Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

YouTube-DL nuked

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Bulkley

YouTube-DL nuked

#1 Post by Bulkley »

GitHub has hidden from view the source code and downloads of YouTube-DL, a popular open-source tool used for saving YouTube videos to disk, at the request of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
Full article at The Register.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: YouTube-DL nuked

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

DMCA letter here for those who don't want to visit that stupid Register site: https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/mas ... 23-RIAA.md
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Interesting alternative from jwz (of xscreensaver & Netscape fame): https://www.jwz.org/hacks/youtubedown
deadbang

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Looks like it's not the only thing that's been nuked; a lot of stuff judged not to comply with "community guidelines" for videos has also in recent times. Not exactly in the spirit of Voltaire's famous quotation, ‘I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.’
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Lol, gotta do it ...

Don't get me wrong I use and like youtube-dl much. First off there'll probably always be convenient tools and means, also do strongly believe where there's a will, there's almost always a way but let's not confuse anything like defending free speech or whatever else noble with wanting to rip off YT content. :D

Could give a whit for google Inc, not sure how YT is even legal itself in many ways. Reasonable much of the content they allow on there should be slapped down within 10mins of getting uploaded. The people I feel sorry for are the actual originators, artists or performers involved in these entertaining works. Meaning those who clearly do want whatever rights to songs/vids enforced. Obviously the folks most deserving of compensation and least likely to get any fair share. It's google's or other right holders jobs to make it tough on people raiding their content, others to get access to whatever content wished on our terms. The world keeps turning, the beat goes on, shrugs. :)

Glad I've got this, errrr friend who just beefed up their music library. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by oswaldkelso »

I see it shared again today. by the dmca! :lol: This one will be the next "dvd john" and "09F9" If the community wants it and the community will get
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian