Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

grub rescue, error: disk 'lvmid..' not found,after grub-inst

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
cuckooflew

Re: grub rescue, error: disk 'lvmid..' not found,after grub-

#16 Post by cuckooflew »

Congratulations on using it 2 years before Linus Torvalds published the source code for the kernel!
:D Good catch, I missed that,...but based on the wiki, and my calculator, it is only 1 year, so pretty close,..
Linux (/ˈlɪnəks/ (About this soundlisten) LIN-əks)[9][10] is a family of open source Unix-like operating systems based on the Linux kernel,[11] an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds.[12][13][14] Linux is typically packaged in a Linux distribution.

Code: Select all

$ bc 
2020-1991
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

RU55EL

#17 Post by RU55EL »

Kali is (I believe) a tool for system administrators and others responsible for the care and security of computers, usually servers. It's ironic, if you have to ask how to fix Kali, you are not one of the people it was designed for. In my exploration of Kali, I have come to the conclusion that I am nowhere near qualified to make use of it.

Kali is defiantly, a very poor choice as an everyday desktop system. That is not what it was designed for. Debian is a much better choice.

[edit]
I will also emphasize that Kali questions should be directed to the Kali Linux forum.
[/edit]

KaliDevHacker

#18 Post by KaliDevHacker »

You have absolutely right. In 1989-1992 i went computer engineer school in Bergen. It was Unix, not Linux.
I can see i have done a lot of failure here. Wrong distro, wrong forum, have to change my username or you all are going to
laugh at me for the rest of my life.
I am so sorry for doing all this mistakes. A forum moderator can delete my user, and you will never see me again.
I bet you were all expert users when you started the Linux, and you probably never did anything wrong.
Thank you very much for everything and goodbye
[Linux server 4.19.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.118-2 (2020-04-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux]

DevPiggy

cuckooflew

#19 Post by cuckooflew »

Oh no , I feel so bad, almost makes me want to cry, but hey, you know, and we know, we all started out not knowing anything, made and still make mistake, some learned and still learn from their mistakes, and continue to make mistakes,learn and grow,...instead of just giving up.
The username , well I am sure we would get over that, and a little humour is good for everyone, but you could ask a admin to change the username, or you also could start a new account, and use a new username, or just keep the one you have...
cuckooflew wrote:Ok, and yes, actually all (or most) of the tools that Kali uses are available for Debian and in the Debian repositoriess,
and for Desktop use , Debian will be better. So any way, welcome back to Linux and welcome to the forum, apology if we seem "snobbish", but honestly we (most of us) really take Debian pretty seriously,..especially about keeping the forum dedicated to Debian. Thanks
Ahh, edit P.S. If you do re-install Debian, be more carefull when the installer asks where you want to install grub.
============
KaliDevHacker > Thank you very much for everything and goodbye
You are welcome, and all ways will be if and when you return, but any way, for now good bye, and don't give up, next time probably will be better.
Oh, and P.S,
A forum moderator can delete my user,
No, sorry about this, the moderators and admins do not delete accounts, just like that, how ever you can read this :
Account Deletion the theread explains how you can disable your account yourself, if you really want to. But think seriously on that, once disabled it can not be re-enabled,....and I seriously doubt a admin would do it for you.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

KaliDevHacker

#20 Post by KaliDevHacker »

For me its all or nothing. I am a stubborn person, i will never give up, not Debian, and not my username. If you are gonna **** me because of my username, i would rather go for Arch linux if this is the only forum there is on Debian, or show you all that you are wrong for thinking i am stupid or a wannabe hacker that never will be anything more than a script kiddie.
I have allways been the comedian, or the funny guy because i like being that. I never said i was a hacker, i dont wanna be a hacker, and in the situations were people tell me how to act, i just do the opposite to **** them off. I like Debian, and i am serious about it, not because i work with it, just because i like it and i wanna be good in everything i do, or else its no point in doing it. You probably think i am 12 years old for picking a username like this, but i hope you one day will see past that and see me for my who i am, and not for a dumbass picking the wrong username. I was also trying to post this post in Kali Forum a week ago, it looks like they are not serious people at all. It never got on the forum, and i did not get any answer for why, so i ditch those people, and when i think about it, why use Kali, its probably just a couple of tools i am going to use from there anyway.

