Travel Question For Dutch Members

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Travel Question For Dutch Members

Postby Carlosinfl » 2007-06-13 01:18

I will be in Holland again in AUG and I was wondering what is the best way to travel to the Czech Republic from Holland? Would you recommend a train or should I fly? I checked out Ryanair.com and they fly out from Brussels only and they don't appear to go to Czech (Brno)

Thanks for any info!
Carlosinfl

Re: Travel Question For Dutch Members

Postby garrincha » 2007-06-13 01:30

Carloswill wrote:I will be in Holland again in AUG and I was wondering what is the best way to travel to the Czech Republic from Holland? Would you recommend a train or should I fly? I checked out Ryanair.com and they fly out from Brussels only and they don't appear to go to Czech (Brno)

Thanks for any info!

Ryanair is Irish airliner! :) I don't think that they fly from Brussels to Prague or any one of Czech cities, though you could check.

Their website:
http://www.bookryanair.com/skylights/cg ... lights.cgi

Nope - no flight with Ryanair from Brussels to Brno or anywhere in Czech. I have been to Holland and Belgium before, but I usually travel via Eurostar and the local train.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

Postby dickr » 2007-06-13 06:10

By train is O.K. You travel mainly thru germany and that is not an ugly country.
You could also rent-a-car. Driving thru germany by car means "autobahn without speed limits". If that appeals to you.....
I code object-dis-oriented
dickr

Postby hkoster1 » 2007-06-13 07:23

By train would be an environmentally sound choice. For example, you could do it as follows:

1. ICE high speed service Amsterdam - Cologne (about 2 hours, the last part of this leg at 300+ km/h).

2. Overnight sleeper Cologne - Vienna.

3. Vienna - Brno, in under 2 hours, possibly via Bratislava.

Don't go by car, too many construction sites and too many trucks... you can always rent a car at your destination.
hkoster1

Postby sinical » 2007-06-13 08:20

dickr wrote:You could also rent-a-car. Driving thru germany by car means "autobahn without speed limits".
Which really sucks when you are in a little golf and you got porsches and ferraris overtaking you at 250+kp/h :) Take the train, they are really nice and comfy and fast
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn
sinical

Re: Travel Question For Dutch Members

Postby garrincha » 2007-06-13 09:56

[quote="Carloswill"][/quote]

As suggested travelling by rail via Germany is a good way to do it. Rail is faster in France & Germany than in UK and USA.

Rail Europe
http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

TGV
http://www.tgv.com/

Rail Europe Blog
http://raileurope.typepad.com/
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

Postby sinical » 2007-06-13 09:59

Eurail passes pwn too
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn
sinical

Postby ABCC » 2007-06-13 16:32

It all boils down to price and the time you want to spend travelling. A cheap flight is nice and quick, but you don't get to see anything at all. The ICE trains often cost about the same or a bit less, but give you a bit more flexibility in terms of travelling dates. Having a good time - stay another day.

Also, taking the high speed trains is fun as you get to see far more (unless you take the sleeper of course, I'd try to take the ICE as much as possible, say to Berlin and then south to Brno). You can get 3 day tickets in Germany which allow unrestricted travel on the ICE on 3 non-consecutive days, you'll have to buy a Dutch ticket to get to the border and one for the last leg in the Czech Republic. If the alternative is train to brussels, flight to hungary, train to final destination you might aswell use the train the whole way. Deutsche Bahn should be able to inform you of current ticket options (the above info is as it was 2 years ago.)

HTH,

ABCC
ABCC

Return to Offtopic