Which are most stable video editors?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Which are most stable video editors?

Postby bester69 » 2020-09-01 12:07

hi,
Which are most stable, easy to use video editors to you?

Ive been testing some of them, and here my opinion.:
- Openshot, Pitivi and Kdenlive are rather buggy
- Lightworks and Davinci Resolve are close source, and free version limited..I didnt even got them to install or work in my system.

Then I found out and picked following three who seem to me the best and most stable, trusted to work with.:
- Cinelerra-GG : https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/
Cinelerra Accroding their page, is Designed by proffesionals..web page design and features tell me is very good quality product. Ive been using it and feels very good didint come into any trouble.. easy to use and uderstand.. (Love it)
- ShotCut: https://shotcut.org/features/
Shotcut also looks like a video editor quality product..Its has lots of features a well designed UI, easy to use, cross platform, Hardware encoding supported, well maintained.. feels very stable under linux. :o
- Flowblade : https://jliljebl.github.io/flowblade/
Flowblade presume of being Fast, Precise and Stable...Interface feels very well designed, easy to use..feels indeed very stable..lots of features...

What would you pick and why? :o
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Re: Which are most stable video editors?

Postby Nili » 2020-09-01 13:11

WM: CWM

Studio Ghibli
Nili

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-01 13:17

+100 for ffmpeg

What would you pick and why?

None of those, to start with , they are not Debian packages.... really it is just spam, promoting them here, but bester69 has special permission to do this.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby bester69 » 2020-09-01 13:42

Nili wrote:ffmpeg

Sorry that's not even possible, and none does it... then you say im the troll.. :?

flowblade, blender, obs-studio, avidemux, kdenlive and some more of them are within debian repositories... you like to fu--- a lot, why is that¿? :o
bester69

Postby stevepusser » 2020-09-02 03:35

avidemux is not in Debian, and obs-studio isn't a video editor. Most of the others are in Debian, though. Blender also has a pretty good editor built into it.

cuckooflew--please explain how to simply do video editing with ffmpeg on the command line. I'm curious, and the Google doesn't help explain how to do that.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-02 07:03

Maybe if you were specific as to what kind of edit, then I could explain how, maybe not, since I don't know what edit you want to make, I can not really guess. Besides actually that is beyond the scope of the op's question. A simple edit ? you mean like change the speed, shorten the video,or add more frames, ? Look, if you do not want to use ffmpeg, that is fine with me , I could care less, and there are tutorials on how to use it, if your interest is genuine.But any way here is one: https://programminghistorian.org/en/lessons/introduction-to-ffmpeg
Introduction to Audiovisual Transcoding, Editing, and Color Analysis with FFmpeg

Simply editing the speed:
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter:v "setpts=3*PTS" output.mp4

Something simple , like clipping :
ffmpeg -ss 00:00:30.0 -i input.wmv -c copy -t 00:00:10.0 output.wmv
ffmpeg -ss 30 -i input.wmv -c copy -t 10 output.wmv
or maybe you want to convert a video to gif,..:
convert -delay 100x100 -dispose none -loop 0 *.png gifname.gif

I use ffmpeg to do all my edits, and I found the instructions using a search engine (not google),. the manual is usefull as well , eg:
  Filtering
       Before encoding, ffmpeg can process raw audio and video frames using
       filters from the libavfilter library. Several chained filters form a
       filter graph. ffmpeg distinguishes between two types of filtergraphs:
       simple and complex.

Simple filtergraphs

Simple filtergraphs are those that have exactly one input and output,
       both of the same type. In the above diagram they can be represented by
       simply inserting an additional step between decoding and encoding:

_________                        ______________
               |         |                      |              |
               | decoded |                      | encoded data |
               | frames  |\                   _ | packets      |
               |_________| \                  /||______________|
                            \   __________   /
                 simple     _\||          | /  encoder
                 filtergraph   | filtered |/
                               | frames   |
                               |__________|

====================
Another good tutorial: https://www.algosome.com/articles/movie-editing-scripting-ffmpeg.html
However, it probably is to difficult for you or the OP to grasp, :
While this gives it a steep learning curve for those unfamiliar with running tools from the 'command line' (on a mac, this is the 'terminal' application in the Application Utilities directory, on windows the 'Command Prompt' application in the Program Accessories directory), it readily facilitates batch processing of files and videos. Below I list three uses for ffmpeg I have found important in my video editing workflow.

