Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Well....I tried

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
MechDesigner

Well....I tried

#1 Post by MechDesigner »

Judging from my experiences in the 90's with Linux. I should have known not to even try...

Task: to update Debian operating system on a Beaglebone black so we can upgrade hplip, etc.

Failure: Updating Wheezy on a Beaglebone black.
I can get to jessie, but after that, the internet connection gets broken somehow and I can't upgrade any further. Tried a number of suggestions on the internet and user's groups...no luck.

OK...forget the upgrade and install fresh Debian 10

Failure: Starting a fresh installation of Debian 10 on a Beaglebone black.
After a solid week or more, I figured out how to get the screen resolution set, autologin, auto execution of our application...

And all of those tasks required some investigation because at first nothing worked and I had to run through 3 or 4 suggestions to make something work.

And I spent another week trying to figure out why the USB port doesn't come up when the BBB starts up...since it does do that with the wheezy installation.

I asked for help...got the usual 'your brain dead' and your on your own type of answer.

So... I give up. We will have to pay someone to do an upgrade on our system, as an engineer I have better things to do than banging my head on a wall trying to get
this to work.

And no one needs the usual 25 step command line solution to a linux problem. Why is there even such a thing in 2020 after Linux has been around for so long.
Why are we still dealing with command line? ( I've seen answers to that, and they are BS ).

For industry...Linux is still a nightmare.

reinob

Re: Well....I tried

#2 Post by reinob »

MechDesigner wrote:For industry...Linux Beaglebone is still a nightmare.
There, I corrected it for you.

I don't think debian supports Beaglebone. You probably need their frankendebian with some 2.6 kernel or whatever.
It's hard to make debian work on any random board. You need support from the board, not from debian.

Good luck in any case.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Maybe this is what you are looking for. BeagleBoard.org Latest Firmware Images

reinob is right that the Beaglebone folks have made some of their own adjustments the OS.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Rant moved to the Offtopic section.
deadbang

mm3100

#5 Post by mm3100 »

Did you follow instructions on https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... BeagleBone and still didn't had luck with it? It says there
Update: As of March 2014 BeagleBoard officially provides Debian builds here.
So did you follow their instructions on https://beagleboard.org/latest-images/?
Has more here too https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian, https://beagleboard.org/debian.

I am just spamming with links now, just in case you didn't check them.

stevepusser

I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end, it really d

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Looks like they have a 10.3 image...
MX Linux packager and developer

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

MechDesigner wrote:And no one needs the usual 25 step command line solution to a linux problem. Why is there even such a thing in 2020 after Linux has been around for so long.
Why are we still dealing with command line?
First, You should replace the 'command line' term with 'shell interface' - it means that by using the shell You're talking directly to the OS/kernel.

Second: "no one needs the usual 25 step command" -> the thing is that in Linux-based OS You actually *can have* a low-level solution - try that with Winblows on BBB - You should find an icon described as "solve all my problems" and click it ... :lol:

But seriously: You're using a hardware which is not directly supported by Debian. Debian is an universal operating system in the sense, that competent system designer can bring it to work on just any hardware - newbies should just stick to default setups, and if this doesn't work, You should ask the creators of the BBB Debian spin for help.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by oswaldkelso »

BBB is very well liked by many users. Even marked as "Supported Hardware" by freedombox
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian