Buying a laptop

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Buying a laptop

Postby arochester » 2020-02-22 20:53

There have been some reasonable articles in "The Guardian" about emmcs.

Ok, they are about Windows, but the basic principles are the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... gb-netbook
arochester

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-02-23 02:16

Hey eor2004, now that's cool, you're clearly someone whose got a good game plan together. :) Keep seeing favorable reference to Thinkpads by people must be something to them. I've gotten to be a big fan of Dell's, just always had really good experiences with them. Though wonder if the same build standards are still true of the brand today? Stevep and eor2094 clearly have their chit together would be looking into their advice. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby eor2004 » 2020-02-23 05:24

Deb-fan wrote:Hey eor2004, now that's cool, you're clearly someone whose got a good game plan together. :) Keep seeing favorable reference to Thinkpads by people must be something to them. I've gotten to be a big fan of Dell's, just always had really good experiences with them. Though wonder if the same build stanrdards are still true of the brand today? Stevep and eor2094 clearly have their chit together would be looking into their advice. :)

The majority of not so new (for not saying old) used Dell's & Thinkpads works very good with linux, even works better than some new & more expensive laptops out there, it all depends on the hardware and/or specifications on the used laptop you're buying, for example a used Dell or Thinkpad with an intel core 2 duo with 2.0Ghz or more and 3Gb of ram or more should work well with any linux distro, at least this is my experience!
OS: Debian 10 Buster 64-bit DE: MATE 1.20 CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 @ 2.8GHZ RAM: 8GB CORSAIR XMS2 PC2-6400U DDR2 (CM2X2048-6400C5C) GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H HDD: Hitachi 2TB (HUA723020ALA641) 7200RPM
eor2004

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-02-23 06:53

^Again a big +1 in that. This thing has a t3400 proc, apparently some kind of dualcore P4 deal @2.17ghz I'd never even heard of before buying it. Gotcha by a hair there but you kicked hell out of me in pricing, even with an SSD upgrade. Looks like that's the way for Op to go if those are the specs/pricing break down common in the EU. Damn didn't know how spoiled I/people here in the states are in this area.

Ps, sure I could've haggled the guy I bought it from down $20 bucks but system was exactly what he said it'd be and he was a nice old gent. What's twenty bucks compared to giving somebody a good experience? Sorry about that situation Op, doesn't seem right but being reminded of just how good I've got it somehow makes me feel a tad better bout things anyway.
Deb-fan

Postby fopenp » 2020-02-23 16:34

I don't know where are you all living... In my country with $50 or $20 you can just buy a broken and cannibalized laptop!

The OP has not explained whether this laptop must be a main computer, a secondary computer specific for something (just spreadsheets?), an experimental machine, or whatever.
fopenp

Postby stevepusser » 2020-02-25 19:07

Don't forget that many of those 32 GB craptops are those Bay Trail Atom machines with Broadcom SDIO wi-fi. Those are royal pains to get working on Linux, if at all, and the touchpads are also quirky.

At least try one out with a Live USB first if you must have one--otherwise you can't go wrong with an older Thinkpad.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby qyron » 2020-02-25 21:44

stevepusser wrote:[...]get a used/refurbished Thinkpad 420 or similar on Amazon that has aged out of the business world.[...]

I wish I could do that. I honestly do. Last time I took the trouble to look into such market, it was dead. Either because companies enter leasing agreements with whatever companies they like, meaning that the old machines are usually "bought back" and disappear from the market or because the companies can't sell assets; our fiscal law states that company property devalues at a fixed rate per year, with such value being deductible at taxes but this also means that any equipment once it reaches a zero value can not be sold and must be destroyed, in order to be removed from the books. Not even workers can buy or keep the equipment for free.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2
qyron

Postby stevepusser » 2020-02-25 21:53

I found some on the US Amazon site the last time I looked; but you may not be able to use that...

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-T430-LED- ... 1T08QZSMMG
stevepusser

Postby qyron » 2020-02-25 21:54

fopenp wrote:I don't know where are you all living... In my country with $50 or $20 you can just buy a broken and cannibalized laptop!

The OP has not explained whether this laptop must be a main computer, a secondary computer specific for something (just spreadsheets?), an experimental machine, or whatever.

General purpose machine, with web navigator and email manager capabilities, for running office applications.

Cannibalized machines are not a good option from what I've seen. Everyone and their uncle have become experts at taking apart laptops lately and perfectly good machines are taken apart beyond point where considering rebuilding can be a worthy gamble. I've seen empty carcasses with asking prices of €60.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2
qyron

Postby qyron » 2020-02-25 21:55

stevepusser wrote:I found some on the US Amazon site the last time I looked; but you may not be able to use that...

