Yes that true, I have used Ubuntu since 2014 and now I use a Debian 9 based distro and I have noticed some improvements, like the internet connection better than before. Maybe it's using a newer Linux kernel or something.

Al the commands I have used in the terminal are Debian commands. I am looking at a Debian reference card abut Debian 10 and I know most of the commands.

The synaptic package manager I am using is full of debian packages. When I tried out Opera browser, I had to install gdebi first, in order to install Opera.

It's all Debian.

I know Debian, otherwise I would hae just installed Antergos,but I can't "talk to arch" because I don't know the language.
debiandonder

Postby Dai_trying » 2019-02-27 15:29

debiandonder wrote:Don't repsond to peoples posts if you don't bother reading them properly. I wrote that my Ubuntu system froze completely while using Firefox and that Debian has had no such incidence thus far.

from this post
debiandonder wrote:I have Q40S based on Debian 9 and sometimes the KDE menu lock up
Dai_trying

Postby debiandonder » 2019-02-27 15:49

O, please! One component acting up is not the same as the whole operating system freezing to the point you can't use the mouse or keyboard.

Okay all hairsplitting aside, I now know the difference between the purge and remove command.

End of story and they lived happily ever after with Debian.
debiandonder

Postby CwF » 2019-02-27 15:59

debiandonder wrote:The synaptic package manager I am using is full of debian packages. When I tried out Opera browser, I had to install gdebi first, in order to install Opera.

You could use synaptic to install Opera. You could also create a local non-repository source for use in synaptic. Gdebi is a good little helper for synaptic. There's a lot of ways to skin the cat and I do it all with a click. Clicks are way faster than typing! Seriously, explore the menus. All the logs are there, managing cache is there, all the terminal warnings, errors, list changes, and all the info on packages, dependants, orphans, etc. It's all there and clickable. The command line has no advantage.
CwF

Postby debiandonder » 2019-02-27 17:49

That's all mostly true. However when I uninstalled Firefox with synaptic and installed Firefox ESR the profiles clashed and I had to manually remove a file in the mozilla folder in hidden files and reinstall Firefox before it worked properly.

I love gdebi because it installs programs fast, like Chrome or Opera by opening the program from Firefox and installing the program. I had to look around and scroll down the menu in Synaptic to find Opera and uninstall it.

Installing chromium from the terminal involves openning the ternimal and typing a simple command. In Synaptic to open synaptic, search for the program and mark for installation and so on. It takes longer.
debiandonder

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-28 07:38

i love debiandonder's posts
they r the best
m a fan
keep em coming
more power to u
sickpig

Postby debiandonder » 2019-02-28 11:24

Thank you so much piggy!

Oh yeah, donder means thunder or laud rumbling, that me.

Keep on thundering!
debiandonder

Previous

Return to Offtopic