Ubuntu Upgraders: "Feisty Flake"

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Postby jml » 2007-04-23 15:59

Thanks again, Pobega. I had forgotten about the Debian Live CD project. I'll download it tonight when I get home and try it. The only thing I use the SD slot for is to download images stored on multiple SD cards. When I only have one card to download, I just connect my camera to my Darter and download directly. Its just more convienent to work with multiple cards without having to deal with the camera. I'll give that a try as well after I download the cd. By the way, as an avid StarWars fan from back when the first movie was new, I really like your Avatar. :D

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.
jml

Postby Pobega » 2007-04-23 16:03

jml wrote:Thanks again, Pobega. I had forgotten about the Debian Live CD project. I'll download it tonight when I get home and try it. The only thing I use the SD slot for is to download images stored on multiple SD cards. When I only have one card to download, I just connect my camera to my Darter and download directly. Its just more convienent to work with multiple cards without having to deal with the camera. I'll give that a try as well after I download the cd. By the way, as an avid StarWars fan from back when the first movie was new, I really like your Avatar. :D

Joe

Aw man, I wish I was around for that, but being 17 means I missed out on a lot of nostalgia; DOS, Unix, the internet, 70's music, and Star Wars! I've always been a fan since I was young, but to be perfectly honest I hated the new three; I thought they were garbage compared to the originals.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh
Pobega

Postby GMouse » 2007-04-23 16:37

If you can find an old IBM PC somewhere, then you, too, can enjoy the pleasures of DOS.

I mean that only half-sarcastically. It was rather nice, in its own way, to run a desktop computer from the command line only. There were graphical programs, but they didn't use a mouse (didn't have one to begin with) and they were all in monochrome (green). I still remember playing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" and how the coffee dispenser in the game's office would always drop a cup and pour coffee into or on it in a variety of funny ways.

Oh! And there were once these joke programs that I had. Some of the best emulated the shell, even going so far as to be able to navigate the directories and execute programs as normal, but they had something definitely off. For instance, one version spent the whole time leveling insults at the user, it was called UUDOS, and another kept trying to hit on the user. I really miss those programs, and wish that I could find something similar for Linux, now that I'm reunited with the CLI.

[/nostalgia]
GMouse

Postby ghostdawg » 2007-04-23 17:37

Well, maybe some do have a point with Fiesty Fawn. I just installed the final release and now my WD external hard drive is not being picked up.

It gets to the point where it scans USB stuff but stops at the external drive.

I can't figure out why not, since the last beta release worked fine without a hitch.

O well!
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb
ghostdawg

Postby Lavene » 2007-04-23 18:16

GMouse wrote:Oh! And there were once these joke programs that I had. Some of the best emulated the shell, even going so far as to be able to navigate the directories and execute programs as normal, but they had something definitely off. For instance, one version spent the whole time leveling insults at the user, it was called UUDOS, and another kept trying to hit on the user. I really miss those programs, and wish that I could find something similar for Linux, now that I'm reunited with the CLI.
[/nostalgia]

He he. I used to write several such joke programs in PASCAL and put them in my coworkers autoexec.bat. Most of them was rather clueless when it came to computers and it sometimes really freaked them out. Like simulating a 'format c:', refuse to finish booting until the user said something nice to it, demanding a raise etc etc.

It was amazing how far I could push it some times and how gullible some people was regarding anything having to do with computers.

And of course, the stupidest was my boss. I had made a small program that, as it finished booting, printed "Your mood today is:" and some random mood. And one day he claimed ecstatically that the computer always got it right!! :lol:

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby jml » 2007-04-23 20:07

Any "old" apple II users out there. Do you remember a program called LISA? It purported to be a computer pycho-analyst and was a hoot. It actually had a relatively simple "AI" algorythm that only took a few minutes of playing with it to figure out, but the most fun was introducing my friends and family to LISA and watch the amazed looks on their faces at the intelegence of my computer. I better stop now befor I dust off an old Lava Lamp.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.
jml

Postby esaym » 2007-04-23 20:50

rennen01 wrote:I use Ubuntu 6.10. I am going to wait for all the bugs to get worked out before I upgrade.

As far as the guys saying they got tired of upgrading every 6 months, I have a simple solution: Don't upgrade every 6 months :D

Yes, but the releases are full of bugs that never get fixed. So you have to upgrade to the latest version just for bug fixes :?

Thats ok though, it lead me to debian-testing :P
esaym

Re: Ubuntu Upgraders: "Feisty Flake"

Postby regeya » 2007-04-26 20:03

soldierboy wrote: I'm not trying to troll, just to let everyone know. I've been trying to help new users over there all that I can, but this release seems to be quite premature to me. The dist-upgrades are going horribly wrong, so folks are going for clean installs and those are failing as well. What say you?

I tried to dist-upgrade to Feisty, and it went badly. I tried a fresh install of Feisty, and that went a lot worse.

To be fair, they caution people to not dist-upgrade and use their GUI upgrader instead, and problems were caused by a.) my root being on LVM2 and b.) the Feisty installer incorrectly identifying my UltraATA controller as a SCSI controller.

However, the Etch installer had no such problems. So I'm going Kubuntu -> Etch. :wink:

I love Kubuntu, but yeah, they seem to be going through growing pains. I'm thinking that a predictable release cycle combined with big changes every time just don't work.
But let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.
regeya

Postby swirling_vortex » 2007-04-27 22:14

Feisty installed & ran fine for me, but I didn't like the modified installer. It also seems that every Ubuntu release runs a little bit slower. There's a noticeable difference between the boot times of Feisty & Etch. (Where was the even faster startup time Ubuntu Feisty promised us?)

That's why I put MEPIS 64 in place of Ubuntu (alongside with Etch of course). The 6.06 packages are really stable now, along with MEPIS's own updated stuff.

In my opinion, Ubuntu should do the standard 6 months of making the distro & another month or two of just serious bug testing & refining, which would also benefit Debian as well.
swirling_vortex

Postby PurplePenguin » 2007-04-27 23:00

It's my first post at the Debian forums... I made the switch from Ubuntu to Debian the day after Feisty came out. I had tried Etch on a spare partition the day it was released and really liked it, so after hitting a couple problems with getting Feisty up and running, I cut and ran to Etch. :)

It's great! My home directory is on a separate partition, so the change has been slight (cosmetically, anyway). Although I like to play with new distros, they'll be staying on my spare partitions... I'm here for the stability.
PurplePenguin

Postby soldierboy » 2007-04-28 02:25

You see? The Debian community benefits from Ubuntu (in more ways than just modified packages). :D
soldierboy

Previous

Return to Offtopic