Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hehe, checkout the revolt

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
sinical

Hehe, checkout the revolt

#1 Post by sinical »

happening at www.digg.com. front page is filled with stories of a leaked hd-dvd key
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

Dargor

#2 Post by Dargor »

yea i read that on slashdot, funny thing is that it looks like some of the comments have been removed.

looks like alot of people like rebellion. I know i do, im getting a t-shirt. :)

http://09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63.com/

llivv

#3 Post by llivv »

':
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 18:24, edited 3 times in total.

ghostdawg

#5 Post by ghostdawg »

What does leak key mean? What is purpose of it?
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

sinical

#6 Post by sinical »

It allows you to play DRM HD-DVD media on other OS's / devices..

Its a bit like the DVDcss of years ago
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
umop apisdn

sinical

#7 Post by sinical »

Here is an Ars Technia story of it all
umop apisdn

dmn_clown

#8 Post by dmn_clown »

Ahh, another useful tool that will be illegal for me to use.

Thank you, Bill Clinton, the DMCA is simply awesome.

DeanLinkous

#9 Post by DeanLinkous »

illegal to have fair use of something you purchased - not in my book

I paid to watch the content on a DVD and by golly how I do that is not open for negotiation - it is my fair use!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Vergil

#10 Post by Vergil »

DeanLinkous wrote:illegal to have fair use of something you purchased - not in my book

I paid to watch the content on a DVD and by golly how I do that is not open for negotiation - it is my fair use!
The courts in the US have ruled, circumventing copycontrol measures is illegal under the DMCA.
Universal v. Reimerdes

It is a great country isn't it :roll:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#11 Post by Lavene »

Here the government/ courts actually are starting to get the drift. It's decided in the supreme court that circumventing any kind of protection in order to play the media on a device is perfectly legal as long as current copyright laws is observed. Here, if you buy it you own it and can do what ever you want with it.

It was Norway that started to lean on Apple and their iPod 'lockin'. Actually they just demanded that they changed their license if they wanted to continue to market iTunes in Norway but it ended in Apple removing all DRM.

Tina

DeanLinkous

#12 Post by DeanLinkous »

Vergil wrote: The courts in the US have ruled, circumventing copycontrol measures is illegal under the DMCA.
Circumventing copy control measures if you do not have authorized access to the work is illegal. The DMCA deals with unauthorized access to a work. I hold that a legally purchased DVD would mean you have authorized access or else how would I watch the DVD in the first place? So IMO I have authorized access to the content and therefore I hold that my usage is not illegal in any form.

oh and copyright/fair use was around long before DMCA

But if these companies do not want me to use their product then I am often happy to find something else to do with my money. :D
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

GMouse

#13 Post by GMouse »

DeanLinkous wrote: But if these companies do not want me to use their product then I am often happy to find something else to do with my money. :D
++
For the sake of proper attribution, my avatar: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40999320/

dmn_clown

#14 Post by dmn_clown »

DeanLinkous wrote:...I hold that a legally purchased DVD would mean you have authorized access or else how would I watch the DVD in the first place? So IMO I have authorized access to the content and therefore I hold that my usage is not illegal in any form.
I agree with you, fair use should cover it, unfortunately the RIAA and MPAA do not share this view. Their lobbyists also do a great job of convincing the entrenched politicians to support their view of the matter, hence it is/will be illegal in the United States.

Why do you think RMS doesn't watch DVDs?

Vergil

#15 Post by Vergil »

DeanLinkous wrote:The DMCA deals with unauthorized access to a work.
It sure does not. Why do you think it is illegal for me to copy a DVD I own using DeCSS to decript it? Any circumvention without permission of the copyright holder, except when authorized by the Librarian of Congress, is illegal.
Ҥ 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems

“(a) Violations Regarding Circumvention of Technological Measures.—(1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

“(B) The prohibition contained in subparagraph (A) shall not apply to persons who are users of a copyrighted work which is in a particular class of works, if such persons are adversely affected by virtue of such prohibition in their ability to make noninfringing uses of that particular class of works under this title, as determined under subparagraph (C).......

“(D) The Librarian shall publish any class of copyrighted works for which the Librarian has determined, pursuant to the rulemaking conducted under subparagraph (C), that noninfringing uses by persons who are users of a copyrighted work are, or are likely to be, adversely affected, and the prohibition contained in subparagraph (A) shall not apply to such users with respect to such class of works for the ensuing 3-year period.
The DMCA is expansive in its power. Circumvention is only protected under a exemption granted by the Librarian. No where in the current exemptions are fair use for DVD.
DeanLinkous wrote:oh and copyright/fair use was around long before DMCA
I don't agree with the DMCA (hell no!), however, it is currently the law.
DeanLinkous wrote:But if these companies do not want me to use their product then I am often happy to find something else to do with my money. :D
I agree 100%. I haven't purchased nor downloaded a RIAA record in years.

rathskunk

#16 Post by rathskunk »

From an academic point of view this discovery is an impressive achievement if it is true.

However, all of this seems like a lot of hype to me, really. I believe it is essentially impossible to provide content on media that people are able to play back but unable to copy. The reason for this thinking is that technology continually becomes more advanced and more powerful. In other words, whatever copy protection scheme is used will eventually become old and trivial to defeat.

llivv

#17 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by Lavene »

rickh

#19 Post by rickh »

Check out this ITP
The DDs on Planet Debian are totally berzerko about that number. However Matthew Garrett, May 3 remains unimpressed.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#20 Post by Lavene »

I think that ITP was filed as a joke...

But the current 'revolt' that's taking place all over the net these days is not really about cracking HD-DVDs but more about sticking it to the industry. "We got you this time and we'll get you again". If it hadn't been for the takedown requests I think the entire thing would have died a fairly quick death. After all, the entire idea behind keys is that they can be changed. But for now: "All your base are belong to us!"

Tina :)