package maintainers

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

package maintainers

Postby milomak » 2019-03-08 23:42

one of the maintainers was terribly great in helping me

i think there were some aggressive emails i sent in my frustration (even if slightly or passive)

i admitted (or as close by saying it was 99% my fault - and i like to think it was received as such) my fault to the maintainer (or i like to think)

the maintainer asked if i could have done something (pointing me to a link) possibly 1 or 2 years ago on my sid system. i had. and it was the issue.

given i run sid and the maintainer had the mind to ask me that question, debian is in good hands
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Sid, Win10, Solus
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid
milomak

Re: package maintainers

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-03-09 01:14

Yes, indeed and this is a refreshing post, I am glad you told us about this and thank you.
Occasionally here, I have suggested to people to try contacting the package maintainer or maintainers, quite often they are so much more familiar with "idiosyncrasies " of specific packages.
Many are willing to try to help solve problems, and sometimes are aware of exactly what is the likely cause. Of course it is best to make that the last resort, if and when nothing comes up in searches, and no one here seems to really know what the problem may be.
When you go to the page for a Debian package, on the far right side there is a list , I am using the leafpad package as my example, https://packages.debian.org/sid/leafpad
Debian Resources:

Bug Reports
Developer Information
Debian Changelog
Copyright File
Debian Patch Tracker

Download Source Package leafpad:

[leafpad_0.8.18.1-5.dsc]
[leafpad_0.8.18.1.orig.tar.gz]
[leafpad_0.8.18.1-5.debian.tar.xz]

Maintainer:

Paulo Roberto Alves de Oliveira (aka kretcheu) (QA Page)

External Resources:

Homepage [tarot.freeshell.org]

Similar packages:

The list includes links and e-mails, including for the maintainers. It is best to look through the bur reports at the top first, sometimes there all ready are reports of the same problem.
Any way, glad it worked out for you and you were able to get a solution to the problem.
GarryRicketson

Postby milomak » 2019-03-09 09:00

i would add that yes when you go to a maintainer be extra sure you have done your homework.

show your steps in the email because i think that is when they are willing to help because then they can try recreate your problem.

it's no use just sending an email saying YOUR PACKAGE IS BROKEN
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Sid, Win10, Solus
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid
milomak

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-03-09 14:39

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
is a good place to ask specific questions, too.
Wheelerof4te

Return to Offtopic