Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why upgrade to GPL version 3

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
AgenT

Why upgrade to GPL version 3

#1 Post by AgenT »

Quick summery of the article:
- Keeping a program under GPLv2 won't create problems.
- Crucial for Digital Restrictions Management
- Ban on tivoization applies to any product whose use by consumers
- Another threat that GPLv3 resists is that of patent deals like the Novell-Microsoft deal
- GPLv3 also provides for explicit patent protection of the users from the program's contributors and redistributors.
- GPLv3 seeks to limit and channel [software patent] danger
- Change is unlikely to cease once GPLv3 is released.
Do yourself a favor and read the whole article as the above summery is taken somewhat out of context.
[Why upgrade to GPL version 3]

rickh

#2 Post by rickh »

I read the article, and while I didn't really learn anything, I don't need any more convincing that GPL3 is a good thing.

By my analysis, many of the heroes of FLOSS's roots have, with age, moved into a relationship with the corporate world seeking to monetize Linux, that I find uncomfortable. In that regard, I would name people like Linux Torvalds, Eric S. Raymond, and (unfortunately) Ian Murdock. Among those who have stood firm in the belief that free means freedom, are Bruce Perens and Richard Stallman.

The article is correct in noting that GPL3 will not be the final victory. If anything, GPL4 will be needed even sooner. The GPL was not taken seriously until the realization set in, that it had teeth, and that those teeth could prevent the simple co-option of it to turn big-money into even bigger-money. Now it is taken very seriously indeed, and has many more eyes looking for loopholes.

God bless all those developers who have released their code under "GPL 2, or higher."
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Optional

#3 Post by Optional »

So that RMS doesn't hunt you down and kill you.
Have a question? for f in $(ls /usr/bin/); do man $f; done :lol:
----
Love Freedom? Love Liberty? Hate Bush? Vote Ron Paul in 2008!

Jackiebrown

#4 Post by Jackiebrown »

I was to agree with richk on this.

Not only because of the the Novell / Microsoft deal.

The fact is, now the GPL is being attacked stronger than ever before. We can no longer trust the old leaders to continue to act in the "spirit" of the GPL; they will only act as far as their lawyers can tear it apart.

It is a sad reality -and this is politics aside - it is a generation problem from those before and after us that only care about themselves

Vergil

#5 Post by Vergil »

Optional wrote:So that RMS doesn't hunt you down and kill you.
He does sleep with a sword under his pillow....
http://xkcd.com/c225.html

diego1116

#6 Post by diego1116 »

Vergil wrote:
Optional wrote:So that RMS doesn't hunt you down and kill you.
He does sleep with a sword under his pillow....
http://xkcd.com/c225.html
That's really true!

Some Brazilian guys sent him a katana sword, as you can see at http://br-linux.org/linux/com-katana-st ... ntra-ataca.

There's no English version, but the page contains the answer of RMS himself:
Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 1:14 AM
Reply-To: rms at gnu.org
To: Rafael Roquetto
Cc: jrasata at gnu.org

The sword has arrived. Thank you. However, I am not sure what to do
with it, other then keep it near my bed.
People at the FSF office were quite amazed by it, and took some photos
of me with it. They can send you the photos. I hope you find them
amusing.
You can see the pictures at http://www.gnu.org/people/jag/rms-with-katana/.

Optional

#7 Post by Optional »

Wow, I almost regret posting that comment :lol:
Have a question? for f in $(ls /usr/bin/); do man $f; done :lol:
----
Love Freedom? Love Liberty? Hate Bush? Vote Ron Paul in 2008!

AgenT

#8 Post by AgenT »

From what I understand, Linus never really cared about the politics, but instead about the technology. He just seems incapable of realizing that the politics (GPL) is what made his work and love of technology possible. Yes, the GPL itself is not that important because another license can fill its gaps, but the idea behind it and freedom for software is. If the right laws were to go into effect, Linus' whole project goes down the toilet so it is rather unfortunate that Linus does not seem to care about such things.

Although recently Linus himself has stated that GPLv3 seems good enough and is no longer so against it. I guess someone had to draw him a simple sketch or diagram so that he can understand it better because if you read his criticisms of GPLv3 it is obvious that he did not really understand it. Maybe it should not be expected of engineers to understand non-engineering things, somewhat like expecting lawyers to understand engineering. Luckily, Richard Stallman understands both, computers/programming/engineering and the equally or even more important political side of it.

Vergil

#9 Post by Vergil »

diego1116 wrote: Some Brazilian guys sent him a katana sword, as you can see at http://br-linux.org/linux/com-katana-st ... ntra-ataca.
:lol: That is just to funny!