Playonlinux is a mess (flatpak?)

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Playonlinux is a mess (flatpak?)

Postby bester69 » 2019-06-22 02:24

Hi,

Yesterday I was about to install playonlinux on buster, when I realised it needs to add i386 architecture, and install around 90 additional i386 packages .. so this might generate a mess in the installation with dependecy packages eventually.. It would be great if was able to have a snap or flatpak container for this app

Now Im considering of using debootstrap to install Playonlinux and not messing the base installation.. what do you thing?,. :?

would be great something like winepack for playonlinux, Playonflatpak!! :)
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Re: Playonlinux is a mess (flatpak?)

Postby vbrummond » 2019-06-22 02:53

I honestly feel like a lot of third party apps need to be distributed this way. Disk space is cheap.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby Funkygoby » 2019-06-22 06:46

I never had a problem installing 32-bits libs on a 64-bits Debian, or I should say, letting the package manager do it. The multiarch support never failed me (or anyone I am aware of).
If I were in your shoes, I would just let apt do his thing.

I can see a use for container and such when you don't have the choice and have to do actual weird stuff and make one package that should run everywhere.
This is not the case here. If you are installing a package from the official repository, you are covered. This is battle-tested.
I have seen Debian break while I was using it "wrong" (using testing back in the day, dist-upgrade without enough disk space, messing up the apt preferences) but I have never witnessed this "dependency hell" everyone is frightened about. Is this a thing in Arch? Fedora?

You are doing it right. Keep installing, there is nothing to worry about.
Funkygoby

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-06-22 15:53

bester69 wrote:Yesterday I was about to install playonlinux on buster, when I realised it needs to add i386 architecture, and install around 90 additional i386 packages

Yes, it will need lots of new packages because it can't use the 64-bit versions you already have.

bester69 wrote:so this might generate a mess in the installation with dependecy packages eventually

The risks should be no greater than for the 64-bit packages you already have, your reasoning is specious (as usual).

vbrummon wrote:Disk space is cheap.

The issue is bigger than disk space: http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Offtopic