Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows update 7 to 10; no problems with GRUB

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
kedaha

Windows update 7 to 10; no problems with GRUB

#1 Post by kedaha »

As a dedicated free software enthusiast I am not too proud of this but I may one day wish to sell my old computer with its 2013 BIOS to some dedicated non-free software user so I reasoned it might be not a bad idea to update the thing.
I seldom if ever booted the Windows 7 Pro and had even removed the Windows sticker from the casing and replaced it with a Free Software Foundation GPL sticker so I wondered if I might need the product ID number for the update. I was also a bit concerned lest the update messed things up because I also multi boot Debian along with FreeBSD, OpenBSD which I also haven't booted for a long time.
The update was long and boring and after the second reboot before proceeding with the numerous updates I booted Debian and ran update-grub and Windows 10 appeared in the boot menu and after several more reboots the process was completed and fortunately I didn't need the sticker with the productID which, as a precaution, I had looked for and found in the registry.
I might mention that I didn't bother to make any backups. If the update had gone wrong then I thought—to hell with it!—I would have simply deleted the partition because there are better ways to spend one's free time. :wink:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.