Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stallman forced to resign from FSF and MIT

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
millpond

Re: Stallman resigns from FSF and MIT in protest

#16 Post by millpond »

Stallman is brilliant as an aspie, but often myopic on other issues, such as being a demonrat. But at least he is sick of some of the social marxist gibberish (anti-social and fascist).

Perhaps by not veering toooo far from poliical corrrectness is his main way of getting too marginalized. But the 'me too' BS pushed him over the edge.

He is one of the 'great' figures of the 20th century. Not so much in the 21st. It seems his creative talent was spent on EMACS. Hurd was a long, on going embarassment.

pylkko

Re: Stallman forced to resign from FSF and MIT

#17 Post by pylkko »

Well, he almost single handedly wrote one of the most used piece of software ever, gcc, which ultimately made linux possible.

There has been a lot of uncertainty if he will be allowed to continue to be head of GNU. I think he first annouced that he would continue despite being released from FSF, but then that was taken back.

Personally, I think this is pretty insane and unreasonable. But that's life

jarlaxl

#18 Post by jarlaxl »

millpond wrote: -brilliant aspie,
-myopic,
-demonrat
-at least sick
-gibberish
-far from political corrrectness
-too marginalized
-'great' figures of the 20th century
-Not so much in the 21st.
-creative talent spent
-embarassment.
so much hate...?
jL Compromises; - one life (?), one moment (?); -one word 10^3 pics -world of words; meanings collapse;
The slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

jarlaxl wrote:[... Sexual crimes for people we dont like. remember the swedish air hostess who lost her virginity from the wikileaks founder? ...
So you subscribe to a different justice system than most people, guilty until proven innocent. That has not been to trial and was staunchly denied. Many believe it was a ruse to get Assange to a country with extradition agreements with the US so they could throw him over the coals there.

This topic should be locked if that is the quality of comment it attracts.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

#20 Post by Deb-fan »

Can't help but admire and respect RMS. No matter what he gets associated with or gets forcefully disassociated with the guy is a historical figure. Bit hazy on the history of FOSS atm(been out of loop and just can't remember a bunch of junk I'd learned on the topic.) Regardless he played a major role.

Same time, if someone watches some of the vids of him at conferences or etc. Can definitely see where=why serious FOSS and tech organizations would disavow him as their spokesman. Still wishing the guy well.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

jarlaxl

#21 Post by jarlaxl »

sunrat wrote: This topic should be locked if that is the quality of comment it attracts.
Asking to close the post (because i subscribe to a different justice sytem) is no different than how some women ousted rms (Assange if you prefer). The right to free speech/ expression (code/ distribute) is essential for debian as well (otherwise debian would be a proprietary system).

I wonder what are the interests of these women and called reporters and made a big hussle out of rms? The 18yo declares Co-Principle Investigator for a DoD research on drones. @sarahmei wants to remove the board of fsf and rms from gnu for the sake of freedom.
What clauses from GPL would they want added/removed?
BTW if you know any virgin swedish air hostess, notify me.
jL Compromises; - one life (?), one moment (?); -one word 10^3 pics -world of words; meanings collapse;
The slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown

trinidad

#22 Post by trinidad »

Philosophy as a discipline requires an arrogance bordering on narcissism. Sadly Julian's arrogance is what hung him in the end, and Stallman seems to be caught with the same shortcoming. I've known quite a few modern philosophers and those with decency and humor are rare birds. Donald Davidson was a wonderfully generous man, and Jacques Derrida was a very humble man who assessed himself with a good rousing humor, but beyond those two all the others I ever came in contact with were quite emotionally marginalized.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.