And the link Nili showed also is good:

Postby Nili » 2020-09-01 13:11
ffmpeg

[url=http://ffmpeg.org/documentation.html]
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
cuckooflew

Postby oswaldkelso » 2020-09-02 09:36

Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby bester69 » 2020-09-02 12:26

Last edited by bester69 on 2020-09-02 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
bester69

Postby bester69 » 2020-09-02 12:36

Dont lie, I would like you to see how do you apply any simultaneous mask filters (such as Solaris and speed reduction) at the same time, and parametetrize properly transcoding in a command code line without going yourself mad..,

By the way, you need a previewer Window with a linetime frame in order to process any edition video...
SO, HOW ARE YOU SUPPPOSE TO BYPASS THIS INCONVENIENT, by just using ffmpeg??? Dont believe any of you at all!! :lol: Organic Portals!!
bester69

Postby CwF » 2020-09-02 12:40

bester69 wrote:life is too short for that.. someone smart invented gui's to make us all life easier..... I guess you can also uso command line to replace inskape or autocad desk...

Hey, I did 'CAD' when it was line by line of lisp on a dumb terminal...walked to another building to check the plot...EVERYTHING should have a gui, then a touch, then a motion and voice...life is to short.
bester69 wrote:comeon!! are you losing it?, you're out of topic. :shock: You're talking like fanboy of BLM movement , please Organic Portals...:mrgreen:

Some Lives Matter - there are far to many...I'm starting to like you bester69.

Oh, my system cache lots of antenna TV. I use avidemux appimage for my basic clipping.
CwF

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-02 14:12

The problem with these, What is best, or what are most,...etc... It is all just opinions, you like your clicky dicky GUI's, and that is fine, those are best for those that like that.
Me, (and I could care less about the opinion of others), in this case it is ffmpeg, that is best for me, and it is stable, dependable,... If you want me to respect your opinion, then like wise have some respect for mine.
All these threads are all ways the same, organic portals, stereotypes, they think that everything they do is best, better and most popular, or what ever.... well that is fine,go on and use what is best for you, if you think that is best, why even bother asking other people what they think is best , when you have no intention of even trying something different ?
Why ?,.. The only reason is the OP seems to enjoy boasting about what they think is best, and bashing anything else anyone else prefers.
and
cuckooflew

Postby oswaldkelso » 2020-09-02 14:31

bester69 wrote:By the way, you need a previewer Window with a linetime frame in order to process any edition video...
SO, HOW ARE YOU SUPPPOSE TO BYPASS THIS INCONVENIENT, by just using ffmpeg??? Dont believe any of you at all!! :lol: Organic Portals!!

No, It's called ffplay run from a terminal

iirc If you build it from source it's part of ffmpeg though it maybe a separate package in Debian
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-02 16:15

$man ffplay
FFPLAY(1)                                                            FFPLAY(1)

NAME
       ffplay - FFplay media player

SYNOPSIS
       ffplay [options] [input_url]

DESCRIPTION
       FFplay is a very simple and portable media player using the FFmpeg
       libraries and the SDL library. It is mostly used as a testbed for the
       various FFmpeg APIs.

OPTIONS
       All the numerical options, if not specified otherwise, accept a string
       representing a number as input, which may be followed by one of the SI
       unit prefixes, for example: 'K', 'M', or 'G'.

If 'i' is appended to the SI unit prefix, the complete prefix will be
       interpreted as a unit prefix for binary multiples, which are based on
       powers of 1024 instead of powers of 1000. Appending 'B' to the SI unit
       prefix multiplies the value by 8. This allows using, for example: 'KB',
       'MiB', 'G' and 'B' as number suffixes.

Options which do not take arguments are boolean options, and set the
       corresponding value to true. They can be set to false by prefixing the
       option name with "no". For example using "-nofoo" will set the boolean
       option with name "foo" to false.

I just stumbled on to this, https://medium.com/droid-log/video-editor-18a96261077a
I was not even trying to search for Android , but it popped up. It is advanced, and requires some thinking, so probably the organic portals won't be interested.

