Anyone else backup whole system into the Cloud?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Anyone else backup whole system into the Cloud?

Postby DebbyIan » 2020-07-13 15:33

RU55EL wrote:
DebbyIan wrote:What are people on?
Despite all the hype about the cloud, it's not particularly cost-effective.


Gmail provides you with 5 GB of cloud storage for free, and I don't think Google is going to disappear anytime soon. I do however agree that it is much more secure to use an external, or local drive.


You are assuming that Google will continue providing the service. They may well do, they may well not. You don't know that. Besides what is 5GB? It used to be 15GB, it's dropped down to 5. Assumptions, assumptions.
DebbyIan
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 2013-05-09 12:12

Re: Anyone else backup whole system into the Cloud?

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-07-13 16:27

RU55EL wrote:I do however agree that it is much more secure to use an external, or local drive.

If by "more secure" You mean that the data won't disappear due to a *single drive* failure - then yes, I agree. (EDIT: I mean that off-line backup is very secure, provided that it is frequently updated)
But, a cheap RAID array with level >= 1 gives cloud-quality level of protection, much higher storage capacity EDIT: and data transfers.

DebbyIan wrote:Assumptions, assumptions.

Yet another optimistic assumption about cloud services is that they can't be hacked, so the data won't get deleted/modified and it won't leak to the internet.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 2020-05-03 14:16

Re: Anyone else backup whole system into the Cloud?

Postby RU55EL » 2020-07-13 18:22

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
RU55EL wrote:I do however agree that it is much more secure to use an external, or local drive.

If by "more secure" You mean that the data won't disappear due to a *single drive* failure - then yes, I agree. (EDIT: I mean that off-line backup is very secure, provided that it is frequently updated)
But, a cheap RAID array with level >= 1 gives cloud-quality level of protection, much higher storage capacity EDIT: and data transfers.


I am referring to both physical security and privacy security. The privacy security being my greatest concern.
User avatar
RU55EL
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 2014-04-07 03:42
Location: /home/russel

Re: Anyone else backup whole system into the Cloud?

Postby RU55EL » 2020-07-13 18:26

DebbyIan wrote:You are assuming that Google will continue providing the service. They may well do, they may well not. You don't know that. Besides what is 5GB? It used to be 15GB, it's dropped down to 5. Assumptions, assumptions.


Quite true. But, it isn't expensive. Of course, that is assuming that Google continues to provide the service for free...

I do recommend backing up data to your own hardware.
User avatar
RU55EL
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 2014-04-07 03:42
Location: /home/russel

Re: Anyone else backup whole system into the Cloud?

Postby bester69 » 2020-07-15 21:48

RU55EL wrote:
DebbyIan wrote:You are assuming that Google will continue providing the service. They may well do, they may well not. You don't know that. Besides what is 5GB? It used to be 15GB, it's dropped down to 5. Assumptions, assumptions.


Quite true. But, it isn't expensive. Of course, that is assuming that Google continues to provide the service for free...

I do recommend backing up data to your own hardware.

Im ok with Box and MEGA.

I have two free account for Box (10G each one)..in one, I backup full system every six months or so, in secon one I backup my dadabackup, I keep a local backup copy for data that i mirror to cloud each 3 months..

then , I have two free account for MEGA (50G+50G), there I backup movies, photos, wine installations, linux isos.., etc.. sometimes If i need to use Microsoft Draw, I download a wine image installation (4G) and in ten minits or so Ive deployed Microsoft Draw in Playonlinux.. the same for Autocad and other tools like Abbyfinereader or Loquendo Voices..all under playonlinux image file installations
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
User avatar
bester69
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: 2015-04-02 13:15

Previous

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

fashionable