Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel panic - not syncing - Attempted to kill init

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
oakenHoon

Kernel panic - not syncing - Attempted to kill init

#1 Post by oakenHoon »

I realize that this may have been posted before, but I'm feeling really beyond my skill level here and think I need to be talked through this one step by step. (read: Im scared to friggin touch anything!!)
Anyways, I'm on a different box now so I dont currently have a screen shot but I can type out a more detailed report of what im seeing upon request...
The friggered box is a macbook pro 2013. Ive been running Kali on there for about a year. Recently did a memopry upgrade (8-16) and didnt notice any problems in the following weeks... If I remember correctly I had been moving and deleting some stuff around (command line... NO i dont remember exactly what) and I suppose i could have deleted something critical...
anywho, the jist of the messages i get after booting, decrypting sda3, is that none of the init stuff or sbin stuff is there/accessable.
I truly love my beat up old box and anyolne with the knowledge, patience, and inclination to help me out with this will surely greeted with much ale upon their arrival in Valhalla!eg
(Also, Ill say thank you alot n stuff)
Regards,
-Oaken "Colonel Panic" (hehe..i likes it) Hoon

GarryRicketson

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing - Attempted to kill init

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

That is all fine and good, but what does this have to do with Debian ?

oakenHoon

#3 Post by oakenHoon »

from the kali documentation:

The Kali Linux distribution is based on Debian Testing. Therefore, most of the Kali packages are imported, as-is, from the Debian repositories. In some cases, newer packages may be imported from Debian Unstable or Debian Experimental, either to improve user experience, or to incorporate needed bug fixes.

once you get past the tools and what have you, It's all debian all the way...
-O

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

Once you mix "Testing" and then "UnStable" and then "Experimental" you end up with a FrankenDebian please search the forum if you would like to know more of what a frankendebian is, there are plenty of posts!

Have you asked in the Kali forum?

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Kali is not Debian. Kali has their own forums.
And finally, Kali is not intended to be a general purpose distro.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by 4D696B65 »

Kali uses a kernel patched for specific purposes, not the stock Debian one. Kali forum is the best place to ask about kernel panic running their kernel.