Also: http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Linux-Video-Editors.html
Kdenlive - KDE4 based Non-Linear Video Editor which is fully featured and easy to use - Uses FFmpeg as the decoding engine, MLT as its frame server with EDL for the backbone. Configurable GUI. Handles regular DV and HD. Built-in effects. Supports video capture.
Ubuntu installation: apt-get install kdenlive =====
Open Movie Editor - FLTK GUI, FFmpeg or libquicktime decoding engine support. Can run audio through JACK Audio Connection Kit for Linux pro audio tools connectivity. Supports video asset management. Titles using Inkscape. Can use multiple formats, Frame Rates, Frame Sizes, Video Codecs and Video Containers. Support for filters, color adjustment, effects and node based composting. Written in C++.

bester69 wrote:

Sorry that's not even possible, and none does it... then you say im the troll.. :?

flowblade, blender, obs-studio, avidemux, kdenlive and some more of them are within debian repositories... you like to fu--- a lot, why is that¿? :o

Actually that is not true, and not relevant any way, the truth is , eg: Above, "kdenlive".
Kdenlive - KDE4 based Non-Linear Video Editor which is fully featured and easy to use - Uses FFmpeg as the decoding engine, ---snip---

Many of these fancy GUI programs, simply would be useless without ffmpeg. They depend on it.
As far as avidemux goes, the link says :
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Linux-Video-Editors.html
Avidemux - very simple editor supporting filtering, encoding, simple cuts. Supports AVI, MP4. Scriptable mode as well. Not enough features to do many basic video editing tasks.

Hmm, ffmpeg, can be used for "simple cuts", plus has a lot of other features that make it useful for many other video editing tasks.
I forgot to mention, but if I do need to do any actual graphics, EG : In a animation video, and I need to do some painting, or drawing, image edits, Image Magick, combined with ffmpeg, is great for me. Of course the OP (organic portal) will not agree, but that is ok, I am glad they are happy with their limited software, I am happy with my unlimited methods.
and
cuckooflew

Postby Zjho » 2020-09-02 18:31

cuckooflew wrote:<snip>
Hmm, ffmpeg, can be used for "simple cuts", plus has a lot of other features that make it useful for many other video editing tasks.
I forgot to mention, but if I do need to do any actual graphics, EG : In a animation video, and I need to do some painting, or drawing, image edits, Image Magick, combined with ffmpeg, is great for me. Of course the OP (organic portal) will not agree, but that is ok, I am glad they are happy with their limited software, I am happy with my unlimited methods.

Animation video progress after painting, drawing etc would need to be monitored so is juggling three entirely separate apps such as FFplay, FFmpeg and Image Magick at once better than using just one graphical video editor such as Blender ? Would better mean more useful, easier or both ?
Zjho

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-09-02 19:10

Well, that depends, for some people blender is easier, and more use full, but when I tried it, no, it was not, I couldn't find the right buttons to click, etc,...so I went back to what I prefer,... you posted while I was writing a rather long post. Blender is fine, for those that like that sort of thing, nothing wrong with it at all,...No I am not saying this way or that way is better, I am saying It can be done this way (ffmpeg,etc, )using a terminal, (CLI), A package like Blender, is really just doing the same thing:
Zjho >>Animation video progress after painting, drawing etc would need to be monitored so is juggling three entirely separate apps such as FFplay, FFmpeg and Image Magick at once

It juggles various tools (not apps, android uses those), I don't know if Blender uses the same tools, but it is juggling various tools, just like I am with various terminals open, ..and since I was lost , using Blender , it was easier for me to go back to what is easier for me. ==any way,hope that answers your question.

bester69 wrote:

No, not a troll, "organic portal" is more appropriate, and have no clue about how the so called video editors work, yes they are convenient for those that do not know how to work using cli tools, which ones are needed for a specific project. Yes, sometimes additional tools are needed , by it's self ffmpeg is limited, but I started using it when using another OS, and there are not any real "pre packaged" video editors available, and ffmpeg was available, it is considered essential, and after a short while, I found I was able to do everything I needed to with ffmpeg, I used to be like the OP, and others, I did not think these "edits" were possible with out the pre-packaged software,..but I was wrong..
Ahh, forgot just now what I had planned on saying, it is RE: "flowblade" , I am sure it is a great package, and one reason it is great, it includes ffmpeg,... :mrgreen:
https://jliljebl.github.io/flowblade/webhelp/rendering.html
Rendering behind the scenes: MLT and libavformat(FFMpeg)

Flowblade Movie Editor is a Python application interfacing to MLT multitrack media framework. Other video editing applications build on top of MLT include OpenShot and Kdenlive.

MLT uses C-library libavformat(FFMpeg) to render output files, and rendering is defined by setting FFMpeg encoding parameters. These parameters are delivered from Flowblade Movie Editor to MLT by creating a "avformat" Consumer object for a given Render Profile, and then setting its Rendering Args. These latter arguments are exactly the same which are used when using FFmpeg to encode video files.