1) If you are willing to point me in the right direction for which debian distro i am gonna pick?
Please dont say Ubuntu, i dont like doing things the easy way, i will do it the hard way, because i learn more that way, better to force myselves using the terminal. I am learning python programming for the moment, and i wanna learn NASM programming. I was programming in Basic, Pascal, C, C++ and database back in the days.
2) What books will you recommend be buying?
I am currently reading "Kali Linux, Revealed", "Gray hat Hacking", and "Unix and Linux system administration Handbook"
[Linux server 4.19.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.118-2 (2020-04-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux]

DevPiggy

cuckooflew

#21 Post by cuckooflew »

I have all ways been the comedian, or the funny guy because i like being that.
I like that, and I am the same, I enjoy being sarcastic, or some call it "wise guy", so any way, good to see you decided to stay.
1) If you are willing to point me in the right direction for which debian distro i am gonna pick?
Please dont say Ubuntu, i dont like doing things the easy way,----snip----
This is going to get various answers, because the "best distro" is a matter of opinions, my opinion is
pure Debian would be your best choice, My first Linux distro was Knopix, but now that I know better I like Debian better.
On the books:
"Unix and Linux system administration Handbook" is very good, ...probably some other forum members will have more suggestions,

Are you set on using Linux ?
KaliDevHacker »You have absolutely right. In 1989-1992 i went computer engineer school in Bergen. It was Unix ---snip--
All though I did not go to any school, my interest in computers started before Linux even existed, I studied at "The University of Hardknocks", being on the street, and 12 years old, (I did not like school), Public libraries were my class rooms, but anyway this is another topic,...
I ask, because a BSD, my preference is OpenBsd, It is much more like the Unix I remember, all though I have forgotten much more then I know now a days, I am reminded of the things I have forgotten, every day when I search data bases, including my own archives,... sometimes I know I seem very stupid to some people, and still make many mistakes, but less then I did when I was 12 years old, some people say I act like a 12 year old as well, but again, that is another topic,...The Open Bsd forum is some what more friendly, and "intelligent", or serious. And you won't see "assholes" like me, on that forum...the moderators don't tolerate it.
Have you ever heard of or used "Minix3" ?
Seems like you would be familiar with it, any way all though it is not of much use as a complete desktop system, it is a challenge,one can learn a lot from it, but it is more of a educational tool, or toy, depending....
Actually minix3 is considerably more powerful then what many people think, but that is yet another topic,: https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-int ... ng-system/
Also some consider it the most popular: https://www.networkworld.com/article/32 ... intel.html
I like this better:
https://fossbytes.com/minix-worlds-most ... os-threat/
It is not really as much of a threat as they make it sound though, a lot depends on who uses it and who has the source code of the closed source code, (read the article to make more sense), I suspect a lot is just plain jealous on the part of the Linux people, Intel choose Minix for a reason, part of the reason was licensing, but also reliability: https://www.zdnet.com/article/minixs-cr ... -using-it/
Sorry to drift so far off topic, fortunately it is really late, and I need to let the nurse change some bandages, and the pain is getting unbearable, so more drugs... and again, glad to see you decided to stay.
and

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

KaliDevHacker wrote:show you all that you are wrong for thinking i am stupid or a wannabe hacker that never will be anything more than a script kiddie
Pro tip: stop worrying about what other people think.
KaliDevHacker wrote:If you are willing to point me in the right direction for which debian distro i am gonna pick?
I recommend Debian stable. If you want to practice some grey-hat h4x0r crap then run Kali from a live USB stick, just like the professionals do.
KaliDevHacker wrote:What books will you recommend be buying?
Buy? :o

No need for that: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=146364
deadbang

cuckooflew

#23 Post by cuckooflew »

The The Debian Administrator's Handbook for Buster (View online)is really one of the best, in my opinion as well, if one has a printer and wants it on paper, well that is what I do, just print the pages you want.
The author does like donations, if you can afford buying a book, a donation is almost the same thing.
I did not think to mention it last night.
From above link: . If you find this book valuable, please consider contributing to its continued maintenance either by buying a paperback copy or by making a donation through the book's official website:
There you go, I did not realize there was a paper back addition, so if you do not have a printer , that is a good option. This book is especially valuable if you decide to use Debian as your main system , but a lot can also be applied to other Linux distros.
and

KaliDevHacker

#24 Post by KaliDevHacker »

Thanks cuckooflew and Head_on_a_Stick for tips. I just overwrite my Kali disk with The current "stable" distribution of Debian that is version 10, codenamed buster.
I just go on with it right now, i have a lots of things i need to learn and i cant wait to start, so thanks again and i will probably ask for more help along the way.

DevPiggy

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by CwF »

That's the spirit! I did bark, you came in a little strong...