Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

walking dead, It's here with intel! (zombieload)

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

walking dead, It's here with intel! (zombieload)

#1 Post by bester69 »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-vs-zombieload/
:mrgreen:
Zombieload, the exploit, has three unique attack paths that could allow an attacker to execute a side-channel attack to bypass protections to read memory. The four Common Vulnerability and Exposures (CVEs) for this issue are:

CVE-2018-12126 is a flaw that could lead to information disclosure from the processor store buffer.
CVE-2018-12127 is an exploit of the microprocessor load operations that can provide data to an attacker about CPU registers and operations in the CPU pipeline.
CVE-2018-12130 is the most serious of the three issues, involved the implementation of the microprocessor fill buffers, and can expose data within that buffer.
CVE-2019-11091 is a flaw in the implementation of the "fill buffer," a mechanism used by modern CPUs when a cache-miss is made on L1 CPU cache.

heheh I wont upgrade kernel anymore!!, With all of theses fixes, I think Intel CPU must be losing around 15% of performance by now.. disaster!! :?

spectre-meltdown-checker
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Wheelerof4te

Re: walking dead, It's here with intel! (zombieload)

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Right? The latter seasons are lame anyway. Why bother with it?

Code: Select all

cat  /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Mitigation: PTE Inversion
Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
Mitigation: PTI
Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling

uname -a
Linux debian 4.19.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.37-3 (2019-05-15) x86_64 GNU/Linux
New kernel upgrade landed in Buster :mrgreen:

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

empty@ryzen:/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities $ grep -R .
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, IBPB: conditional, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling
mds:Not affected
l1tf:Not affected
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
meltdown:Not affected
empty@ryzen:/sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities $
:)

@OP: https://make-linux-fast-again.com/
deadbang

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

The Stretch and Buster kernels already have the mitigations, as well as intel-microcode in each.

The spectre-meltdown-checker 0.41 in Sid will look for the new problems, but needs a patch to stop giving false positives for AMD CPU's, though. I haven't seen any noticable slowdowns with the new kernels and microcode.
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Thanks HOAS for posting a link to all those kernel parameters in one place. Have tried adding some of them to /etc/default/grub still feel like I'm missing something as regards them, proper use, shrugs. Actually went to the extent of compiling some of them out of the kernel I'm using. Even if someone disables whichever mitigations they want, still has to somewhat bloat up the kernel. Hundreds of thousands of lines of code constantly being added. Not that, that's all side channel related or even really must add much extra memory overhead or boot time. Guess I'm overly anal about it. Want my kernel lean n mean as possible.

Mentioned elsewhere for desktop nixers I don't really think all this Intel madness is all that serious. Just one more tech hazard. Same time does warrant some concern and likely in future will opt for AMD, unless can get a great deal on whatever Intel.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *