Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WSL Debian - How to launch KDE (and Gnome) in WSL

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
thornbush

WSL Debian - How to launch KDE (and Gnome) in WSL

#1 Post by thornbush »

Greetings.

I have installed WSL and Ubuntu, Kali and Debian Linux. It is possible to launch Ubuntu and Kali, but not Debian, as I have tryed, with XFCE graphical environment, by a batch script file with these commands:

Code: Select all

start /B x410.exe /desktop
ubuntu2004.exe run "if [ -z \"$(pidof xfce4-session)\" ]; then export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0; xfce4-session; pkill '(gpg|ssh)-agent'; fi;"
Can you help me with a batch scrit file to launch Debian WSL with XFCE, Gnome and/or Kde?

The following link has a batch file for KDE, but it is for the Fedora distribution: Windows 10 + WSL2 + Fedora Remix + KDE + X410

Observation: I'm still newbie.

thanks for you attention.
AMD Duron, Debian Squeeze, GNOME desktop environment.
God became flesh so that man may become God in life and nature, but not in the Godhead.

RU55EL

Re: WSL Debian - How to launch KDE (and Gnome) in WSL

#2 Post by RU55EL »

If you are refering to Windows Subsystem for Linux, you should ask on a Microsoft Windows forum.

thornbush

#3 Post by thornbush »

RU55EL wrote:If you are refering to Windows Subsystem for Linux, you should ask on a Microsoft Windows forum.
because of your word, I have tryed these: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answer ... n-wsl.html and https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=170036

thanks anyway
AMD Duron, Debian Squeeze, GNOME desktop environment.
God became flesh so that man may become God in life and nature, but not in the Godhead.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try 'startx' instead of 'xfce4-session'.

Thread moved to the Offtopic section.
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

thornbush wrote:It is possible to launch Ubuntu and Kali, but not Debian
Thanks God(s)!
Hopefully WSL will never be able to launch Debian!
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

trinidad

#6 Post by trinidad »

Consider the limitations of the whole pointless endeavour that WSL is in the first place, and just use qemu and xming to begin with, or even ssh, qemu and x11 forwarding to xming. WSL is NOT a true cross platform integrated system on either end of its stupid code, and does not really use kernel mods and packages during installation. Every single thing it aims to accomplish, including its touted convenience for developers can be achieved in a better more efficient way by thinking through what you want to do and using the correct setup and software for cross platform connections. It's really just a novelty directed at dawdling hobbyists. Of any MS actual progress toward desktop modernization one can only wryly comment on the age of the bungled overwritten code base involved, and the only "improvement" toward using its archaic base with any actual promise is power shell.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.