Windows is becoming Linux - new Killer Project from MS :LOL:

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Windows is becoming Linux - new Killer Project from MS :

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-06-01 19:15

@pylkko I really appreciate Your post, but the problem is rather more complex:
Indeed, f.e. Google is behaving just like You have described, but Microshit is a different animal:
The "EEE" method they're using is targeted at killing competition/innovation, and if the competitive project is too "good", they are trying to obfuscate the situation, i.e. by creating "alternative" projects which are not really an alternative - but they have the same names ...

The key problem here is that education quality level is dropping from generation to generation - in the end there will be no single human who will know how to shut down all those "wonderful" services/servers/AI machines ...

..in the mean time however, Microshit will destroy FOSS, unless we will inform all the people what's going on ...

Regards
Last edited by LE_746F6D617A7A69 on 2020-06-01 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby pylkko » 2020-06-02 11:24

I'm not sure they are doing anything different than other companies. Perhaps, but Chrome OS and OSX also use a package manager and app store and shell etc. I think a lot of people have a lot of hate for them because of the past, but what they are doing doesn't seem to me to be more worrisome than what other tech giants are doing. Don't forget that the linux foundation is mostly funded by Facebook, MS, Google etc.

In the television adds of Chrome books they even claim that if you migrate to them you will spend less time worrying about malware because of their package deployment. OSX and ChromeOS are real competitors for MS unlike desktop linux which has like less than 1% of the "market share". MS even started to call their programs "apps" now, so I think they are just worried that their OS will start to feel outdated to users that are used to mobile OS's, unless they change it. So they are stealing ideas from Chrome OS and OSX.

But if you do the thought experiment: "Ah, how would I design the most efficient trickle-up economy?" Anything invented by MS will be a pretty good contender in that scheme.
pylkko

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-06-02 19:48

pylkko wrote:I'm not sure they are doing anything different than other companies.

Have You ever heard of any Google or IOS project that is pretending to be a FOSS project by using the same name?
IOS community have forked APT - that's true, but first: it's the community project (the people), not the Apple project (corporation), second - they have changed the name of the project to avoid confusion - I think that the difference is quite clear...

My personal theory:
1. Microshit has to port their technology to ARM - their current ARM kernel implementation is a joke (speaking gently) (they are about to drop Intel on Surface)
2. Microshit doesn't have a file system - FAT32 has been "licensed" to Linus Torvalds (long file names), NTFS is a joke, ReFS is a total disaster - rememeber? a single man at Google have created EXT4 (Theodore Tso)
3. Their Hypervisors are even funnier joke - KVM is over it, eating their crappy hypervisors for breakfast...

Simply speaking, MS have never created a truly innovative project - all that they can do is to steal ideas and code - if this is impossible, they can buy a whole companies/projects (like f.e. Skype) - so they can pretend that they have "created" something.

Bill G. was a briliant salesmen - but also He was a thief and a very poor programmer ...
Now he is going to sell us a vaccine for covid-19 - a relly good salesman...

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-06-10 12:22

Forking, forking...

A clone of GitHub itself: https://github.com/microsoft/opensource-portal
A clone of Kubernetes: https://github.com/microsoft/kubernetes-autoscaler
A clone of Apache Kafka: https://github.com/microsoft/kafka
A clone of OpenVPN: https://github.com/microsoft/openvpn

Of course, forking is completely legal and it's allowed by the respective licenses, but there's one catch:
:arrow: Microsoft demands the developers to sign the MSCLA document (Contribution License Agreement).

The CLA clearly explains why MS is cloning the repos instead of contrbuting the code to original projects:
5. Licenses.
a. Copyright License. You grant Microsoft, and those who receive the Submissiondirectly or indirectly from Microsoft, a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable license in the Submission to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, and distribute the Submission and such derivative works, and to sublicense any or all of the foregoing rights to third parties.

This basically allows MS to do just anything with the project, includig possibility of using the code in their own closed-source projects and changing the licensing terms for "third-parties". But foremost, it allows to put Microsoft logo on the cloned projects -> a classic case of EEE
MS Research Team has a funny explanation on why did they forked the OpenVPN: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/researc ... rypto-vpn/
The funny thing is, that their own RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is known to have many bugs and security holes - so instead of "improving" OpenVPN, they should do more "research" on their own shitty projects ... :lol:
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-06-12 11:54

I Contribute to the Windows Kernel
Oh god, the NTFS code is a purple opium-fueled Victorian horror novel that uses global recursive locks and SEH for flow control. Let's write ReFs instead. (And hey, let's start by copying and pasting the NTFS source code and removing half the features! Then let's add checksums, because checksums are cool, right, and now with checksums we're just as good as ZFS? Right? And who needs quotas anyway?)

This partially explains why Microsoft have joined the Linux Foundation -> they are unable to maintain and develop that shitty Windows kernel code anymore... :mrgreen:

I'm guessing that Windows11 will run on Linux kernel + WSL :lol:

EDIT:
Proof: the SHA-1 hash of revision #102 of pagfault.c is 0cb82a9525a2158e2a87f5eb53d41e5936cee5a2
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby luvr » 2020-07-21 16:51

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Call me paranoid, but I think that we are facing a new wave of attacks on Linux - Embrace,Extend,Extinguish

You think you’re paranoid? Ha! You don’t even know half the story: The Day AppGet Died.
luvr

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-07-22 18:15

luvr wrote:
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Call me paranoid, but I think that we are facing a new wave of attacks on Linux - Embrace,Extend,Extinguish

You think you’re paranoid? Ha! You don’t even know half the story: The Day AppGet Died.
This story speaks for itself, but also it confirms what I knew for years: from the very beginning, all Microsoft projects are based on stolen ideas and code, including Windows kernel.

This company makes a harm to our civilization - it would be best if they'd just vanish from the surface of the planet Earth.
And I think that we are getting closer to this moment:
China to Ditch All Windows PCs by 2022
... so Chinese will start to use Steam for gaming on Linux? -> that's a huge market for selling games ;)
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Previous

Return to Offtopic