Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Microsoft repo secretly installed on all Raspberry Pi’s Linu

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Microsoft repo secretly installed on all Raspberry Pi’s

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The really outrageous thing is that the Raspbian developers added it to the main component of their repositories, which is in complete violation of Debian Policy. The bastards... :x
deadbang

arzgi

#22 Post by arzgi »

i used this quide
https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/he ... -linux-os/
to survive until I get Debian installed to my spare RPI 1B which HDMI connector is broken. Currently trying preseed installation.

Deb-fan

#24 Post by Deb-fan »

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they start making vacuum cleaners. :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#25 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Deb-fan wrote:The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they start making vacuum cleaners. :D
:lol:
+1
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

dice

#26 Post by dice »

I was going to get a rpi4 but dont believe i will bother now that they have partnered with microsoft, i say partnered loosely here mind you. I believe once you let them in you may as well put that sticker on side of the case.

Head_on_a_Stick

#27 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Hello dice, fancy seeing you here :)
dice wrote:I was going to get a rpi4
De??an users should avoid Raspberry Pi devices, they rely on binary blobs to boot and for their video chips. The platform is inherently proprietary.
deadbang

dice

#28 Post by dice »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Hello dice, fancy seeing you here :)
dice wrote:I was going to get a rpi4
De??an users should avoid Raspberry Pi devices, they rely on binary blobs to boot and for their video chips. The platform is inherently proprietary.
:D indeed!

yeah i read a page back what you said about blobs so that was another nail in the coffin for me as well.

other than rpi i was looking at odroids as well, any recommendations ?

Head_on_a_Stick

#29 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dice wrote:any recommendations ?
I don't have any single board computers but I would probably go for HiFive's new Unmatched board 'cos RISC-V.

The Debian wiki has some (probably outdated) recommendations: https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi#Sho ... erry_Pi.3F

But you should probably open a new thread for this, it is off-topic here.
deadbang

dice

#30 Post by dice »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dice wrote:any recommendations ?
I don't have any single board computers but I would probably go for HiFive's new Unmatched board 'cos RISC-V.

The Debian wiki has some (probably outdated) recommendations: https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi#Sho ... erry_Pi.3F

But you should probably open a new thread for this, it is off-topic here.
ok fair enough, thanks.

Deb-fan

#31 Post by Deb-fan »

More ramblings :P ... Gnu/Linux .. Debian and open source long since cured me of the bane of Microsoft too, so since I don't need them for any of my computing needs I'm happier now. Surely I've already said it in this thread but if did get a Pi of course it's going to have pure Debian on it. I get that people need to make money, it's business but have often found someone can do that without having to be scummy or all this corporate sleaze.

Still don't doubt there are tons of people who don't/won't do business that way. Even if it seems scumtastic is the new SOP = standard operating procedure, are plenty of good people remaining too. Always has been, always will be. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

arzgi

#32 Post by arzgi »

Yesterday downloaded 2021-03-04-raspios-buster-armhf-lite, and when booted it on my RPi 1.0 saw message 'blocking vscode repo" and later "removing 3rd party sources".

Seems the discussion has turned raspberry-foundations head :mrgreen: