Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Remote control a distant android phone on a local and

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
satimis

Re: Remote control a distant android phone on a local and

#16 Post by satimis »

Have tried WiFi direct. It works connecting both phone-A (the camera) and phone-B (remote controller) with the name of them displayed. But both TeamViewer and AnyDesk couldn't work to connect the phones because they need IP address assigned by the server of the developer for connection. I think I need finding an app which doesn't need IP address for connecting Host and Client.

lorigrimes

#17 Post by lorigrimes »

You cannot run a hotspot Host without an internet signal to route. This could be straight up internet connection or WiFi.
They aren't walkie-talkies and even the hotspot only turns the device into a sort of WiFi tower.
For that matter, I currently have an unlimited data plan on my phone and am denied the hotspot function by my service provider. I imagine this is the case with other providers as well.
But even an active hotspot tether will not allow you to control one device remotely with the other. What you are actually trying to do is connect the devices in a network. You will have to either pair them or use something like AirDroid. Even then you need a signal from Host to Client, via internet, WiFi, or USB cable.

satimis

#18 Post by satimis »

Following setup already works for me;

Phone-A
Host Phone - as controller (with SIM card to connect Internet)
enable "Mobile Hotspot Tethering"
App installed;
TeamViewer Control Remote Device

Phone-B
Client Phone - camera (to be controlled)(without SIM card)
App installed;
TeamViewer QuickSupport
and
Add-On: Medion X5004

I can control the camera remotely including the fine-setting features. I wonder whether it is possible without Internet only with Wifi. With Wifi Direct app I can connect the phones without problem. But how to remote-control the camera I need to explore further. I'll try screen casting app later to see whether it works?

pylkko

#19 Post by pylkko »

lorigrimes wrote:You cannot run a hotspot Host without an internet signal to route. This could be straight up internet connection or WiFi.
I really wonder why the makers of Android decided on this, it's weird. Also, I believe it is even more restricted, because it says "will turn of wifi and loose connection. do you want to proceed", which suggests to me that the only conditions under which you can use Android hotsopt is when one phone has mobile internet (not wifi like you suggest).
For that matter, I currently have an unlimited data plan on my phone and am denied the hotspot function by my service provider.
Have never seen this before, but not surprised with all the asshole-design in Android.

I wonder if you root it, can you then get these functions back? Or if you command the back-end directly (may require rooting).

But even an active hotspot tether will not allow you to control one device remotely with the other.
Correct me if I am wrong, but when you use "hotspot" you are in effect making an ad-doc network. At least when I connect to the hotspot of my android phone, I get an IP and can move files over ftp. If this is the case, then many software that work with internet (tcp/ip) will work right out of the box. I just never realizes that if I take out the sim, it will no longer be able to move files wirelessly over ad hoc networks. Makes no sense to me. Do you know why this is? Is it a safety thing?

lorigrimes

#20 Post by lorigrimes »

Do you know why this is? Is it a safety thing?
It's a data plan that prevents me.
I could use the hotspot feature as long as I had a limited amount of mobile data.
And I can still very much connect to a Wifi or another hotspot with this phone.
But when I switched to the unlimited plan Verizon restricted the use of this phone as a hotspot, telling me that I have to subscribe to that service.
Guess they want to make sure they are getting paid for the usage.

lorigrimes

#21 Post by lorigrimes »

[/quote]
lorigrimes wrote:
I could use the hotspot feature as long as I had a limited amount of mobile data.
But when I switched to the unlimited plan Verizon restricted the use of this phone as a hotspot, telling me that I have to subscribe to that service.
I wonder if you root it, can you then get these functions back? Or if you command the back-end directly (may require rooting).
I'm not really sure how to do this, but I would be interested in giving it a try. :wink:

pylkko

#22 Post by pylkko »

lorigrimes wrote:
I don't get it. First you said that it is not possible at all (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 56#p713973), now you claim that it is the data plan the prevents you? Sounds like you're making claims about a topic that you don't actually know much about...