Rendering arguments for encoding different types of video files are pre-packed and can be selected using Encocing / Format and Quality Drop Down Menus. Arguments can be refined by checking Render with args Checkbox and changing args values and/or adding/removing args.

Any kind of video files supported by the installed version of MLT can be encoded by creating a user defined Render Profile and setting its Rendering Args. Google for FFMpeg encoding to find Args combinations for different video files.

Search web for information on encoding files with FFMpeg to get examples of Rendering Args that can be used.

But any way, I do understand "Flowblade" is great for those that need easy to use, "buttons", and instructions, beginners and such EG:
UI actions:

Right Mouse Click render item to show render item context menu.
Save Item Project As... allows the user to save the Project file of the render item into same other location
Render Properties displays the render properties that were set when the item was added to render queue.
Delete deletes the item from queue

So a beginner does not really even need to know how to read a manual, or type a command, or anything really.
=======
What I do is using a text editor, write my command, or multiple commands, needed to perform a certain task, after trying the code in the terminal, and if it works the way I want, I then save that text file (notes), and it is a matter of simple , open the text file, "left click the mouse to select the code string I need", then "middle click" the mouse to paste into the terminal, that is open on one side of the screen,... of course the more I use ffmpeg, the more scripts,etc . I have, for me it is very simple, since I have all the commands, and scripts I use, occasionally I do make a new one.

another quote from a support issue, even though support questions are not usually accepted:
Flowblade uses MLT (https://www.mltframework.org/) Python bindings to do the things you are interested in. Reading files edit.py and mltplayer.py could help you.

If you can get MLT and its Python bindigs running on arm64 you should be able to do all you need. MLT however depends on FFMPEG project, so you will need to get that code running on arm64 too. I do not think MLT has been ported to arm64, so you would need port MLT also.

I don't use arm64, but apparently it does not support these tools.

bester69>>Sorry that's not even possible, and none does it... then you say im the troll.. :?

It is possible, and also combined with statements like this one:

And the OP is so dense, they do not understand why some people call them a troll,
You know, when you start calling people names, and using "shouts", with big text,..it kind of makes you sound like a troll, as far as explaining to you how to bypass something, or:
bester69>>
By the way, you need a previewer Window with a linetime frame in order to process any edition video...

With ffmpeg, it will open up a window and play the video, or part if you include that in the command, but no point in explaining how, to a troll, that has no intention of trying or using it,...hah hah the funniest part is they have been using it, (if they use the "Flowblade" they mention,... It is not a lie like the OP says,
ffmpeg

Dont lie, I would like you to see how do you apply any simultaneous mask filters (such as Solaris and speed reduction)

I all ready did post some command line, that reduces the speed, that is one of the simpler tasks, that can be done using ffmpeg.
And as for the rest, just read some of the documentation, there is plenty:
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=how+do+you+apply+any+simultaneous+mask+filters+such+as+Solaris+and+speed+reduction+using+ffmpeg&cat=web&pl=ext-ff&language=english&extVersion=1.3.0
=========
https://manpages.debian.org/experimental/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-all.1.en.html16 Jun 2020 ... which can be processed further by filtering (see next section). ... If no such file is found, then ffmpeg will search for a file named ... If a value higher than the bandwidth is used, it will be reduced to 1 less than the coupling end band. ... 1 for surround sound with masking and LFE bandwidth optimizations, and ...

==============
ffplay Documentation - FFmpeg
Anonymous View

Use the -bsfs option to get a list of all bitstream filters. ... 0 means silence, 100 means no volume reduction or amplification. ... Set spatial complexity masking. ... This option makes it possible to decode such streams correctly by using lavc's old buggy ... The internal facility will take care of any speed and congestion control.

==================
How do I reduce frames with blending in ffmpeg - Stack Overflow
Anonymous View

Try ffmpeg -h. or ffmpeg --help. and you'll have a short help. Please read it. :) Try ffmpeg -filters. and you'll have a list of available filters. Try

There is much more, so No, Nili is not lying, neither am I, and perhaps if the OP learned to stop calling people "organic portals", and being a obnoxious jerk, perhaps then we would not consider the OP a troll, ... Not all of us are like the OP, (organic portal), and it is rude to say we are, ... In any event thank you for sharing your discovery , wow, you are so Kool, you found a bunch of video editors, and have your opinion of which ones are "most stable", it has been a interesting topic, and you really do give me some laughs, I enjoy that. Have a good day.
and
cuckooflew

Next

Return to Offtopic