Ubuntu Upgraders: "Feisty Flake"

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Ubuntu Upgraders: "Feisty Flake"

Postby soldierboy » 2007-04-20 02:12

I've been answering support questions over at the UB forums for the last hour and a half or so, and have seen this new moniker for Feisty Fawn referenced more than once. I'm not trying to troll, just to let everyone know. I've been trying to help new users over there all that I can, but this release seems to be quite premature to me. The dist-upgrades are going horribly wrong, so folks are going for clean installs and those are failing as well. What say you? I'm interested in a serious conversation relating to this, so please if all you're going to do is bark at me, your time would be better spent helping out the Linux community at-large by heading over to UB forums yourself.
soldierboy

Postby rickh » 2007-04-20 02:20

your time would be better spent helping out the Linux community at-large by heading over to UB forums yourself.
God forbid! IMO, the best thing about Ubuntu is that it keeps the real newbies away from Debian.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97
rickh

Postby sinical » 2007-04-20 02:33

"Ubuntu users" != "Linux community at-large"

If they are having problems upgrading / installing point them to these install disks. We might be able to help them then :wink:
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn
sinical

Postby Pobega » 2007-04-20 02:36

Well I for one will go help the little nubbies with their Feisty troubles, any Linux is better than no Linux, whether it's Ubuntu, Debian, or Gentoo.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh
Pobega

Postby soldierboy » 2007-04-20 02:40

sinical wrote:"Ubuntu users" != "Linux community at-large"

If they are having problems upgrading / installing point them to these install disks. We might be able to help them then :wink:

Trust me, I've been doing this for some of them. Mostly for the guys that are angry over the "flakiness"/stability. They just want something that is solid, so I've been pointing them here.
soldierboy

Re: Ubuntu Upgraders: "Feisty Flake"

Postby hcgtv » 2007-04-20 02:40

soldierboy wrote:The dist-upgrades are going horribly wrong, so folks are going for clean installs and those are failing as well.

This is not a Debian based system then, this is rather sad to hear.

My current server, which has been running for the last 3 years, booted for the first time in Sarge, I upgraded it to Sid and now it's running Etch. That's Debian, no need to wipe and clean, the Ever-Ready Bunny of distros.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby Dargor » 2007-04-20 02:42

sinical wrote:If they are having problems upgrading / installing point them to these install disks. We might be able to help them then :wink:

good one, why help the noobs use a unstable system when the could use Debian, if its really that bad the noobs will run back to there windows with the bad memory's of Linux.
Dargor

Postby sinical » 2007-04-20 02:45

I was pointing them to debian install disks ... :oops:
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn
sinical

Postby ghostdawg » 2007-04-20 03:12

Pretty strange. A couple of weeks ago I installed Fiesty last beta and it went very smooth. It seems like it was a very polished version. But it's not installed now.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb
ghostdawg

Postby rduke » 2007-04-20 05:08

That's one reason I gave up on Ubuntu. Got tired of having to do a clean install every 6 months.
rduke

Postby Pobega » 2007-04-20 11:54

Nevermind.
Pobega

Postby bernie_d » 2007-04-20 12:31

Ubuntu is my main linux, and my updater applet thingy (is it apt-updater?) told me this morning that it had a new release for me (Fiesty). I clicked 'yes please', then it fell over. I haven't tried to sort it out, generally I wait a few weeks before installing a new release, and Edgy is the first one (AFAIK) that has offered to do the distribution upgrade for you. So I was flattered that I'd been asked and thought I'd give it a shot.

And I think this kind of summarises ubuntu in general - concentrating on things looking pretty and recruiting newcomers has led to windows-style problems (in my opinion) with windows-style solutions. And I don't think the proprietary drivers help much either. I've often found it difficult to find how things actually work in Ubuntu, and the forums seem to stress howto recipes for fixing problems, rather than promoting understanding. So I often end up on Debian or gentoo forums when looking for enlightenment.

(I started with Debian, and was then seduced away by the bright lights of Ubuntu. I'm now back to using Debian, in a small way, on an arm-based Linksys NSLU2, but still hang on to my Edgy PC system, because it all works very well - now - and I can't be bothered to change)
bernie_d

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-04-20 14:32

bernie_d wrote:And I think this kind of summarises ubuntu in general - concentrating on things looking pretty and recruiting newcomers has led to windows-style problems (in my opinion) with windows-style solutions. And I don't think the proprietary drivers help much either. I've often found it difficult to find how things actually work in Ubuntu, and the forums seem to stress howto recipes for fixing problems, rather than promoting understanding. So I often end up on Debian or gentoo forums when looking for enlightenment.

Bravo.....nicely stated. If you aren't learning/understanding linux then you are missing out on one of the things that makes GNU+Linux great IMO. Things looking pretty is exactly the windows trap. IMO functional, tested, revised, redone, complete comes first - then pretty.

Then again - the newbs ubuntu seem to be getting are the 'LOOK how cool this is' and that crowd wants looks not a command line of functionality. I am sure the argument is to get them hooked on cool first then work up to the functionality.
DeanLinkous

Postby esaym » 2007-04-20 14:43

rduke wrote:That's one reason I gave up on Ubuntu. Got tired of having to do a clean install every 6 months.

yea same hear
esaym

Postby Pobega » 2007-04-20 23:09

Keep in mind not all people like the terminal; I'm trying to get a friend to use GNU/Linux (Debian preferably), but she is afraid of using the terminal.

Of course she'll never have to because I live six blocks away from her, but for people who don't have that it becomes a burden; And Ubuntu solves that problem.

Although I personally dislike Ubuntu, I would never go so far as to say I hate it. Ubuntu is still GNU/Linux, and it offers some choice; Gusty Gibbon (7.10) will have two versions, one with proprietary drivers and one without.

But as long as the end user isn't using Mac/Windows I'm completely fine with Ubuntu. And the good thing about Ubuntu is that I can troubleshoot their problems since almost everything is done the Debian way on Ubuntu.
Pobega

Next

Return to Offtopic