Console Font in Debian reverts to default on initial boot?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Console Font in Debian reverts to default on initial boot?

Postby UnluckyForSome » 2020-08-20 14:16

I've installed the "miniwi" font successfully on Debian Linux 10 (Raspbian) by adding a font to the right directory and then editing
Code: Select all
/etc/default/console-setup

and adding
FONT="miniwi.psf.gx".

However, this font only seems to activate halfway through the boot process - I can't quite catch at what point the font is being loaded, but I'd be much happier if it loaded at boot right away - as currently the font size changes dramatically about halfway through the boot process!

Someone else mentions similar behavior here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/214302/429146

However his solution seems to be having no effect for me, I think the way Debian handles things has probably changed since then?

Is there anything I can modify/do to call this change at the very beginning of the boot process?

Many thanks :D
UnluckyForSome

Re: Console Font in Debian reverts to default on initial boo

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-08-20 17:06

UnluckyForSome wrote:(Raspbian)

That is not supported here, I've moved the thread to the Offtopic section. Ask on the Raspbian forums instead.

If this were a Debian system then I would advise to add the kernel driver for the video card in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and then rebuild the initramfs:
# update-initramfs -u -k all

That would enable an early KMS start for the driver but I don't think it will work for your disgustingly blob-infested Mali graphics chip.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Offtopic