Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

To whom it may concern

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

To whom it may concern

#1 Post by Lavene »

To whoever sent me the following e-mail:
Hi,
I want to install the operating system and have tried to download the disks. It says it has downloaded it but when I open the disk player there are no disk there. Can you help me?
My reply bounced but I assume you got my address from this forum so I'll post it here:
If you are joking it's hilarious! I was ROFL for ten minutes! If you are serious, stick with Windows for now... Honest; 'The operating system' is not for you.

All the best.
Tina

Noven

#2 Post by Noven »

I want that operating system that can do that kinda magic =D

hkoster1

Re: To whom it may concern

#3 Post by hkoster1 »

Lavene wrote: My reply bounced but I assume you got my address from this forum so I'll post it here:
...stick with Windows for now... Honest; 'The operating system' is not for you. Tina
You have committed a serious breach of Debian forum policy, because Debian is for everyone. You will be reported.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

Nope, this joker did not ask for help on the forum ;)

But thanks for the notice. I will discuss it with my self and if I find that you are correct I will give my self a reprimand...

actionM

#5 Post by actionM »

hkoster1 wrote:
Lavene wrote: My reply bounced but I assume you got my address from this forum so I'll post it here:
...stick with Windows for now... Honest; 'The operating system' is not for you. Tina
You have committed a serious breach of Debian forum policy, because Debian is for everyone. You will be reported.
Haha! You would make a fine moderator!

chrismortimore

#6 Post by chrismortimore »

Lavene wrote:But thanks for the notice. I will discuss it with my self and if I find that you are correct I will give my self a reprimand...
Sounds naughty :P
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

AgenT

#7 Post by AgenT »

It may also have been someone who does not write in English very well. Those sentences have some very simple grammar mistakes such as confusing singular with plural.

There is no need to mock this user, especially if he or she is serious. Maybe they just want to experiment? Just point such a user to the following website:
Goodbye Microsoft [Debian Windows Installer]

Optional

#8 Post by Optional »

omg omg Debian is for everyone /froth /froth /froth :roll:

Someone pass the Kool-Aid.
Have a question? for f in $(ls /usr/bin/); do man $f; done :lol:
----
Love Freedom? Love Liberty? Hate Bush? Vote Ron Paul in 2008!

<(DmC)>

#9 Post by <(DmC)> »

[...]
I [...] have tried to download the disks. It says it has downloaded it but when I open the disk player there are no disk there. [...]
MUHARHARHARHARHARHAR! I hope this was a joke, for it is very funny! :lol:
If the person is serious, one might expect him/her to post in the forums instead of personally writing to Lavene... or do you get a lot of question-mails like that Lavene?
so long,
The moribund <(DmC)> salutes you
Highest excellence is like water.
The virtue of water appears in its benefiting all things,
and in its occupying, without striving,
the low place which all men dislike.

DeanLinkous

#10 Post by DeanLinkous »

It says it has downloaded it but when I open the disk player there are no disk there.
That is how I download all of my disks....works great!
:lol:

ps - I agree, domecq and kink will be very upset considering that user may come here and read that debian isn't for them!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#11 Post by Lavene »

It's a joke. The e-mail address it originates from does not exist so I suspect someone used one if the 'expiring e-mail' services or something. I found it so funny that I'd wanted to share it. That's all...

I honestly think that no one is both *that* stupid and at the same time able to contemplate changing OS.

And judging from the language I strongly suspect it is some of my Norwegian friends pulling a prank on me. A well known phenomena :)

So to sum up; I have no reason to believe it's real. If I thought it was real I would not post it here.

Tina
Last edited by Lavene on 2007-05-26 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#12 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

rippin

#13 Post by rippin »

<snip>

Just point such a user to the following website:
Goodbye Microsoft [Debian Windows Installer][/quote]

Well, I went to that web site from my EtchaScetch boxen and couldn't run the EXE - even as ROOT !

:wink:

simen

#14 Post by simen »

sk8r-365 wrote:
Well, I went to that web site from my EtchaScetch boxen and couldn't run the EXE - even as ROOT !
Did you try it in WINE?

--Simen

rippin

#15 Post by rippin »

simen wrote: Did you try it in WINE?

--Simen
Got it going ... booted a LiveVista CD with built-in linuxwrapper-0.05rc1-rpm.deb_0.exe, loaded Vista to ramdisk, executed linuxwrapper and BOOM! I've got Debian with the _real_ WOW! factor.

I like the idea so well that I added the URL to my news sig... as a public service announcement, of course.