Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Things You Would Like Changed

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Carlosinfl

Things You Would Like Changed

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

I was wondering what you guys would like to see changed for the better in the Linux world?

My only problem I don't like is the poor selection of "media" players for Linux. I have tried "Mplayer . Xine . Totem" and they all feel too clumsy and messy.

We need a well structured media player for linux that works like WMP and or WINAmp. I love watching movies and listening to music but in Linux it can be annoying due to media player support or lacking of.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Well I like mplayer... :-)
However these are the things I miss:

* FTP client.
This may sound odd, but none of the ftp clients capable what I want an FTP client be capable of. These things are:
- Queue handling. The queue of course would not to be 'forget' upon exit.
- The queue should be stoppable to be resumed later
- SSL handling, 'cause I'm paranoid
- Should be free of course
- Should be textmode only
- And finally, it would be nice to have a 'two-panel' interface. Or one panel, the point is, that I could see the files, make selections, do anything, and when I'm finished, add all of the selections to the queue and go to sleep :-)

* A decent "open" window for GTK programs
Because the current "open" windows simply suck. There are two types of it, one is used by gvim, for example, and the other is used by Gimp. The former have shortcuts on the left, which are useless, and cannot be edited in any way, the latter doesn't have a field to which I can enter the path of the file I'd like to open. If I type the path to the "filename" field, it doesn't follow the path nor it completes on TAB. If I start to write without the filename filed is selected, a field will pop up, which completes the written path seemingly randomly. Simply unusable except for a Microsoft Certified Doubleclicker, maybe...

No other things are coming to my mind, but there are more, I'm sure.. maybe later... :-)

Ps.: if anyone knows an FTP client capable of all what I wrote, let me know ASAP :-)

jobezone

Re: Things You Would Like Changed

#3 Post by jobezone »

Carloswill wrote:I was wondering what you guys would like to see changed for the better in the Linux world?

My only problem I don't like is the poor selection of "media" players for Linux. I have tried "Mplayer . Xine . Totem" and they all feel too clumsy and messy.

We need a well structured media player for linux that works like WMP and or WINAmp. I love watching movies and listening to music but in Linux it can be annoying due to media player support or lacking of.
Well, I hope that in gstreamer will be better, so I can solely use totem for all my needs. Right now, I use totem for most videos, and gxine or vlc for those which don't work with the previous. I think gstreamer will or may be adopted by KDE in the future release.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!