Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux is very sensible (better dont touch it!)

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sickpig

Re: Linux is very sensible (better dont touch it!)

#16 Post by sickpig »

+1 for checkinstall thats what i use when debmake + debuild does not work for me.
it does not keep track of dependencies though but that is easily solvable my maintaining a separate text file listing the packages on which that application is dependant on.

Innovate

#17 Post by Innovate »

This is why I followed Steve's advice to get latest stable package I wanted on Debian Stable.
I don't have to go testing, sid like others at all.

bester69

#18 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote:You know, if you're allergic to snap/flatpak/whatever as I am you can always compile just about anything you want. checkinstall is a quick and dirty way to create and install a .deb package.

https://wiki.debian.org/CheckInstall
cool. :)

Also interestaing Apps for deb packages , are .:
dpkg-repack
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/dpkg-repack
and
debsums
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/debsums
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

sickpig wrote:+1 for checkinstall thats what i use when debmake + debuild does not work for me.
it does not keep track of dependencies though but that is easily solvable my maintaining a separate text file listing the packages on which that application is dependant on.
Debmake and then debuild aren't automatic at all. You have to put work into it, especially with listing build-depends and configuring the build--and the copyright files debmake generates are usually nightmares. But if someone's already done that work for you, then it can be much easier than checkinstall.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

bester69 wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Bester, what about the packages you have installed from my third-party repos? They're reasonably safe if built in the correct way.
All of what I installed from your repos, worked great..I only trust in you repos..and debian's.

Thanks Steve. :o
Yeah...Debian went from virtualbox 5.2.24 to the problematic 6.X series upstream, and is ignoring updates to the 5.2.X series, but I managed to refresh some patches, hashsums, and create dfsg source tarballs to correctly package 5.2.28 for MX Linux (so far), which builds on 5.0 kernels and doesn't ignore the system theme like 6.X backports. Seems to work fine for testers so far.

Innovate

#21 Post by Innovate »

Every tools has it's own purpose. Checkinstall I recommend for starter who want to have a taste deb package first time for single binary build.
But always notice you can't build multiple .debs with checkinstall & checkinstall force you install binary against your will like make install.
Libreoffice, gtk3.0, qt5.10+ is the example you can't build single deb it won't work it'll cripple whole applications.
If you start to become proper package maintainer or want to have repo like Steve did. You need debbuild, debmake or dpkg-buildpackage.
After build it'll lay egg .debian.tar.xz, .orig.tar.xz .dsc that can use for autobuild debian packages on obs repo.
This tool kinda handy suitable for steal abilities for other debian based distro & reverse binary build.
Like ChaletOS layout changer for example. I did it once the result went hilariously worked.
There're some distro that have their own utility but didn't release source on github, gitlab which pissed me off.
But thx to this now I know how to absorb ability from other distros as I wanted.

GarryRicketson

#22 Post by GarryRicketson »

Linux is very sensible, if the system admin is sensible.

sickpig

#23 Post by sickpig »

stevepusser wrote:Debmake and then debuild aren't automatic at all. You have to put work into it, especially with listing build-depends and configuring the build--and the copyright files debmake generates are usually nightmares. But if someone's already done that work for you, then it can be much easier than checkinstall.
couldn't agree more and from my experience you cant set the right dh auto install override corrections without having prior programming language knowledge, in the rules file. forget the control and the copyright files they are nothing compared to the rules file.

its hit and miss if u have no clue about C or the language used for the application.

but for an admin who is not a developer or a packager, checkinstall ticks the box.

of course if u can package it correctly then yes that should be the first option.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by wizard10000 »

Innovate wrote:... checkinstall force you install binary against your will like make install.

Code: Select all

checkinstall --install=no 
:mrgreen:
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Innovate

#25 Post by Innovate »

wizard10000 wrote:
Innovate wrote:... checkinstall force you install binary against your will like make install.

Code: Select all

checkinstall --install=no 
:mrgreen:
It's not enough, you've yet to solve how to build multiple deb binaries that i mention from LibreOffice in this page:
https://packages.debian.org/source/stre ... ibreoffice
& leave .debian.tar.xz, .orig.tar.xz, .dsc after built
Without these 3 it won't be possible to upload to obs repo to auto build the package. I'm not playing around.
Sometimes checkinstall doesn't work on every sources. When you fetch too old dependencies it stop building.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by wizard10000 »

Innovate wrote:It's not enough..
Maybe not for you, but for someone like me who only needs a simple package once in awhile it works just fine. The only reason I use checkinstall is that I can easily uninstall the package if I want.
-- anais nin

Innovate

#27 Post by Innovate »

wizard10000 wrote:
Innovate wrote:It's not enough..
Maybe not for you, but for someone like me who only needs a simple package once in awhile it works just fine. The only reason I use checkinstall is that I can easily uninstall the package if I want.
Allow me to make this clear then & no more hard feeling, can we?

