Your impressions about Brave browser

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Your impressions about Brave browser

Postby bester69 » 2020-03-07 16:22

What do you thing about brave browser?..

To me, right now, Its the best internet browser available,
It feels a more serious, better concept and more developed product than Opera, Chrome or Vivaldi... Im very delighed with this browser, I just miss an account cloud for syncing like opera 's.

Also miss barside tool and "V7 Bookmarks" extension, I wish I was able to install that extension in brave or in chrome. :(
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Re: Your impressions about Brave browser

Postby wino » 2020-03-07 20:52

I am not so brave to try it. sketchy to me.
wino

Postby sunrat » 2020-03-07 21:08

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://practicaltypography.com/the-cowardice-of-brave.html

Interesting article. I installed Brave a while back and it just gave me a feeling something devious was happening in the background. I uninstalled it very quickly. I didn't understand it's modus operandi at the time but it seems my feeling was right. This quote is particularly amusing:
If tar­geted web ad­ver­tis­ing is a shit sand­wich, then Brave is merely cut­ting off the crusts.

I'll stick to Mozilla Firefox as I have done since it was called Phoenix. They still seem to have some ethics.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby stevepusser » 2020-03-07 21:46

Don't you also to have to disable sandboxing for it on Debian kernels, like so many other Chromium browsers?

I'm sticking with Chromium backported from Sid to Buster (by yrs truly) when I want to extend battery life when watching browser video, like a streaming event where people are sportsing. :) That because it's the only browser I've found on Debian that has achieved the Holy Grail of hardware accelerated vaapi video decoding, at least for my Coffee Lake laptop. I can't get that working on an Acer Skylake laptop, even though va-api is working for VLC and other apps on it.

That's more important to me than vague "feel-good" promises, to tell the truth.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.6, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Chromium with va-api, Telegram-desktop 1.9.21, Clipgrab 3.8.11
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-07 23:23

OT for this thread but:
stevepusser wrote:the Holy Grail of hardware accelerated vaapi video decoding

Firefox will also have VAAPI support under Wayland for v75: https://mastransky.wordpress.com/2020/0 ... n-wayland/

And to get back on topic here's another opinion piece about Brave:

https://rudism.com/the-brave-browser-is-brilliant/

I would post my own opinion but I don't have one :mrgreen:
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby bester69 » 2020-03-07 23:37

stevepusser wrote:Don't you also to have to disable sandboxing for it on Debian kernels, like so many other Chromium browsers?

That's more important to me than vague "feel-good" promises, to tell the truth.

That's interesting becouse im not using "disable sandboxing" with brave and even so this last version of based on chromium works great in my old 2008's extensa laptop.. I was stucked since long with Operav42 and "disable sandboxing" (very old version).. and now I can use last chrome version by using Brave browser..(I havent try yet chrome for version 80.0.3987, I have it hold it), perhaps the improve i feel has to be with V8 javascript engine, or perhaps with OpenGl Enabled for first time in chromium engine.

I have also tested that same chrome version in Opera browser and doesnt work same smooth than brave... it might have to be with ad blocks brave brights embeded or perhaps to the configuration flags it uses...

see how different is brave launch.:

/opt/brave.com/brave/brave --enable-dom-distiller --disable-domain-reliability --no-pings --extension-content-verification=enforce_strict --extensions-install-verification=enforce --sync-url=https://no-thanks.invalid --enable-features=PasswordImport,WebUIDarkMode,SimplifyHttpsIndicator --disable-features=AutofillServerCommunication,AllowPopupsDuringPageUnload,LookalikeUrlNavigationSuggestionsUI,NotificationTriggers,AudioServiceOutOfProcess,SmsReceiver,WebXR,VideoPlaybackQuality,WebXrGamepadModule --flag-switches-begin --enable-features=PasswordImport,WebUIDarkMode,SimplifyHttpsIndicator,ExtensionsToolbarMenu --flag-switches-end --disable-webrtc-apm-in-audio-service --disable-sync

Opera launch.:
/snap/opera/67/usr/bin/opera --password-store --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --enable-quic
bester69

Postby bester69 » 2020-03-07 23:53

there seems to be some consensous braves is faster
https://technicaljayendra.com/brave-vs-opera/

COMPARING PERFORMANCE
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/4/18249 ... t-chromium
Browsers are always a headache to compare in terms of performance, as most of the benchmarks available for them are impossible to relate to real-world tasks. This is why I invested a couple of weeks into switching between Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi, and Safari — the top five options on Apple’s macOS.

I did eventually run some synthetic benchmarks using browserbench.org and Basemark 3.0 to confirm or refute my findings, and they agreed with my conclusions. Chrome and Vivaldi are similar,...
>> Firefox continues to feel like the slowest option from the bunch, and it performs worst on benchmarks, like those provided on browserbench.org.
>> Brave is tangibly faster than Chrome, and because it otherwise behaves like Chrome, it’s the fastest browser for my use.

Brave is a speed and privacy upgrade over Chrome, and the switch to it has prompted me to belatedly start using a proper password manager. It’s an all-around victory, albeit with one imperfection: a whole bunch of sites now think that I’m a bot. It must be a feature of Brave’s tracker-blocking behavior, but I’m seeing a heap of visual CAPTCHAs and other additional security checks that I didn’t see when browsing with Chrome. Swiss Air offered the most informative explanation for why I was going through an extra check, telling me I’ve exhibited “unusual behaviour ... which resembles that of a bot.” Personally, I like this. I like the idea of my browser being so protective of my privacy that I stop appearing human to the rest of the internet. Other than that one foible, there’s no downside to making the switch.
bester69

Postby Lecram » 2020-03-12 08:56

sunrat wrote:
I installed Brave a while back and it just gave me a feeling something devious was happening in the background. I uninstalled it very quickly. I didn't understand it's modus operandi at the time but it seems my feeling was right. I'll stick to Mozilla Firefox as I have done since it was called Phoenix. They still seem to have some ethics.

I guess i wasn't the only one feeling that way about the browser. Its better to use the open source chromium browser instead. well there are some interesting alternative lightweight browsers in the Debian repo itself, better to use that instead of risking your online security by using the Brave browser.
Lecram

Postby jimcomery » 2020-03-17 06:13

bester69 wrote:What do you thing about brave browser?..

To me, right now, Its the best internet browser available,
It feels a more serious, better concept and more developed product than Opera, Chrome or Vivaldi... Im very delighed with slitherio this browser, I just miss an account cloud for syncing like opera 's.

Also miss barside tool and "V7 Bookmarks" extension, I wish I was able to install that extension in brave or in chrome. :(

I'm not so brave to try it.
jimcomery

Return to Offtopic