Using VirtualBox for building Linux from Scratch

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Using VirtualBox for building Linux from Scratch

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-07-25 18:24

But I cannot create a new partition on my Laptop's internal hard disk as it is almost full and I don't have any spare external hard disk.

If you can afford it, another external drive, or portable USB drive is a very good option, I use them a lot and try to all ways have a extra one handy,...where I live it is not just running down to the store, there are not any, it is a 2 hour drive, to the closest city.Any way, have fun. Oh, and
Post by toxicspiritssssss » 2020-07-24 07:09
Thanks a lot @cuckooflew for your reply.

Your welcome, I forgot, Virtual Box does work as well, but after I switched to QEMU, I never regretted it, and never looked back,..
Also, I forgot about this, and yes you can create a new partition,
Can I create a new partition on my Kali Virtual Disk and use that for building LFS?

you can also make the virtual drive bigger if need be,..https://linuxhint.com/increase-virtualbox-disk-size/
Or keywords,
Code: Select all
Making a Virtual drive bigger on virtualbox
for more info, and details.
Another one ,
https://oracle-base.com/articles/vm/virtualbox-extend-disk-and-file-system
Using key words:
Make  new partition on my  Virtual Disk
Yields some interesting results, being more specific, EG:
Make  new partition on my  QEMU Virtual Disk 

One of many good ones, https://adayinthelifeof.nl/2011/10/11/creating-partitioned-virtual-disk-images/
But it is a little old, (2 years)
Warning: This blogpost has been posted over two years ago. That is a long time in development-world! The story here may not be relevant, complete or secure. Code might not be complete or obsoleted, and even my current vision might have (completely) changed on the subject. So please do read further, but use it with caution. ====snip====

Our OS debugging takes place in both QEMU and Bochs. ... The latter one is a tool from the Bochs Emulator that can create disks. ... is nothing different between creating partitions on a virtual disk than it is on a physical one.

https://adayinthelifeof.nl/2011/10/11/creating-partitioned-virtual-disk-images/
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Google knows a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cuckooflew

Postby toxicspiritssssss » 2020-07-26 06:17

Yes @Head_on_a_Stick. I already did that. Squeezed my Debian partition a little bit to create some 35GB of space. But I reformatted it to ext4. Hope it's fine.

Thanks once again for your help.
toxicspiritssssss

Postby toxicspiritssssss » 2020-07-26 06:29

Thanks @cuckooflew.

If you can afford it, another external drive, or portable USB drive is a very good option, I use them a lot and try to all ways have a extra one handy,...where I live it is not just running down to the store, there are not any, it is a 2 hour drive, to the closest city.Any way, have fun. Oh, and

Yes. Due to this covid pandemic going on, every computer hardware store are closed in my area. Also online suppliers amazon and all are currently not delivering in my area. With number of cases rising exponentially everyday, I don't think situation will get better anytime soon (but I hope it does). I'll surely invest in some good quality disk and its gonna be the first thing I buy when covid situation gets better in my area.

https://oracle-base.com/articles/vm/virtualbox-extend-disk-and-file-system

https://adayinthelifeof.nl/2011/10/11/c ... sk-images/

These 2 links were quite useful for me. Initially, I was struggling to partition my virtual disk but by reading these articles, I got a very good idea on how to do it. Highly helpful. Thanks a lot for these resources and for your valuable time. :D
toxicspiritssssss

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-07-29 03:04

There's another good way to polish your nix skills for aspiring nix-ninja's. Solving other nixers problems, though would do so in a distro forum with a much broader userbase, ie Linux mint etc. What you learn in mint very much applies to much else gnu/nix across the board. Learned a crapton solving other people's issues initially. One of the tricks used in accelerating learning and it can be fun and gratifying fixing other people's problems. Within a couple months had left long time users far behind in the dust, learning things and doing stuff they never bothered with or even thought about. :) Mucking around can give you ideas, help you zero in and get more familiar with the main components involved in an area of gnu/nix. Audio, video( choice of desktop - window's manager, the drivers etc.)

Kept (still can)easily being able to solve peeps problems without even having/using the distro's involved, it's all gnu/linux. Much smaller userbase here, all too often the problem/fix is the same, same here, some braindead user disregarded the fact Debian doesn't come with nonfree out-of-box, thus the endless why isn't my xyz( that requires nonfree)system component working!? Blah blah, wahhhhh. :P However wuv Debian(esp minimal netinstalls), seldom even multiboot-install anything else alongside anymore and Debian cured me of the distrohop many years ago. Still others have their use and place obviously.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby toxicspiritssssss » 2020-07-29 09:37

One of the tricks used in accelerating learning and it can be fun and gratifying fixing other people's problems.

That's actually a good idea @Deb-fan. I personally think the best way to properly learn or understand some concepts or to test your knowledge is to teach it to other people.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

-Albert Einstein

I try to troubleshoot the problems some beginners in Linux face initially, on platforms like Quora. I've used Linux Mint but didn't spend much time on their forums. I'll surely check it out. I personally feel like the most of the people in Debian forum have good amount of knowledge in Linux and they usually don't face beginner level problems. Whenever I come across some new question, I feel like they are a bit to advanced for my existing knowledge and I don't want to give wrong advices, thats why I don't answer much. But I'm sure very soon I'll also gain enough knowledge to answer such advanced kinda questions.

Maybe in coming years, when I gain enough experience and knowledge, I'll make some contributions towards Linux, Debian and towards the whole FOSS world. :D

And yes I'll surely check out Mint forums and try to help people out there. Thanks a lot @Deb-fan. :mrgreen:
toxicspiritssssss

Previous

Return to Offtopic