I do not offend your method. I said this method doesn't work on me anymore I've to change the strategy.
It's like you're fine with knive. But I need bow & arrow for long range atk. Even they can atk melee but the range are vast different.
In other words our perspective requirement are different lv. Otherwise I won't said checkinstall I'd recommend only for single deb binary build.
But if you start to go serious path growing packages in your repo like me, stevenpusser, package maintainer did. You'll need other command for building multiple binary. Right now you may just only build single binary package for self use. But who knows? you might evolve to packaging volunteer.

I used to be user like you want to learn about basic make deb package & loathe make install proccess a lot.
checkinstall was my first try since 2015. But later 2016+ I already to walk the same path as Steve did.
Growing 500+ of latest stable packages in my repo which even enough to boost debian stable or making debian based distro.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by wizard10000 »

No hard feelings here :D
-- anais nin

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

Usually multiple packages from one source are handled by the control file plus multiple .install files, like foo.install, libfoo.install, libfoo-dev.install, libfoo-doc.install, etc., where you list what files go in which package and where they are installed. But doing that from scratch can be a rather involved and tedious process, which is why backporting, or using a previous version as a template, is much easier.

Someone asked for Qosmic 1.6.0 on MX today, and the latest Debian-style package I could find is 1.5.0 from the dead getdeb PPA. So I used that as a template, but also had to account for its switch from lua-5.1 to 5.2, from Qt 4 to 5, and for a newer flam3 from upstream Debian. Then it still couldn't find the lua headers until I applied a patch solution I tracked down in the Qosmic github issues section. But now it's packaged and running, and should be in the MX repos. That's a fairly typical amount of work I have to do if I can't get the sources from upstream Debian. I also backported Mixxx 2.2.1 from Experimental for another request, but had previously backported 2.2.0 for MX, so already knew what build-depends had changed names upstream (python-scour to scour, for example), so was able to add the older Stretch and Jessie versions of those as alternatives.

sickpig

#30 Post by sickpig »

perseverance!! thats y only u could do it and not us peasants :D

Innovate

#31 Post by Innovate »

stevepusser wrote:Usually multiple packages from one source are handled by the control file plus multiple .install files, like foo.install, libfoo.install, libfoo-dev.install, libfoo-doc.install, etc., where you list what files go in which package and where they are installed. But doing that from scratch can be a rather involved and tedious process, which is why backporting, or using a previous version as a template, is much easier.
Exactly, That's what I tried to explain to them but they're too ignorant to understand or perhaps they're just hating my guts & double standard picky on messenger that they like. Like only respect your deliver but hostile to mine even we deliver the same message warning.
Even if I'm your blacksmith package apprentice they're still looking down on me because I'm "nobody".
I guess there's only you who can witness what I'm doing. At least many packages I made can fill your Debian & MX packaging database.
That why I didn't report new packages lately because you can peak at my repo & check at "changed".

checkinstall disappearance from buster channel & nobody mention it. Perhaps I should leave it missing without telling anyone...
instead of reviving it on obs repo... maybe it might coming back like synaptic or maybe not...

stevepusser

#32 Post by stevepusser »

Innovate wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Usually multiple packages from one source are handled by the control file plus multiple .install files, like foo.install, libfoo.install, libfoo-dev.install, libfoo-doc.install, etc., where you list what files go in which package and where they are installed. But doing that from scratch can be a rather involved and tedious process, which is why backporting, or using a previous version as a template, is much easier.
Exactly, That's what I tried to explain to them but they're too ignorant to understand or perhaps they're just hating my guts & double standard picky on messenger that they like. Like only respect your deliver but hostile to mine even we deliver the same message warning.
Even if I'm your blacksmith package apprentice they're still looking down on me because I'm "nobody".
I guess there's only you who can witness what I'm doing. At least many packages I made can fill your Debian & MX packaging database.
That why I didn't report new packages lately because you can peak at my repo & check at "changed".

checkinstall disappearance from buster channel & nobody mention it. Perhaps I should leave it missing without telling anyone...
instead of reviving it on obs repo... maybe it might coming back like synaptic or maybe not...
Could you provide a link to your OBS repo?