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-T430-LED- ... 1T08QZSMMG

I can't, Steve. US market is basically off limits for me. Importing for that market implies paying heavy duties plus VAT. The end price could be more than a new machine here.
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2
qyron

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-02-26 01:11

Those government policies are insane! Destroying perfectly good hardware for such stupidity? That really aggravates me dammit! Sounds like major corruption in action, as usual, somebody is raking in money on such an arrangement, politicos too, bribes. All this is just business as usual in my experience, here in the US too but at least not in this. Someone can easily get quality used systems.

Nopers @Steve, OP doesn't have access to US aimed resources. Would surely be subjected to VAT = value added taxing, which apparently is really costly for those subject to it. Though BIG TIME +1 on you and views on Broadcom! Using dkms or module-assistant just to get WiFi working has been a real pain for me. Honestly wouldn't be depending on what a nixer's doing, dkms does work great anyway. Still compared to having to deal with what OP's facing, better count n consider my blessings.

Oops I also should've read what OP posted above before posting my drek. It's subject to import duties too?!? Omg situation there is just all kinds of wrong.
Deb-fan

Postby fopenp » 2020-02-26 14:37

qyron wrote:I can't, Steve. US market is basically off limits for me. Importing for that market implies paying heavy duties plus VAT. The end price could be more than a new machine here.

A refurbished laptop bought outside of EU implies VAT duties. So IMHO buying in the EU is the right choice for you (qyron).

In my country there are physical shops specialized in refurbished laptops. Discarding museum pieces, I recently seen that a usable used laptop costs more than 350 EUR. I wanted to buy a laptop and, luckily, I also wanted to go into a normal shop for watching the prices for a brand new laptop.

I bought a brand new laptop some month ago (actually manufactured in 2016) with a discounted price of 380 EUR. It's an AMD A12 with 4x 2,7 GHz CPU (boost at 3,4 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR4, way faster than my DDR3 machines), NVMe storage (more than 1 GB/s), USB 3.1 and USB 3.0 port, 15" screen, H264 and HEVC hardware decoder, HDMI output (which I connect it to my 22" TV).
It's noisy (because it's an ultrabook) but I'm absolutely satisfied, because is really fast in many tasks (and I also have another 8x 4,0 GHz desktop CPU). The hardware is new and, thanks to linux, I'll have at least another 10 years compatibility with free and non-free drivers. Another bonus: no scratches or faded parts at all!

So, for a main machine, I suggest you to reflect on this: it's better saving money today and using a precarious machine for years, or is better accumulating money and buy a modern machine (for 400-500 EUR) which will go fast for a decade?
fopenp

Postby stevepusser » 2020-02-26 20:01

Compared to these oddball Broadcom SDIO wi-fi chipsets, getting wi-fi working using broadcom-sta-dkms for its compatible chips is a walk in the park. :(
stevepusser

Postby stevepusser » 2020-02-26 20:07

[quote="fopenp"]
I bought a brand new laptop some month ago (actually manufactured in 2016) with a discounted price of 380 EUR. It's an AMD A12 with 4x 2,7 GHz CPU (boost at 3,4 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR4, way faster than my DDR3 machines), NVMe storage (more than 1 GB/s), USB 3.1 and USB 3.0 port, 15" screen, H264 and HEVC hardware decoder, HDMI output (which I connect it to my 22" TV).
...[
/quote]

Do you have that hardware video decoder working in Linux? I know we have it working out of the box for Intel GPUs with va-api on MX Linux, and suspect we also have it working for AMD GPUS, but don't have any hardware to test that, and it's tough to get users to test that for some reason.
stevepusser

Postby sunrat » 2020-02-26 20:52

I just bought a used notebook yesterday for travel so only needed low specs. Its a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e, a model which was targeted at the school market. $AU395 (new they are ~$AU920), about 18 months old and looks almost like its never been used.
11.6" touch screen which folds 360° so it can be used like a tablet, Celeron 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD, Win 10 Home.
Installed Debian Buster from netinstall, then kde-plasma-desktop after rebooting, and subsequently copied the package list from my production system and installed all those. I was actually a little surprised the install went so easily.
Everything seems to work although I didn't test thoroughly as it was late by the time I finished installing. Installed with ethernet but wifi was detected during install so will test that later. Didn't test the touch screen and tap didn't work on touchpad although scrolling and buttons were really good. Very happy with it so far.
I'll add inxi info later when I boot it again.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic